HELP! The AI is so slow at the beginning of the race!

Posted by joselugo8690 
Hi everyone, well I'm Jose and I just discovered this gem of a game just in 2020 and I like absolutely everything, except for one thing and that is that AI seems to me to be very slow at the beginning of the race, I always start in the last position, but before the first corner I can overtake at least 10 cars, which is very unreal, is there any way to fix this? Beforehand thank you very much

Sorry for the bad English - Google Translate
Hello José, welcome to the community! Unfortunately this is a limitation of GP4.

And some tracks like China, which have the first corner with a long radius, are more difficult to overtake so many cars.

What I do personally is a personal rule, I do not overtake the cars inside the first corner, just outside.

---

Olá José, bem vindo ao comunidade! Infelizmente essa é uma limitação do GP4.

Em algumas pistas como a China, que possui a primeira curva com um longo raio, é mais difícil de ultrapassar tantos carros.

O que eu faço pessoalmente é uma regra pessoal, eu não ultrapasso os carros por dentro na primeira curva, apenas por fora.
+1

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
That's a good idea livejackass... Thanks for reply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 10:22PM by joselugo8690.
Oh yeah, I know this. I was starting from 22nd position at Spa 2001 today and was 4th after the first corner. ;) (Y)

P.S.: I have also won the race with 8.5 seconds lead to the second placed driver. :-) (H)
I dont know if you've seen indycar starts / restarts after caution, but I try to do something similar at the start of the race so that I don't have an advantage compared to the AI. I keep my car at their pace for the first corner and then I speed up like everyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 11:29PM by Kashima12.
I think is a bug... Because when I star the race on front of the grid always lose positions. :)
i don't think it's unrealistic or a bug at all. sure, the ai behaviour is a bit defensive. but only because you are in a game and not in reality, you probably take much more risk to do the overtakes (you wouldn't do that in reality because you'd fear to crash and loose the race).
compare it to games like rfactor 2 where you can set the aggresivity of the ai; if you set it to high, there is much more blocking and overtaking at the start, but you will also see many cars crash or go off the track at the first corner.

btw; if you set the difficulty to "ace", the ai is stronger at the start too.

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
I don't know if it is a bug Carl, but to me it certainly is more then just 'ai behaviour is a bit defensive'. The ai is simply braking way to early for the first turn.
An interesting thing to diversify AI is to make a "race" on FreePratice. Put in the GPXpatch an amount of gas for how many laps you want and put the 22 there on the track. The start is lemans style and with the correct performance it is very difficult to overtake because the AI does not take the defensive path. The slow start problem is also eliminated.
roninho
The ai is simply braking way to early for the first turn.

It's as simple as that; If your the only one not breaking early for the first turn, you will crash into the other cars. ;-)

I did a test in Belgium with vanilla track and Ace AI, starting last in the Jordan (arguably 4th fastest car in 2001). I managed to go up to 8th before getting to the 1st corner hairpin. :-O

But I think this track is where this thing is most apparent. Other breaking zones are not as extreme.
Yes and it happens in reality as well;
Alonso - Malaysia 2004
and in Belgium...we've seen as well what you've desribed: Belgium 2012
...or Schumacher's start from last place in Suzuka 1998.
Just to mention a few. And all of them took extremely high risks.
Seriously, as i said, the AI is a bit defensive in GP4. But it's the same thing in other sim's as well (if the AI isn't set too aggressive and otherweise, there will be crashes). Except for F1 2019, but that's an arcade game.
:-)

Yea they are trying not to cause a Belgium 98' kind of pile-up so they brake very early. You make quite a valid point with your videos and I agree with your explanation! ;-)

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I made up all those positions when the AI started braking for the first turn, I'm usually the type that gets a horrible get-off (from 0 to 100 km/h), unlike the amazing starts from the drivers in the vids. The initial get-off of the AI (from 0 to 300 km/h) is alright, the first braking zone though seems quite exaggerated, thus the player can squeeze between them and brake very very late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 11:59AM by Kashima12.
Re: HELP! The AI is so slow at the beginning of the race!
Date: October 30, 2023 03:32PM
Posted by: jcgrj
Hi guys,

I'm facing this problem in Buenos Aires 1979 and Interlagos 1980 circuits where the race start is very easy to overtake other cars on MOD 1980.
I'm trying to reduce this slowing my 1st gear but still not so effective to solve this problem.
Would like to hear if someone discover another creative solution :-)

Best

Jose
Date: November 01, 2023 01:51AM
Anybody have any distinct suggestion about this? Is it possible to have a more aggressive AI?

My solution improve but not good enough ( lower player 1st gear and increase grip of AI ).
Stay still in the grid spot for 5 seconds?

A Scotsman in Indonesia. A fan of the Far East & all their drivers & an advocate of women in motorsport / GPGNC - S3: Team Philippines, S4/S5: Team Japan, S6: Team Indonesia (S6 runner-up)
Date: November 01, 2023 08:25PM
Could be a solution but not so nice :-) anyway thanks for the suggestion!!!
There are two settings in magic data that specifically influence the behaviour of AI cars during a race start.

The first value is in line 49 (default CMagic description: "subtracted from diff between field_e2 of 2 cars and then compared to speed of first car"; GP4Builder description: "Related to slipstream ?" ). This is a distance in feet (16 feet = 1 track sector). It specifies the distance in which the AI starts to avoid the player car. Default value for tracks like Spa and Monza, where there is a very hard braking on the first corner, is 512 feet (32 track sectors or 156 metres).

The second value is in line 73 (default CMagic description: "a segment nr before which flag 0x80 in car.flags_ce is not cleared"; GP4Builder description: "In-line Cars Start Range ?" ). This is a distance in track sectors. It specifies for how long the AI will run in "race start mode". Usually this goes until cars are accelerating out of the first corner. Once this distance is reached, the AI will ignore the line 49 value and use a "avoiding distance" of 64 feet for the remainder of the race.

So, lowering these values will result in the AI defending harder during a race start. Setting line 73 to zero will effectively disable "race start mode".

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 10:29PM by Prblanco.
Date: November 01, 2023 11:06PM
Hi Prblanco

Thanks a lot man!!!!
I set the 73 to 0. Interlagos 1980 have a fast first corner so no crash even with this configuration.
I tested it on the race start and I was not able to pass much cars ahead, so I think it was a great solution!!!!

Best

Jose
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy