F1 Manager game using GP4

Posted by Syvis 
F1 Manager game using GP4
Date: April 29, 2020 08:20PM
Posted by: Syvis
Hi all! I was wondering if there was interest in a game like this. I've run a couple of these back in the day, recently started a game like this with a couple of friends and got the spark back for it. I have some basic ideas for the game which are as follows:

- the game would be based in real life like this old game from this forum
- we would need 11 managers to get things going
- you would get lap by lap reports from the races
- teams would get assigned randomly to the participants but you have a chance to trade teams with someone for a short period if they agree
- I'm thinking I would be running one race per week (quali on Tuesday, race on Wednesday)
- we would start from the year 2004 with real teams and real drivers with big teams like Ferrari and McLaren having bigger budgets to start than a team like Minardi (Arrows would join in as 11th team for the season)
- whatever money you would have left at the end of the season would be added to your next season's budget
- we can start with 2004 team setups (drivers, engines etc) or we can start from scratch and you get to bid on drivers and choose your components so if you're interested in joining, I'd like to hear your opinion on this
- teams would get prize money from every race if they finish in top 10 and at the end of the season teams get prize money according to their place in the standings
- before the season we would have some tests which you can take part in where you can develop pace or reliability and there would be tests during the season every four races or so
- the amount you can gain would be decided randomly (for example 1-5hp and 100-500 reliability)

Those are just some basic ideas. I will write up a more comprehensive rule set if there is interest.
Re: F1 Manager game using GP4
Date: April 29, 2020 09:25PM
Posted by: natasp
I'm interested in participating, and I believe that bidding for the drivers would be the best option, also isn't better if all the teams start with the same performance?

Date: April 29, 2020 11:21PM
Posted by: Macca25
I am interested in this.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: April 29, 2020 11:41PM
Posted by: Parachki
Interested in a manager league. I hope it attracts some interest from people around here.

Date: April 30, 2020 04:57AM
Nice! We're picking up some steam already.

natasp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm interested in participating, and I believe
> that bidding for the drivers would be the best
> option, also isn't better if all the teams start
> with the same performance?

The performance of the car is decided by the parts people choose like the engine, tyres, fuel and electronics.
Date: April 30, 2020 11:18AM
Posted by: Jan88666
I´m doing this for over 8 years...
Date: April 30, 2020 11:51AM
Jan88666 Wrote:
> I´m doing this for over 8 years...

Ok..?
Date: April 30, 2020 06:50PM
Syvis Wrote:
> Nice! We're picking up some steam already.
>
> natasp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm interested in participating, and I believe
> > that bidding for the drivers would be the best
> > option, also isn't better if all the teams
> start
> > with the same performance?
>
> The performance of the car is decided by the parts
> people choose like the engine, tyres, fuel and
> electronics.

Yeah you're right, I mean the budget should be the same to anyone at the start, that way it would be more fair

Date: April 30, 2020 07:46PM
natasp Wrote:
> Syvis Wrote:
> -----
> > Nice! We're picking up some steam already.
> >
> > natasp Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm interested in participating, and I
> believe
> > > that bidding for the drivers would be the
> best
> > > option, also isn't better if all the teams
> > start
> > > with the same performance?
> >
> > The performance of the car is decided by the
> parts
> > people choose like the engine, tyres, fuel and
> > electronics.
>
> Yeah you're right, I mean the budget should be the
> same to anyone at the start, that way it would be
> more fair

I was thinking that maybe some want more challenge with a smaller team and budget and it would be more realistic. I'm okay with everyone getting the same budget too. It's up to you, the players.
Date: April 30, 2020 08:27PM
Posted by: giomich
I also have interest
Date: May 04, 2020 01:09PM
As I had some spare time, I wrote up rules for the game to maybe get more people interested or to run off even they few that are interested. ;-) Feedback and suggestions will be appreciated.

1. Teams
Teams entering the 2004 F1 Championship are Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault, BAR, Sauber, Jaguar, Toyota, Jordan, Minardi and Arrows. Teams will be given out to managers at random at the start of the game with managers getting a chance to trade teams with other managers as long as both agree to the swap. Teams can be taken over and get bigger budgets or other advantages (for example Red Bull taking over Jaguar and bringing more money to the team or BMW taking over Sauber with Sauber getting BMW manufacturer engines).

1.1 Team budgets
Teams will start with differing budgets. Big teams like Ferrari and McLaren will have bigger budgets than teams like Minardi or Arrows. Budgets will carry over to next season.

1.2 2004 season
There will be open bidding for drivers and parts for 2004 season. Teams will have to submit their bids via PM. There will be as many bidding rounds as needed for every team to fill all the slots they have.

2. Parts
Teams will have to decide which parts they want season by season. Teams can’t go into debt selecting the parts.

2.1 Engines
For 2004 the engine suppliers will be Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Honda, BMW, Toyota and Cosworth. The engines will have differing bhp and reliability. Manufacturer teams like Ferrari, Renault and Toyota are tied up to their engines. Bhp and reliability will fluctuate between seasons so the best engine supplier for 2004 might not be the best for 2005. Manufacturer teams will get a small boost from their engine suppliers compared to customer teams.

2.2 Tyres
Tyre suppliers for 2004 season will be Bridgestone, Michelin, Firestone, Goodyear, Continental and Dunlop. Some suppliers give better performance to the car but cost more.

2.3 Fuel
Fuel suppliers for 2004 season are Shell, Mobil 1, Total, Petronas and BR Petrobras. As with the tyres, some suppliers give better performance but cost more.

2.4 Brakes
Brake suppliers for 2004 season are Brembo, Magneti Marelli, AP Racing, Bosch and Alcon. As with the tyres and fuel, some suppliers give better performance but cost more.

3. Drivers
Teams need two race drivers and one test driver. These drivers can be swapped around as much as you want. All driver contracts are one year and the drivers will become available for negotiation at different times during the season. Usually the driver will accept the highest bid but a small “home team discount” will be given to their current team if they’re happy with their current team. Drivers can become unhappy if they’re demoted to a test driver for example. Drivers can be released from their contracts with no penalty because the salaries are paid in full at the start of the season. Replacement drivers will be paid pro rated (for example a driver’s salary is 5M and there’s 50% of the season remaining, he will be paid 2.5M)

3.1 Pay drivers
Some drivers have sponsors who will pay to you for hiring these drivers. For example, if you hire a pay driver whose sponsors pay 4M and the salary you give out to them is 3M, you’ll get 1M. If you offer the same driver 6M salary, you’ll have to pay 2M.

3.2 Driver retirement and development
Younger drivers develop at a faster rate than older drivers. Every driver has a set potential so they might reach their potential at age 22 while some continue to develop into their 30’s. On the other hand, drivers will start to lose ability when they near retirement. The drivers will start considering retirement at 34 years old and the chances that they retire will increase every year after that.

4. Testing
Teams have a chance to test three times in the pre-season and every four races during the season. Teams can test for more power or reliability. Team principles will have to inform which one they want to test before every test if they’re taking part in it. Testing will cost 1M. Teams can choose two out of their three drivers to perform in any test.

5. Race weekends
The race weekend will consist of free practice, qualifying and the race itself.

5.1 Free practice
Teams will send out their #1 driver and test driver for free practices. Teams whose #1 driver and test driver are closest in their clocked time will get a small boost for rest of the weekend.

5.2 Qualifying
Drivers have one hour and 12 laps to put in the best time they can.

5.3 Race
Races will be 100% distance. There will be a report with some screenshots of every race.

6. Championship points
For 2004 season the points will be handed out as follows:
1st 10 points
2nd 8 points
3rd 6 points
4th 5 points
5th 4 points
6th 3 points
7th 2 points
8th 1 point

7. Prize money
Teams will get prize money from race weekends and at the end of the season.

7.1 Race weekend
The prize money for weekends will be handed out as follows:
1st 2M
2nd-3rd 1.5M
4th-5th 1M
6th-7th 0.75M
8th-9th 0.5M
10th 0.25M
Pole position 0.25M
Fastest lap 0.25M

7.2 End of the season
1st 80M
2nd 75M
3rd 70M
4th 67M
5th 65M
6th 63M
7th 60M
8th 57M
9th 55M
10th 52M
11th 50M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 01:10PM by Syvis.
Date: May 04, 2020 02:07PM
Posted by: Macca25
Nice job mate

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: May 05, 2020 02:16PM
Nice, can't think of anything else, you did a fine job there. Hopefully this can go on

Date: September 21, 2020 05:57PM
I'm bumping this thread once to see if there's more interest this time around.
Date: September 26, 2020 02:07AM
Posted by: Soutsen
I'm interested to join if there's enough people to play with

Date: September 26, 2020 01:04PM
Are natasp, Macca, Parachki and giomich still in? I have a friend who'll probably join too if I ask so that would make six. We could start with six managers if some would manage two teams. Then when we got this going, maybe it would get some more people to join.
Date: September 30, 2020 03:00PM
Posted by: JohnWarrington4
[www.grandprixgames.org]

There were a few successful seasons back in the day before interest sadly fell away
Date: September 30, 2020 03:40PM
JohnWarrington4 Wrote:
> [www.grandprixgames.org],
> page=1
>
> There were a few successful seasons back in the
> day before interest sadly fell away

Yeah, I saw that. That's what mostly inspired me to give it a go here but it seems like there isn't interest.
Date: September 30, 2020 07:17PM
Posted by: JohnWarrington4
Syvis Wrote:
> JohnWarrington4 Wrote:
> -----
> >
> [www.grandprixgames.org],
>
> > page=1
> >
> > There were a few successful seasons back in the
> > day before interest sadly fell away
>
>
> Yeah, I saw that. That's what mostly inspired me
> to give it a go here but it seems like there isn't
> interest.

Interest could pick up with an active series but it's a gamble tbh. It's a shame because it's a really good concept
Date: September 30, 2020 07:27PM
I'd be down to start the thing with six managers but we really would need to get the people back that showed interest earlier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy