How did you discover Grand Prix 4?

Posted by BillDaBest 
Re: How did you discover Grand Prix 4?
Date: May 15, 2020 10:55PM
Posted by: scranley
Became addicted to the original Formula One Grand Prix on my Amiga 500 back in the early 90s. Just reventlt installed the 1991 mod on GP4 and reliving my youth during this lockdown and loving it.
Date: May 16, 2020 03:13AM
Posted by: DutchCan
I played sort of a racegame on Sega which had F1 cars, Super Monaco 2. That's how I got to know there is F1 games on the consoles, I didn't have a PC yet in 1992. When I finally got a PC I found GP2 when it came out in 1996, I actually still have the original CD with the box. I did buy GP 4 immediately when it came out, I didn't discover GP4, the series found me and got me addicted.
Date: May 16, 2020 05:19AM
Posted by: mortal
Way back in the mists of time, I bought a GP4 CD, I still have it. I don't recall how I came across it.
The only dedicated GP4 site back then was AlphaF1 for publishing mods and discussion. The mod team was what I would call heavy handed, people were being banned left right and centre for minor infractions, it was ridiculous. A new site was needed, one that allowed free speech and a people centric approach and a respect for all. It wasn't long after this site was created that quite a few of the users migrated here, and some of us are still here. We might not play the game anymore, but it has brought us together, and made friends from around the globe. I think it was 2004 when the site got a php upgrade and all the registrations were reset. Also public in topic post counts were removed site wide. Last user ban was back in 2010, things are different here. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 16, 2020 08:59AM
Posted by: Zaky04
I've had GP4 since March 2019, the weekend of the Australian Grand Prix. I found it fun, but when I found mods, and got ZaZ Tools working, I've had so much fun, and now I'm in the GPGSL!
Date: May 19, 2020 01:49AM
Posted by: Rafa_brucevandamme
I already knew the game since 2002, but I never played it last year looking at the F1 challenge facebook forum, I saw a GP4 post and a link to this site, I clicked and started to download the mods, when I started I was in love, I feel bad to say but I abandoned the F1 Challenge and only played GP4 ... from 1994 to 2010
Date: May 19, 2020 02:19AM
Posted by: Dutch_Can
With all the talk about how you discovered GP4, now I'd like to know from whoever had GP2 and even GP3. How did you get all the mods for these 2 games?
I remember that I actually ran into the mods at an electronic store back in 1997 for GP2 and as well for GP3. Yes back then I used the old good CD-ROM to install my games and mods, nothing was downloaded. I even had a wheel to play GP2 with way back then. A lot has changed since those days and everything is so much easier to get.

PS: DutchCan is my second account when I lost this one due to not remembering a few passwords. Yes I lost it from this website and Hotmail and never bothered to look them up.
Date: May 20, 2020 05:37AM
Posted by: TomMK
Came home one day in 1993(?) to find my dad driving this incredible-looking game on our Amiga A600. I asked to have a go, but insisted on only driving free practice mode because I was scared of the other cars. That was F1GP and I've played every installment obsessively since then. I even play against the other cars now.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: November 20, 2020 08:40PM
Posted by: b_akerlite
It was the first game I purchased for my first PC - happy times -
the pc cost a fortune then and it tuned out to be junk (i was new to them) - thankful though as my resentment fueled the desire to fix and tinker where I could to be able to muck about with gp4 - always has been a great game every time I come back it never disappoints!
Date: November 20, 2020 09:18PM
Posted by: Zacio Geribello
I play with slot cars and games in play houses (fliperamas) in Brazil since I was a little kid. My dad was in car business VW and it was my passion. I drive since 9yo, collected car reviews (4rodas, Autoesporte), followed the sport, dreamed all these years about becoming a professional driver. I'd like to be the 1st Brazilian to win the overall 24 h Le Mans :) Well, I'm only 62yo :). I started with Indycar Racing, it was so great, adjusting the car, racing, watching it, having a championship..., then I tested GP2 in CD-Rom magazine but my computer didn't have hardware for it. A few years later I bought a better one and started playing GP3 2000, that I liked very much. I didn't see the release of GP4 but saw it sometime later in the Internet, perhaps in Youtube. Wow that was a lot of improvement, an then came the mods. Paradise... :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 09:22PM by Zacio Geribello.
Date: November 21, 2020 12:25AM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
During the high School a classfriend of mine passed me a copy of GP2... wow i felt in love of it since the first second i played the game. As a F1 fan I simply loved it: the IA, the atmosphere, the sounds. Surfing on the CD i found a folder full of gp2 editors and I started to mod the game: cars, drivers, pictures and so on. At each season start me and a friend of my spent some time to create our season's carsets and enjoyed every single moment with GP2. I had to wait my 1st years at University to had the possibility to surf the web where I discoved GP3 was out! I buyed a copy some days later and had the time to enjoy it only for some months (modding it of course) just in time for GP4 release! I simply missed GP3-2000. So my adventure with GP4 started since day-1, I lived every single progress of game editing: I remeber as yesterday the 1st mapping update for original Ferrari carshape which allow player to have finally a nice Marlboro logo on the back wing of the car =) . I played the game so much but at the same time I started to mod it: I started from the italian gpedia file which was noted from a new dedicated italian gp4 site: gp4italia. Some months later I was recruited from the staff and I started to compile the 1st 2003 megapatch (i think that it was the 1st mod with the carset builded in season order and with video dinamic backgrounds). The mod was so heavy for my internet provider (at that time I had only an EDGE sim modem) that I had to sent a CD-ROM copy of the mod to another moderator who had an ISDN internet connection in order to upload to gp4italia server :)
After that I worked on several megapatchs, on several mods, I started to create loading images, seasons's HUDS and one day I found the jimbob1 guide to convert TRD2 tracks to GP4 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/omaznood7nue3m4/Convert_toca_rd2.%252B3__tracks_to_gp4.rar/file) . I spent some times to understand how it was possible and once learned I went to a game shop to buy TRD3 because it had a lot of track usefull to GP4. I spent some days trying to understand if it should be possible to hack the game and finally I discovered a workflow which allowed me to convert TRD3 tracks to GP4. They were the days of Bahrain and Shangai f1 tracks, Adria, and my first built from scratch circuit: Cagliari Euro 3000 series and so on... Some time later I had to leave GP4 scenes due to work missions. I travelled and stayed so far from house (also inn Bahrain yes... I what an emotional day was the one where I visited Sakhir circuit), I come back, I got married, I become a lucky father of 2 and now I just comed back to my GP4.. .what a game, what a nice time spent with it and its community, and what a great times it'll be for sure :)

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: November 21, 2020 01:53AM
Posted by: b_akerlite
yes! another slot car racer here- finially built my mini suzuka homage!

Zacio Geribello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I play with slot cars and games in play houses
> (fliperamas) in Brazil since I was a little kid.
> My dad was in car business VW and it was my
> passion. I drive since 9yo, collected car reviews
> (4rodas, Autoesporte), followed the sport, dreamed
> all these years about becoming a professional
> driver. I'd like to be the 1st Brazilian to win
> the overall 24 h Le Mans :) Well, I'm only 62yo
> :). I started with Indycar Racing, it was so
> great, adjusting the car, racing, watching it,
> having a championship..., then I tested GP2 in
> CD-Rom magazine but my computer didn't have
> hardware for it. A few years later I bought a
> better one and started playing GP3 2000, that I
> liked very much. I didn't see the release of GP4
> but saw it sometime later in the Internet, perhaps
> in Youtube. Wow that was a lot of improvement, an
> then came the mods. Paradise... :)
Date: November 21, 2020 08:33AM
Posted by: Carl_gpgames
i started with GP2 as a kid in 1996. my father bought it together with a steering wheel after my fascination for formula 1 started, probably due to Final Lap R, an aracade game i spent lots of my pocket money on it in holidays. i also remeber watching jerez 97' live on tv, hopeing for a schumacher victory. we all know what happend next...
later i bought GP3, GP3-2000 and then GP4, all on the release day. the first part of the series, F1 GP, i bought later, for collecting reasons. they all are still in my bookshelf;
there were also the inofficial addons like "Perfect Grand Prix" for GP2 and GP3, which where never as good as the stuff provided by the community in the internet.

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Date: November 21, 2020 07:29PM
Posted by: viking75
I played GP2 a long time ago, then when GP3 released i bought it immediately and the same when GP4 released about in 2002.
Date: November 22, 2020 09:55PM
Posted by: big jon famagoosta
Been playing since the original Grand Prix on the Amiga. I remember getting an application on an Amiga magazine to change the car colours and we updated the yellow Bennetons to the Green and the old Cannon Williams to Rothmans (they looked good in your imagination).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy