How did you discover Grand Prix 4?

Posted by BillDaBest 
Re: How did you discover Grand Prix 4?
Date: February 23, 2020 01:57PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
After being overwhelmed by the Psygnosis f1 game for Playstation which came out in -97. Now you could really have fun with car games. After only worked with Apple computer before, I bought my first PC around 2000 and soon after I discovered GP3 and competed with a friend. We discovered that you could make your own textures which made it even more fun. When GP4 was launched it was obvious to have it. Pretty soon someone learned that you could do so much more in GP4 than in GP3. Creating new cars was much easier than before. At that time I also used 3d program at my job which made me want to try to do something for this game as well. But It really started with fixing a couple of Good Year textures. Then someone showed off a Jordan F1 -91. A guy who called himself "tis" had made it and new wheels in 3d. After that, a lot happened and quickly and soon we became "a team" or friends who did a lot of tings together. Some of us were "tis", "B-tone", "Erix", "oggo" et al, and for me it happened to be mostly wheels and tires as a specialty but also the F-Renault 2.0 - 07 mod together with "b-tone" (Tony) Today.. no game installed since years back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 01:20PM by Alesi_fan.
Date: February 25, 2020 07:27PM
Posted by: fandericciardo3
I played GP4 on my old computer back in around 2007/2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 07:27PM by fandericciardo3.
Date: February 27, 2020 06:47AM
Posted by: TheFireKing
last year, on the day it was 25 years since Senna died,
youtube recommended me a livestream of a guy playing GP2 in imola with 100% of the laps and driving with senna.
I loved the game and went looking to play, and consequently I also met GP3 ​​and GP4 (and also "GP1" hehe).

Date: February 29, 2020 07:32PM
Posted by: JRAJ19
I grew up with the Grand Prix games, Grand Prix 2 was bought for my 9th birthday pressie in 1997, I bought Grand Prix 3 in 2000 when it came out, never got hold of Grand Prix 3 2000 add on till recently. To conclude in 2002 I got Grand Prix 4 but it was too slow for my 2000 Time Computer so I went back to GP2/GP3. I forgot all about GP4 till 2007, just a brilliant game and it holds up to this day thanks to modders. For some reason I play Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, Iracing, Project Cars 1/2, Rfactor 1/2 but I keep coming back to Grand Prix 4.
Date: March 04, 2020 03:39AM
Posted by: Fernandopbr
In 1996 my mother brought my first computer here in brazil, late on that year came the grand prix 2 and this is the begining of my history with this great game and for me the best of all times
Date: March 04, 2020 07:02PM
Posted by: Parachki
I have to thank the GP4 crash compilations on YT, plus Google, as I was looking for a low end PC game that is about F1 solely.
Date: March 04, 2020 07:13PM
Posted by: seanmikeuk
I initially started with Grand Prix 3 and the Grand Prix 3 2000 versions and became hooked. When Grand Prix 4 was released, I immediately purchased it from my local Game store and have been playing it since the early 2000's, nearly 20 years.

LAMH DEARG EIRIN

GPGSL Alpha Motorsports, S13 Race Driver #8 S14 Race Driver #2, S15 Race Driver #2
Date: March 07, 2020 08:36PM
Posted by: edestler
I discovered the game watching gameplays on YT. Late 90s - early 2000s is my favourite F1 era and GP4 is keeping those years alive for me.
Date: March 08, 2020 03:18PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
3D Grand Prix > Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II > Formula 1 > Formula 1 97 > Grand Prix 4

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: March 08, 2020 03:40PM
Posted by: laazio
I started with Grand Prix 2 back in '97, then when Grand Prix 4 came out in 2002, I immediately bought it and have been playing it since then.
Date: March 08, 2020 06:02PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Back in 1996 I did spot a GP2 review from a local pc magazine , were it scored 96/100 points. As a huge F1fan, I had to immediately find and buy it. Loved every minute playing it and so I started looking for news and updates for the game and found some.
Then came the announcement that GP3 is coming. It was year 2000 and I was at highschool.
I counted days when it would get released and one day I walked pass my local pc-gamestore and there I saw it on the window, I immediately called my dad (with my super cool cellphone Nokia 3310) to go and buy it.

That game felt like a dream come true, I loved playing it and learned some modding etc.

GP32000 I missed totally, found out about it through gpgames, but it wasn't that big thing as GP4 was announced, I followed gp4 wip-progress closely abd got my copy of gp4 a month earlier than most of the people (17th may 2002).

GP4 wasn't perfect, but it was as close as it could get. Real individual 3d carshapes for every car/team, real gps-based tracks etc.

I started posting here on this forum and looking for updates to gp4. There were so many good sites back in the day (gpgames, gp4italia, drivingitalia,m4driving, racesimulations, simracingworld,gpx.it,gp4gamers.nl etc. Some I have unfortunately forgotten :((( )and updates arrived every minute.
Long time it seemed impossible to edit gp4 carshapes and people were getting desperate already, but finally it became true thanks to tools like gp4genius, gp4editor,zmodeler and new carshapes started slowly arrive, some modders did however get fedup with damagemodel (like Emac/Ralph Hummerich) and did not do cars anymore for gp4.
2002 Few carshapes/textures were made by guys gp4heroes like Nicola Acciarri, Bojan Tarticchio, Wai Keen Lam, Erwin Maliepaard, Duco Lammers, Guyon Waltmans, Matt Schroeder, Erik Van Leuween.
A bit Later Viper (later known as Enzozj)/CTDP started converting ctdp-cars familiar from f12002 to gp4, Ferrari f2002 was first highly detailed car to be done for gp4, I remember the filesize of package being 11MB and that day it was huge as there was no fast internet (dsl,adsl etc.) So you went to internet through your phoneline and it took several hours to download just that one 11mb file!!! Finally got the car and it was superb, gp4 was finally getting perfect and 2003 things only got better new highquality models and textures were arriving from several different authors, every day new files arrived, it was the golden years of gp4.

So gp4 was close to a perfect, only thing missing was track editing being possible, Paul Hoad tried it but he stopped and we seemed to be doomed, but finally it became possible thankd to Lo2k and people who helped him. Slowly new tracks started arriving, first edits were small like small edit to Montreal track by Ricardo Lampert, but soon scracth made and hugely modified tracks started coming from various authors (like example Bahrain, Nurburgring, Magny Cours, Monaco,Hockenheim,Shanghai etc.) And gp4 was finally perfect.

Still today, it's perfect. The best game there is, graphically still looks as good as codemaster games. As years go by modders have gone and new modders have arrived, quality of the work hasn't dropped, in fact as tools have developped, the quality of the cars/textures have arisen to huge standards. Today we don't have many modders left, but still today updates come and hopefully for years to come as I intend to play/edit this game as long as I can.

GP4 for me, is more than just a game it's part of my every day life (this site comes among it).
Date: March 08, 2020 06:10PM
Posted by: huskyman49
Great story - the last line comes close to my own feelings... (Y)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:07AM
Posted by: mralpha
I first met GP3 ​​just released, thanks to a friend. We liked it so much that we met every week for a race. When GP4 came out, I was enthusiastic about it, and he found and downloaded the first patch: the Megapatch order 2003. It was a revolution. From that day we updated GP4 every year, thanks to the community. We put two PCs in LAN with cross cable and we had a lot of fun competing against each other in my garage every Monday, even though our wives treated us as children. All this until the end of 2018, when he fell ill. Unfortunately he died on June 2, 2019. I have not played anymore. I have not written in this forum to this day, although, rarely, I look to see if there is any news. The passion, even if hidden and sad, is always there. He was more than a brother to me.
Date: March 18, 2020 02:09PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
It should have been the beginning of the 90s, when a floppy disk with the Microprose Grand Prix came into my hands, I quickly fell in love with it.
Then with GP2, I discovered a website (alphaF1 or something similar) where skins could be downloaded and then tracks! I was excited.
Later my first daughter was born, and I couldn't spend time on the recently purchased GP3.
I used it very little and I still feel the thrill of running in the rain! (Believe me, I perfectly remember the noise of the rain and my amazement at seeing the asphalt getting wet and drying.
One day looking for GP3 updates on the web, I found out that GP4 had been released !!!. My heart beat fast and I ran to get my CD. GP4 cars had different shapes between them !!!!!!! Awesome!.
I got to know the GP4-Argentina website and was able to make many friends. Some of those virtual friends later became flesh and blood friends. I ended up being the administrator of one of the largest GP4 websites in the world. With a lot of people, making tracks, skins, updates, incredible.
Since that time, I have dedicated to GP4 a number of hours that at times embarrasses me ...
I still enjoy the game, I still feel the same euphoric feeling when a new model rolls on the track without "crash to desk".
I know that every day we are less (it is logical) and I imagine converting cars and tracks from new simulators for the GP4 in the future ...
I love GP4 (in case someone here has not noticed).
Greetings and stay at home!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: March 19, 2020 10:47AM
Posted by: huskyman49
Converting cars keeps me staying at home for a long while since nowadays so I don't really feel any affects of the covid up until today ;)
Besides that I'm living so remote that the risk to get infected is only little...
Great story, Ariel, reminds me a lot to my own one...
My best wishes to Buenos Aires and stay healthy!
Karl
Date: March 19, 2020 02:10PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
In Buenos Aires we are 15 million people ... the city is paralyzed. Essential services only.
Today we have 97 cases (3 dead) and the government is expected to dictate an even stricter quarantine.
Let's stay home. Let's make mods and tracks. And let's hope this nightmare ends soon.
Big hug and take care!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: March 19, 2020 06:23PM
Posted by: RyuLotusFP
I was searching on GameSpot when I found several F1 games on PC. That what I found Grand Prix 4, due the missing F1 recent seasons games (when Sony's exclusive license was over in 2007, later Codemasters took on 2009 since then) on my PlayStation 2 (I was playing Sony's F1 06). I've downloaded not only GP4, but I downloaded a F1 Challenge (EA Sports) standalone 2008 mod. I liked the two games, but the GP4 I liked very much.

Due the presence of season mods on Internet, I searched very much to add mods on GP4 when found GP4 Database, which I downloaded Tony's 1994 Mod, my first season CSM mod when downloaded. Later, I downloaded Erik's 1991 Mod, which I noted the trackpack mods problems (of initial version) and missing "at time recreation" tracks (such Phoenix, Estoril and Adelaide). Thanks for that what I finally found this community, I've followed Plodekk and Cleberpister's trackpack work thread until their release.

Also, GP4 modding became my biggest interest, mainly to create fantasy track based on real location, when I started to follow Gildoorf and Prblanco's F1 Virtual. I've started to create my fantasy track based on my hometown Maués, which I released my in-game track beta for public test purposes.

Unfortunely, I was busy due my school issues (now I'm on college) and PC hardware problems for developing my track, but, one day, I will resume it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My drawing art page
Eddie e Seus Peugeots Wiki
My personal blog
Produced in Maués, Brazil - Visit the Amazon and the Land of Guaraná

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 06:33PM by RyuLotusFP.
Date: March 21, 2020 07:43AM
Posted by: EricOates95
I Was Watching Some GP4 Videos On YouTube And The Ones Were The Manager Ones Back In 2008

And Since Then, I Came Up With My Own Manager Modes And I Wanted To Feature A 36 Car Grid Featuring The Best Teams Including Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, BAR, Renault, Sauber, Red Bull, Prost, Arrows, Jordan, Toyota, Jaguar And Minardi As Well As Lola, Larousse, Ligier, Stewart, Forti, Simtek, Benetton, Lotus, Tyrrell And Pacific, I Also Wanted To Feature Fictional Formula One Teams Like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Torrent Motorsport, Nuvolari Racing, Supreme Legends, Super Red Rage And Saab, I Also Wanted To Feature 2006 Teams Like Super Aguri, Toro Rosso And Midland To The Mode As Well

There Are 42 Drivers And 26 Teams In This Mode

There Is Pre Qualifying First, Before The Real Qualifying Begins

And Lower Teams Only Were For Test And Practice Sessions If They Don't Qualify For A Grand Prix

Also I Wanted To Feature The Irish Grand Prix At Mondello Park

This Would Turn Into A Championship Featuring The Best Teams And Drivers On The Grid
Date: March 22, 2020 04:56PM
Posted by: WeeScot
I purchased the original Grand Prix game (marketed as World Circuit here in the USA) as soon as I had a PC capable of playing it, and spent a few years loving it and modding it thanks to files and instructions available through the Compuserve forum devoted to it. I mostly played it using a 2-button joystick (left-right steering, forward for acceleration, and back to brake; buttons for upshifts and downshifts), but never progressed to the skill levels beyond the use of steering assist and traction control. Finding it too hard to keep the car ontrack without driver aids, but too easy to win races from the back of the grid at the lower levels, I found that I could handicap myself by shifting brake bias all the way to the front (I think, or was it all to the rear) and have decent races and seasons against the CC. Bought GP2 as soon as it came out, and the improved graphics and still-friendly gameplay were a joy to me for several years, especially once I got a proper wheel/pedals setup. Wasted some time on GPL when it first came out, but kept coming back to GP2. Didn't get GP3, but as soon as GP4 was released, I got it and a whole other level of immersion. GP4 was the only racing game I played until about 2006, when I discovered GTR/GTR2 and GTL. The addition of world movement and G-force movement in those games was captivating, and I drifted away from GP4 for several years until I discovered this site and decided to see how updating GP4 would stimulate my imagination. I'm still spending more time playing the Simbin titles and their mods, and even playing the updated version of GPL (1965 mod), but increasingly, this "new" GP4 is bringing me great pleasure again. Many thanks to the community!
Date: March 23, 2020 06:32PM
Posted by: mrsancini
I discovered via a fantasy tournament held back in 2007 in a brazilian forum, but the tournament used the old GP2 (and I didn't compete in said tournament), next year the tournament shifted through GP4 and later I downloaded the game (It was hard because back in the day I used dial-up modem) to play the game myself (Until then I only saw screenshots).

(Also, I competed on 3 fantasy tournaments, with 2 constructors championships... or was it one? I don't remember)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy