How did you discover Grand Prix 4?

Posted by BillDaBest 
How did you discover Grand Prix 4?
Date: February 13, 2020 04:33PM
Posted by: BillDaBest
I remember looking on youtube in 2008 when i saw a video called GP4 Crashes 4 by PhilBlythe25(Most viewed GP4 video i know) and i saw the physics of the cars and the crash system and i loved it! I searched GP4 and saw a lot of crashes videos and gameplay (was like 10 at the time but i always remember playing F1 on the PS2) and i wanted the game like mad so i begged my parents to buy it. I remember adding my first mod (14 y/o) and i was so proud:-). How did you guys discover GP4

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you pave it, i will race it.
Re: How did you discover Grand Prix 4?
Date: February 13, 2020 05:18PM
Posted by: landex
Nice BilldaBest!

I didnt discover, I made it to the serie. Since 1992 Microprose F1GP on the Amiga 500. And I loved! One of the best games of 1992.
Till now there are no F1 game who can keep up the physics of Geoff Crammond´s F1GP series.
Date: February 13, 2020 05:34PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
I borrowed Grand Prix 3 from a friend when I was like 11 back in 2000. Loved it, and played it alongside EAs games.
I bought the 2000 season expansionpack myself, and whished for Grand Prix 4 for my birthday in 2002, and I got it!
Played it vanilla for many years until I discovered the modding community in 2004, the rest is history :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: February 13, 2020 06:09PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
GP4 discovered me! ^^

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: February 13, 2020 06:46PM
Can't agree more. Its physics are revolutionary! And to think that it the games were made in the 90s-2000's. Geoff and Microprose were really ahead of their time,with pieces of the car coming off,ability to go airborne and do barrel rolls,mechianical failures and the cars splitting in half if you crashed very hard!
Date: February 13, 2020 08:11PM
Posted by: Excalibur
landex écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice BilldaBest!
>
> I didnt discover, I made it to the serie. Since
> 1992 Microprose F1GP on the Amiga 500. And I
> loved! One of the best games of 1992.
> Till now there are no F1 game who can keep up the
> physics of Geoff Crammond´s F1GP series.

Same situation. Same feelings. ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: February 14, 2020 04:09AM
Posted by: jkraid92
I discovered through the screenshots posted on a defunct site called f1gamers.com. I knew it had to be from an f1 game but mistakenly thought it was rfactor instead GP4. After further research and finding out about GP4, that's when I began to be interested in the game.
Date: February 14, 2020 04:14AM
Posted by: Mullet345
It was given to me as a gift back in 2003/2004, though prior to that I was playing GP3.

Date: February 14, 2020 04:32AM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Been into F1 since I caught the Mansell and Senna fight at Monaco in 1992, a family pub lunch that changed my life.
All types of motorsport followed with the WRC, BTCC, MotoGP etc...
I never had a PC when I was young, so my go to place was the PlayStation with the likes of the Formula 1 series and Gran Turismo back in 1998, I was always hoping for custom features in these games to come into play, but never really happen, just had to keep buying a new game every time.
Then I finally got myself my own PC in 2002, and started seeing the shear power you could have with a PC and the internet.
One day while I was searching for some info on F1 and saw an image of Bojan Tarticchio's Jaguar R4 which was from here and custom made for a game called Grand Prix 4.
It become the game of my dreams, a racing with custom features, or so I thought...
Went looking for it the next day and found it for £5 in the pre-owned bin, took it home and then realised you needed some skills to change things in this game, and so got to work and learnt the skills to mod and change other games too.
It opened that door to the modding world, after 15 years, I'm still making content for this beautiful game that changed my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 04:38AM by Flash Formula.
Date: February 14, 2020 10:39AM
Posted by: huskyman49
I don't remember how I came to GP4 but, honestly, what kind of life would it be without it? :-o;-)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:40AM
Thats amazing!
Date: February 14, 2020 11:05AM
Posted by: Calligaris
I was running custom F1 championships on a game called Grand Prix Cision, when I heard this game's AI was considered one of the best. I thought "hey that would work well for a Fantasy F1 Championship". I found this forum and started modding the game. And that's how I discovered GP4.

I must say, I never actually played it though, just watched my fantasy teams battle it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 11:06AM by Calligaris.
Date: February 15, 2020 11:07AM
Posted by: AzSchumy
Same here! I was a console gamer back then. Playing a lot of F1 games on PS2. I discovered "computer/IT" and sometimes watch random F1 videos on YouTube. That GP4 crash compilation attracted me a lot to that game, back in 2008. But then, suddenly my dad bought the game and I was like I can't believe I'm playing Grand Prix 4! The same like I watch on You Tube. The orginal disc was lost after that.. hiatus to play Grand Prix 4 :( With the existence of GP4 which possible to get it on internet nowadays, I feel alive. Having chance get back to Grand Prix 4 in 2012 and still playing it until today.
Date: February 15, 2020 03:31PM
Posted by: neilcaine
Having played GP3 I then purchased GP4 and like others just played the basic game. Then I found out about this website and discovered GPXPatch and GP4 builder along with the other great programmes for updating textures and wad files as well as GP4tweaker. Now the game can be totally transformed and kept up to date thanks to the amazing cars shared on this site as well as other updates. I enjoy keeping the tracks up to date with the amazing GP4builder and I'm always finding out new things it can do.

I even remember assuming that the cars.wad file had to be kept at the same size to run the game! - so I was just updating textures as best I could. When I finally found out how to update the cars wad correctly with new car shapes and textures, it was like getting a new game!

I envy Hega, Excalibur, Gezere and Isaint along with others who have the skill to create the fantastic cars we are lucky enough to be able to use each year, - how many games from 2002 would anybody think they'd be using 18 years later???
Date: February 15, 2020 03:46PM
Posted by: thestig88
I'd been a major fan of the PS1 / PS2 Psygnosis / Studio 33 F1 series (Always nailed my colours to their mast rather than the EA Sports series), and played those games to death.
Eventually got given my first PC in 2006 before learning of official F1 games available for the PC. In late 2008 I "ummed and arrred" about which game to go for out of F1 Challenge, R Factor or GP4.

Decided on GP4 due to the great reviews and the amazing mods I had seen in YouTube videos, and 11 years later I'm still playing it (although not as frequently due to progressions in adult / family life). Have played the Codemasters series on PC, PS3 and PS4 but they don't hold a candle to GP4 for realism and controls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 04:45PM by thestig88.
Date: February 15, 2020 11:00PM
Posted by: n00binio
I started with GP2, then Ubisoft's F1RS and RS2, GP3, GP3-2000 and GP4. Since 2010 it is GP4 and Codie's games in parallel. I love GP4 for its community and the possibilities in modding. However, for e.g. the 2019 season, I prefer F1 2019. Due to the proper incorporation of current rules it does provide extremely interesting and realistic races when going the full distance imo.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: February 16, 2020 11:29AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I started with F1 97 for psx in 2002, I bought it from the GAME bargain bin for £2.97 for my brother´s birthday as a cheap present, yet I played it myself and must have put in tens of thousands of hours on it in these 18 years since. Not a bad investment!
Fast forward to my PC owning days, I had played GP3, but in 2006 on the way to a school leaving meet up, I stopped off and picked up a used copy of GP4, inspite of me only having an IBM thinkpad unable to run it. There I was, saying goodbye to my school days, with a copy of GP4 in hand.
I spent a while playing GP4 from 2008 onwards, not really too impressed to be honest with the vanilla physics, but when I got proficient with the modding aspect I set the physics up to be more to my liking. Then when the 1997 carset arrived I had all I needed! ;) I´m still playing, not as much as I was, splitting my time now between GP4 and Automobilista, a fabulous sim which will run pretty well on anything with a 2GB graphics card.

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: February 18, 2020 04:23PM
Posted by: IWE
Played Gp2 since late 90's, GP3 and GP4 since their day of release.

Haven't even installed any of those in years, but I stop by every now and then to see what all new stuff modders have created.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 22, 2020 09:30PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
A bit similar to neilcaine, but with a slight difference : there was a videogame shop in my street where I was living and I could see from my window the adverts for GP4 in their shop. But at that time I was just discovering GP3 so it was a bit early for me. That was when I was looking for some ways to enhance the game that I discovered this site and the modding community. A life changing for me. Thank you all of you who dedicated your time to it :)

Date: February 23, 2020 10:53AM
Posted by: lpx
I started with Monaco grand prix racing simulation, F1RC then Grand Prix 3 and after Grand Prix 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy