Converting issue

Posted by huskyman49 
Converting issue
Date: January 01, 2020 07:03PM
Posted by: huskyman49
Some of the AC cars are so detailed, that the *.gp4 file exceeds the limit of 65.535 vertices.
The problem is that when I use Polygon Cruncher to reduce them, the tex-files don't fit anymore, so I can only use uni-color liveries with hopefully some extra logo-files available to put on the car...
Is there a way to excced the limit (probably not) or did I overlook a function in Polygon Cruncher who crunches also the liveries so they still fit...?
I hope there is someone with experience in that topic around?
Recently I found a Mazda RX7 IMSA GTO which would be great to convert for GP4: [de.share-your-photo.com]

By the way: my insert URL function doesn't work anymore, so the pictures unfortunately stay invisible...?
Re: Converting issue
Date: January 01, 2020 08:47PM
Posted by: Excalibur
You can't exceed 65535 vertices/ faces for a .gp4 object.
To keep the UV seams and stitches when reducing poly counts on an object, check these parameters into Polygon Cruncher:
- Optimization/ Geometry: protect the edges and the corners
- Optimization/ Materials and UV's: Keep the textures box ticked and select Exclude UV's (tolerance 0)
- Advanced: Symetry XY: toerance 10 and check these other options

The other solution is to reduce a bit more unuseful objects from your car like details into the car and also carbon parts or hidden objects that you won't see in game or less than the main body.
From Zmodeler, select by materials the faces or objects that you can eventually reduce a bit more. Detach the faces from the objects, export into 3DS max. Open them into polygon cruncher reduce them. Export into obj format. Import into 3Dsimed. then, Edit/ autosmooth 45° / Purge faces- vertices- objects- materials.
Export into .mts format. Import the objects/ faces reduced into Zmodeler (mts-f1 2002 format). Save into zmodeler format and merge your z3d file with your car. ( don't forget to delete the original parts/ objects/ faces which will be replaced by the new ones). This way, you preserve the main objects and mapping from the main body and you will get secondary objects with less polygons and vertices to not reach the 65535 limits for the whole car.

I have to do this sometimes when I convert my hi-polys models from 3DS max to GP4. It is a compromise to find between reducing a little bit the main objects and the secondary objects a little bit more in order to keep the quality of the main objects but to not exceed the limits.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 08:53PM by Excalibur.
Date: January 02, 2020 01:20PM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Yeah that's what I've done with my models what Excalibur says (Y) but you can always just remap them into new materials, I found some of these models have so many material textures, sometimes it's nice to compact and rebuild them into less. :-)

Date: January 02, 2020 10:18PM
#Excalibur, #Flash Formula:

I want to thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and support (Y)
I immediately tried it out with the Mazda RX7 and as far as I can see it works well!

As this AC car is extremely detailed it will last a while until its finished and I'm looking forward to the result.

best wishes
Karl
Date: January 05, 2020 05:29PM

So these are the results of your 'know how'-transfer plus two days (and nights ;)) of hard work... ;-)

Car will be included in some mods to be released in the near future.
Date: January 06, 2020 09:57AM
Posted by: landex
Karl, amazing pictures! Echt Geil!(Y)

The textures are very good.

Sometimes its really hard to find good textures. We should create a kind of database with textures so, that everyone could access it. Noog and I have talk about it and it could help a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 10:40AM by landex.
Date: January 06, 2020 01:59PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
Amazing cars!!!! You've made it!!!!
i love those cars.

transparent windshield?

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: January 06, 2020 03:46PM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Amazing stuff Karl (Y) Looking great :-)

Date: January 06, 2020 07:02PM
Thanks, merci, grazie, gracias, danke :-)
Date: January 06, 2020 07:38PM
#meteoro405: Hi Ariel, I didn't make the windows transparent - because of the vertex limit I could only make very rudimental cockpit interior - wouldn't look so nice. When I noticed that I had to do a lot of polygon crunching I decided to invest into the outside of the car...
By the way, I found out that if you crunch only a little too much, the surface of the non-unicoloured textures develop ugly grey patches...

Muchos saludos al Buenos Aires ;-)
Karl
Date: January 07, 2020 01:24PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
They are the costs of placing cars of current simulators, in our dear and old GP4.
Anyway, I never thought that in 2020 we would continue to release new cars and tracks for GP4!
Thank you for continuing to update our simulator.
Greetings from a warm Buenos Aires.
Today after the swimming pool, I will continue with Mont Tremblant!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy