Alpha channels refusing to work (Slimtex), more details in post

Posted by Calligaris 
Yes it is me fishing for livery design advices again, this time though I have a very precise problem.
When i convert my TGA files into TEX files with Slimtex it looks like it ignores the alpha channel. Let me illustrate the problem with screenshots.

As you can see I properly have an Alpha Channel on my livery.

I convert my TGA with Slimtex. prefix: hi, macros: cars.

Cars still look like mirrors as if the Alpha was white

Plus (it's hard to see on the pic) the cars get this weirdly checkered texture which is, I think, gimp transparency background.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong ? I've been losing quite a few hours on this, and have no idea what the problem could be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 01:04PM by Calligaris.
How have you made the alpha channels? Have you been using gimp ?
I advise you to make all the modifications needed before convert the file using the slimtex like flip the image for instance .
Slimtex settings look fine. You could check if the tex file has the alpha by opening it with slimtex, then right-click on the image. That will show the alpha. If it doesn't have one, it'll be a white square.

It's not necessary to make any modifications before converting, slimtex does them just fine.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
kedy89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slimtex settings look fine. You could check if the
> tex file has the alpha by opening it with slimtex,
> then right-click on the image. That will show the
> alpha. If it doesn't have one, it'll be a white
> square.
>
> It's not necessary to make any modifications
> before converting, slimtex does them just fine.

I've checked, the tex file does seem to have an alpha channel, maybe it's too bright ? It's the default one that comes with the SMD model though, and even the darker parts, like the legs, still shine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 03:37PM by Calligaris.
rracunis Wrote:
> How have you made the alpha channels? Have you
> been using gimp ?
> I advise you to make all the modifications needed
> before convert the file using the slimtex like
> flip the image for instance .

Yeah I've been using Gimp (can't afford photoshop), took a long while to understand how on earth Alpha Channels work there, but Slimtex shows the Alpha Channel, so the channel itself is probably not the problem.
Are you using dynamic environment mapping (either trough in game graphics or in f1graphics.cfg)? If yes, change it to 0 or choose static environment mapping.

If you use dynamic ones, then your car needs to have quite dark alpha channels as it is powerfull lightning .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 03:58PM by vesuvius.
Solved it in the end, I was basing my alphas on the original SMD one, apparently with user generated tracks, and the modded skies they use, it was way to light.

Still have to find a balance, but the issue should be solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 04:48PM by Calligaris.
Calligaris Wrote:
> Solved it in the end, I was basing my alphas on
> the original SMD one, apparently with user
> generated tracks, and the modded skies they use,
> it was way to light.
>
> Still have to find a balance, but the issue should
> be solved.

If the track has sky dome, the reason is that combination with dynamic env. mapping the cars will look shiny. There are few ways to solve it, here you go:

-darker the alpha channels until happy with the result.
- open .gp4 file from each track.wad that has the problem and search sky, if the sky object is materialised as MISCTSO (or something like that) it will look very reflective, you should change it to HORIZON, to make it less relective.

- turn off dynamic environment mappings and use static ones.

All of those should work and solve the problem.
The default alphas from Maikel's cars are all fine. Never had any issues with them on any track.

I'd try either what vesa suggested, or different f1graphics.

That's the one I currently use for the GPGSL recordings [pastebin.com]

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Again, thanks a lot for the help guys.

Dynamic env. was already off so it's time for some graphics tinkering (i'll try removing the sky dome as well).
I'll post a bunch of liveries soon to keep harassing you people ;-)

In the meantime
*cue music from any movie's science montage*
Let's tinker
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy