The end of exclusivity...what does this mean for Codemasters?

Posted by Isaint 
Personally I am very pleased with this news a part from the graphics which any game maker worth its salt can produce today, I must admit I do not like the F1 sims that this company have produced. They are far too long winded and there is no option to just shorten the bull-@#$%& get in a car drive then watch the replay ( Of the whole field ). There is also no spectator view ( no AI racing one and other which people have been crying out for since the inception o F1 Code-master games, as a company they have never really listened to the consumer so, ..... goodbye. I for one will be glad for some other company to have a crack at a new F1 game.
I know a lot of people rate Codemasters but its all about opinion and this is mine.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
I think it's frustrating that with Codemasters game you can't even have the option of having correct track advertising or car liveries - modded liveries with mirrored logos don't exactly look great and track adverts can never be accurately updated! GP4 is almost 20 years old and yet with GP4 builder and other tools you can change pretty much everything to have realistic looking tracks and the amazing car makers we are so lucky to have, can create exact replicas with all the correct sponsors and even track specific versions.
Maybe the physics and overall feel of driving in GP4 is outdated, but I've tried Codemaster's game twice and always end up going back to GP4

I hope GP5 becomes a reality at some point
What's the news? I couldn't find anything about it.

I've played Codemasters F1 '12 or '13 and it was some fun with nice handling while using a controller, rather than a keyboard, but it was lacking something so it became boring after like 2 weeks of playing. I agree that we need the modern moddeable racing sim with good AI (GP4 game), good physics (rFactor) and some modern graphics if you like to (Codemasters). Btw, it would be great to have some AI improvemets to see some more advanced fashion to racing - stuff like driver saving fuel/tyres when he is in the lead and has a decent gap (GP4 AI drivers will always push hard no matter what the race situation is), or doing the opposite (Senna at Monaco 88), or AI driver facing a technical trouble and chosing to stay on track still (Shummy at Barcelona 94 when he had ONLY 5th gear working for the half of the race), driver celebrating a victory too early (Mansell Canada 91 or that F2 guy some seasons ago at Monaco, lol) or drivers stalling their engines/having a clutch problem at the start, and so on. No matter what the name of such game would be I would ceratinly buy it.

Oh, found that Monaco guy I was talking about. It happened so long ago, God I feel old now ;)
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2019 07:31PM by Soutsen.
So hmm Microprose comes back in game industry and Codemasters deal ends? Hmm sounds too good ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 03:45PM by vesuvius.
Code masters site.
[forums.codemasters.com]

Member of R.S.C.T Group
The question is; will Geoff Crammond come out of retirement?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Rumor has it that Geoff has a been a member of GP4 ORG since its origin. He has registered under a pseudonym .........?
I think I know who it is ......................;)

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 04:42PM by Isaint.
Isaint écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rumor has it that Geoff has a been a member of GP4
> ORG since its origin. He has registered under a
> pseudonym .........?
> I think I know who it is ......................;)

You or Excalibur ;)
Isaint Wrote:
> Rumor has it that Geoff has a been a member of GP4
> ORG since its origin. He has registered under a
> pseudonym .........?
> I think I know who it is ......................;)

Yea, that's me. How did you know that? :-O

Btw, I was thinking of it and to me it seems like the only major think that GP4 is lacking is multiplayer. Graphics can be good with some f1graphics.cfg tweaks, as the screenshot thread shows very well, physics are outdated but can be tweaked as well, modability is great - the tracks and cars can be created not that hard. For me this game is just a little below the GPLegends standarts, which has extremely good physics but also has some big limits, since it was designed to represent classic F1 era. It looks good btw with some latest tracks maden for it, check this out:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 05:33PM by Soutsen.
Lolllllllllllllllllllloooouuuuuud!!

you got me I admit I think its Excalibur.;)

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Very Nice Beautiful Scenery like you are really there.(Y)
Yes I also agree with all that you said.;-)

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Isaint écrivait:
> Lolllllllllllllllllllloooouuuuuud!!
>
> you got me I admit I think its Excalibur.;)

Shhhhttt! It was a secret, Lez! So, I think that I am not anonymous anymore, now... :(

;) ... I wish I had its talent and skills as a programmer but my girlfriend said: "You know nothing, Jon snow"

So, my dream would be that Microprose and Sir Geoff Crammond make a new F1 sim together. With their experience and especially what they managed to produce in 2002 with GP4 in terms of IA, physics,immersion with replays and cameras, I could imagine what it could be today.
Personaly, I bought F1 2018 and F1 2019 from Codies. Even if I am not a fan of the series, in one hand, I must admit that they have improved the realism of the physics of the cars but on the other hand, for me it is just an arcade/ sim game with the season up to date and good graphics but poor IA and immersion. But we are far from a real F1 simulation as Microprose and Geoff Crammond used to build.
Among all the actual F1 games that I have tested, the IA still remains the best in GP4. About the physics, you can even see the behaviour of each suspension on the wheels in game regarding your settings, which is absolutely amazing! If you remember Geoff's interview by Jimbob1 and the fact that he has coded the game into C++, it requires a perfect knowledge and mastering of that language to get the result that we know.

I honestly think that Codemasters will not lose its official licence until 2021, at best... But if Microprose builds a new F1 sim, even with fictional F1, it could be a serious concurrent to Codies for the future to get the official licence(even if for commercial reasons, F1 TM probably thinks that a F1 game must be affordable and "easy to play" to sell a max of copies)

But who knows? Microprose's come back can let us dream and hope for the next years. :-)

PS: Could Geoff Crammond's username start with "Fon" and ending with "gu" ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 06:57PM by Excalibur.
The F1 license will make the game rather unmoddable. Look at F1 2019, you can barely change anything.
Well Said Arnaud I agree:-)

Did you say Fong ..... Who???;)

Aaaaaaaah!! I get it its him ...................... Its him .........hot

Who is John Snow? Is he from some GAME you've THRONE away.;)

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 07:21PM by Isaint.
Darksoul écrivait:
> The F1 license will make the game rather
> unmoddable. Look at F1 2019, you can barely change
> anything.

All depends of the encryption used for the assets groups and others textures packages . I don't think that this is a condition from F1 trademark but more a will from the developpers.
I don't think that Microprose was expected the game to be modded with the great tools that we have. But I don't think that they were expected the game to be still alive and appreciated in 2019 ;-)
So, maybe we could expect to some possibilities of customizations with a F1 sim without the official F1 licence... Tools could be developped later as it was made for GP4 (just a supposition and a wish...)

@Lez: You made my day with this! ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 07:24PM by Excalibur.
I already have preview from Geof .... I mean Fong ....Who;)

GP5

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Excalibur schrieb:
> PS: Could Geoff Crammond's username start with
> "Fon" and ending with "gu" ?

I remember that rumour now that you're mentioning it. I'm not sure but I thought this has been more or less debunked ages ago.

Concerning the Codies games: I think one should not give them too much hate. It's tough to fill GP4's footsteps (we're a fan forum after all) and currently we are in the great situation of having a ton of superb modern racing sims at our hands (AC,IR,R3E, various rally games, etc). Imho especially F1 2019 is a decent game, probably not outstanding, but that is a difficult thing to achieve considering the competition in the segment.

And one should not forget that GP4 was far from being friendly to modders after its release (no tools available, file formats mostly different from GP3's). But back in the day people were aware it could take half a decade or more till the next F1 game so putting a lot of effort into development of custom tools to make modding possible was a viable option. Nowadays we get a new iteration of F1 every year and so going through the tedious process of basically reverse engineering everything is just a lot less rewarding.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
n00binio Wrote:
> And one should not forget that GP4 was far from
> being friendly to modders after its release (no
> tools available, file formats mostly different
> from GP3's). But back in the day people were aware
> it could take half a decade or more till the next
> F1 game so putting a lot of effort into
> development of custom tools to make modding
> possible was a viable option. Nowadays we get a
> new iteration of F1 every year and so going
> through the tedious process of basically reverse
> engineering everything is just a lot less
> rewarding.

That's exactly why the best option would be having just a good mod-friendly sim, so people could make whatever they want to play, including the historical seasons, different classes (open-wheelers, stock cars, endurance, karting, hill-climbing, rally, dakar, ice racing, even trucks). It could be not really profitable for the sales, though, if people outside the developing team can easily make mods, cars and tracks on their own. But anyway, if the game is really good enough, I think lots of racing fans would buy it even if the price is higher. Btw, to me it seems that the modern games are focusing less on AI 'cos their main focus is on luring the actual players into the multiplayer. Also what we need is Playstation 5 and Xbox Two (or whatever they would call it) to come out, so the companies would make new engines that could be handled with all these crappy console processors, since the console market is still more profitable than PC atm.

Btw, where is that video of some cool geezer sitting in front of pc and talking about physics in flight and racing sims, posted in some of these topics a couple (maybe more) years ago? Was incredibly fun and informative to watch.

And Geoff's acc is surely this one:
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 09:31PM by Soutsen.
Isaint Wrote:
> I already have preview from Geof .... I mean Fong
> ....Who;)
>
> GP5
>

I tag Ren..... é ;)

:-)

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy