GP4 tweaker

Posted by neilcaine 
GP4 tweaker
Date: September 22, 2019 11:06AM
Posted by: neilcaine
I've just upgraded to a Windows 10 pc and installing GP4 has been ok until I try installing and using GP4 tweaker (latest version). I use the same settings from the gp4tweak.ini file I used on my previous Windows 7 pc and it's causing slowdowns at certain points in the lap.
When I install the game i also install gpxpatch, team editor along with gp4 tweaker and I've found that it's only when I install gp4 tweaker, I get this slowdown problem.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?
Re: GP4 tweaker
Date: September 22, 2019 11:55AM
Posted by: vesuvius
I think I have similar problem, a small slow down or lacking happends in every 10 seconds or so. I first thought this was due to recent windows 10 updates, but I also installed gp4tweaker reloaded at the same time and I now think that´s the one causing the problem, before that I used some other gp4tweaker version and it didn´t cause that problem.

these slow downs happends in every track, every session, have tried various cars.wad´s and even with only one car, so it isn´t problem tracks or cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2019 11:58AM by vesuvius.
Date: September 23, 2019 06:23AM
Posted by: TomMK
Hmm this is interesting. I've always noticed some apparent slow-down (even though the PO stays below 100%) and never known what to suspect. It might be interesting to see what happens if we eliminate Tweaker from a modern mod and see how GP4 behaves....

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: September 23, 2019 09:20AM
I've never had as much trouble getting gP4 to run as I have with Windows 10 on my new computer. I was getting "unable to extract support files, catastrophic failure" when trying to install the 9.6 patch and it was just by pure luck I think when I finally managed to get that installed! Then the slowdowns when using any track once I've installed gp4 tweaker. It seems to be the same sections of each track where it happens and it isn't on every lap so sometimes I think I've fixed it and 2 or 3 laps in it happens again. It looks like it is GP4 tweaker related but if anyone can think of anything else, I'd appreciate any solutions. I log on as an administrator but I doubt that would be causing it Bring back windows XP!!!
Date: September 23, 2019 12:25PM
Have you tried the GP4 Central version of GP4? It does not require installation and comes pre-packaged with the 9.6 patch, decrypted no-cd .exe and GPxPatch, ready to go. Using that I have no problems at all on Windows 10.

Date: September 23, 2019 12:39PM
Yes I did try that pre-packaged version and although it did solve the patch problem, it didn't solve the slowdown issue - It isn't anything to do with processor or graphics card as they should be more than enough for gp4 but it seems each new version of windows raises more issues. I hope I don't have to give up on gp4 when every other programme or game runs better with the new pc!

If you use team editor and gp4 tweaker, do you have any issues? - If not, something else must be causing the issue and I can't figure it out
Date: September 23, 2019 12:55PM
I have no major issues on Windows 10. But I'm curious about whether a modern GP4 mod can be done without Tweaker so I'm going to experiment with that...

Date: September 23, 2019 01:37PM
I was hoping it wasn't gp4 tweaker causing the issues as it is so useful for changing co-ordinates for tyres, helmets and steering wheels and as I don't use mods, a lot of the other tweaks are useful also
Date: September 23, 2019 07:40PM
Well it looks like I've found the problem by adding files step by step to my game installation. Each time I was adding gp4 tweaker, I was also adding my own cars.wad - which looks like it's the issue.
I tried running the game with the original cars.wad file after installing everything else and the game runs smoothly again. It never occurred to me that this would be the issue as installations on windows xp and 7 had always been ok with my cars.wad which is 364 mb. Is this unusually high? I only use lod 0 files but I know the new cars do have large texture files

Does anyone run the game on windows 10 with similar or larger cars.wad files? - It look like I'm going to be using smaller texture files!

Apologies for any time you've spent looking at gp4 tweaker
Date: September 23, 2019 08:02PM
Posted by: gap177
Neil, running Windows 10 with latest update on my laptop and my cars.wad is 572 MB with no issues. What I have learned over the years is that using tweaker and team editor in the same exe causes issues.

Glenn (Cdn)
Date: September 23, 2019 10:01PM
Posted by: Noog
I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time today), but I think TeamEditor edits the .exe directly, whereas GP4Tweaker edits the memory after the exe has loaded, which is why they don't play nice together.

For example, sometimes you can edit the camera view in TeamEditor and nothing happens in the game because Tweaker is over-riding it further down the road.

Ultimately, there's nothing TeamEditor can do that you can't do elsewhere (although sometimes it's the quickest way to do something).
Date: September 23, 2019 11:02PM
I use team editor to make sure GP4 uses only Lod 0 for cars, helmets and tyres, I don't know any other way to do that but I know GP4 tweaker can be used for everything else
Date: September 23, 2019 11:55PM
Posted by: gap177
Neil, try this gp4 exe. I edited years ago with a hex editor.

Gp4 exe_lod 0: [www.mediafire.com]

Glenn
Date: September 24, 2019 12:34AM
Thanks Glenn, much appreciated, that seems to have worked and I also recompiled my cars.wad file just to be sure (it seems I had some files in there that weren't being used!) - So far so good! I'll try it more thoroughly over the next couple of days
Date: September 24, 2019 02:30PM
Posted by: Soutsen
@gap177 have you tried experimenting with these values?
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Im just not good with hex editing and don't have much time right now to do anything to find out if anything of these actually works.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy