Returning! Struggles with tracks

Posted by MaxD 
Returning! Struggles with tracks
Date: September 16, 2019 12:57AM
Posted by: MaxD
Hi everyone, just reinstalled my favourite kind of racing game although Ive never actually played GP4 (plenty of years playing gp2 and 3...)
I have trolled this forum and others looking for why when I use TSM the original tracks appear instead of the Mod ones but so far I cannot see the solution or what I am doing wrong! Can anyone advise?...
I am playing with the 1991 Mod but the tracks will not load and I keep getting the Phoenix.wad error when it tries to load the circuits.
Can anyone help this dumbass 43 year old kid?!
;o)
Re: Returning! Struggles with tracks
Date: September 16, 2019 01:16AM
Posted by: quickslick
here's a link with the trackpacks for 1988, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1999 of Ploddek and Cleberpista. As the season 1991 is included, i think you should use his one [www.4shared.com]
Date: September 16, 2019 03:02AM
Posted by: TomMK
I recommend to use GPxTrack to install tracks rather than TSM - see here for how to do that: [www.gp4central.com]

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: September 17, 2019 07:02AM
thanks buddy - gonna download the rest of them tonight. Still issues though with trying to get the 1991 tracks working...
Date: September 17, 2019 07:06AM
Hey Tom. Thanks for the reply! Still can't run them though! Installed phoenix, interlagos and imola in slots 1,2 and 3 (as in the .dat files replacing the first 3 in the circuits directory) but they still wont load...
Also, I have to use TSM and CSM to use the 1991 Mod as going into GPxPatch and running the game from there only loads the original cars from 2002 or whenever its from...
where am I going wrong?
;o)
Date: September 18, 2019 12:48PM
Posted by: Noog
Any joy yet Max?

I tried to write something yesterday to help you but to be perfectly honest, it's probably best if you can work most of it out for yourself. Firstly because you'll eventually get to the point where you can make a new track run in seconds and secondly because it's an absolute nightmare for me to explain all the things that can get in your way in less than 10,000 words.

In a nutshell, the problem is precisely that as a new user you logically assumed that all you had to do was install the game, install the mod and install the trackpack.

Yeah..., but no. GP4 has its own peculiar logic and ultimately you have to learn it. Fortunately, it's worth it.

One tip I'll offer from my time pulling out my hair:

Don't try to update the tracks and the cars all in one go. Get the tracks working first, then you can move on to the mod.

Get TomMKs updated installation pack.

Run it and check it works.

Back it up - now you have a fall back copy.

Make another copy. This is the one you'll update.

Install the tracks/trackpack you want. Compare what you have in this version with your untouched copy.

Notice how (probably, depending on the trackpack), you now have a CIRCUITS folder containing a folder for each track, containing the .dat and the .wad. This is key.

Get it working ;) . Feel free to ask, because that bit can present many different hurdles.

Now you can install the mod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 01:00PM by Noog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy