AI too fast in the wet? A solution!

Posted by salvasirignano 
AI too fast in the wet? A solution!
Date: September 06, 2019 01:24PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Copied from the magic data thread...
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edit / Sorry, Atticus actually discovered this earlier, on page ten of the above thread, I didn't see it! ;)

Wet weather solved! ;):-)(Y)(H)

I've been testing and creating 1997 physics files, trying to improve the car handling, progressive, saveable tyre slip etc. I'll release what I have done soon, I'm delighted with the results.
The only problem with it is that whilst I have to wring the neck of my Arrows to get it off the back row of the grid on Ace (using Pedro Diniz grip of 15800 ish) the AI were trouncing me in the wet, I was 3 seconds off the slowest AI car, driving dozens of laps on the edge. If I could only slow them down..

My first thought was to give them bad setups, but that only resulted in a laptime variation of roughly 1 second around Interlagos, plus if the track were to become dry, it wouldn't be a good solution anyway.

So I took a look at the magic data....

11053 ; AI Tyre Change due to weather
18000 ; AI Tyre changes Finetune ?
12 ; Rain Chance (%)
6 ; Start Segment of some range
6 ; End segment of some range
256 ; AI Race Grip ?
13000 ; Unknown
233 ; Unknown
10000 ; Black Flag Penalty (ms)
2048 ; Black Flag Speed Reduction ?
190 ; Unknown
120 ; Unknown
80 ; Unknown
160 ; Unknown (*)
0 ; Handbrake ?
1814 ; Player Garage Y Pos
896 ; AI Garage Y Position
0 ; Garage Angle (8192=45°)
0 ; Pit Y Position
0 ; Pit Y Position Finetune
16384 ; Unknown
16384 ; Unknown
16384 ; Unknown
16384 ; Unknown
16384 ; Unknown
16384 ; Unknown
100 ; 1 Stop Percentage (%)
15 ; Stop1 (sector)
11 ; Pit Window 1 (range)
0 ; Unused
0 ; Unused
0 ; Unused
0 ; Unused
0 ; Unused
0 ; 2 Stops Percentage (%)

(*) THIS VALUE, 89 unknown in GP4 builder, controls the AI cornering speed or grip, in wet weather, Independently of dry weather!
I tested it at Interlagos, exiting the weekends and alt tabbing in order to reload the same weather with a different .dat

Changing it yielded the following results

Default value 80 Fastest AI 1.28 (vs a pole time in dry of 15.8, too quick for a fully wet track, hence my troubles..)
Changing it to 500, Fastest AI 1.49.9 (straight line speed unaffected, cornering much slower)
Changing it to 1000, AI take each corner at literally 5mph, laptimes would be several minutes.
Changing it to 160, Fastest AI 1.31.0

For all these values the dry times stayed the same, ie it has zero effect.

It appears that increasing the value has an initially linear effect on laptimes, a change of 40 slowed them 1.5 seconds, raising it 80 slowed them by my desired 3 seconds.

Will test further, but for now it looks like a good solution! I've avoided wet weather for a decade because of the performance disparity, so I'm delighted :-)

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 03:26PM by salvasirignano.
Re: AI too fast in the wet? A solution!
Date: September 06, 2019 02:21PM
Posted by: landex
salvasirignano, this are great news! Thanks(B)
Date: September 06, 2019 03:18PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
No problem! I'll keep experimenting and try to see what the other three values above it are.

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: September 06, 2019 03:32PM
Posted by: teunieeegp4
Thanks good news, the AI is always faster than me in the wet. Nice to see this test.
Date: September 09, 2019 06:29PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Nice find, keep us updated. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy