RIP Anthoine.....

Posted by gezere 
RIP Anthoine.....
Date: August 31, 2019 09:38PM
Posted by: gezere
Sorry to be off topic , and surely not on the right forum but.... I am devastated tonight

Repose en paix Anthoine

My most sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 08:58PM by gezere.
Re: RIP Antoine.....
Date: August 31, 2019 09:42PM
Posted by: bencoull
RIP Antoine :(
Date: August 31, 2019 10:22PM
Posted by: huskyman49
Very sad to hear about this tragic accident which cost the life of such a talented young driver.
My deepest sympathy to his family. RIP Antoine.
Date: August 31, 2019 10:27PM
Posted by: MSchumi24
I do not know what to say... I'm not good at this kind of situations ...

I can only say that it is a news that has shocked me, I'm really sorry, Antoine rests in peace, what can I add ...
Date: August 31, 2019 11:02PM
Posted by: Soutsen
Sad thing, to say the very least.

I know this is gonna be highly unpopular opinion on this, but I think that there should be no "Eau Rouge" anymore. With the configuration of the corner it was just a matter of time for such tragedy to happen (and it happens not for the 1st time - Steffan Bellof '85, also Zanardi'93 almost and BARs'99). Yeah, challenge and entertainment is a good thing, but when the life of a human is the cost - we should do all the possible to minimase the risks.

Date: August 31, 2019 11:38PM
Posted by: quickslick
RIP Antoine, that's really very sad :(
Date: September 01, 2019 12:04AM
Posted by: n00binio
Soutsen schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this is gonna be highly unpopular opinion
> on this, but I think that there should be no "Eau
> Rouge" anymore. With the configuration of the
> corner it was just a matter of time for such
> tragedy to happen (and it happens not for the 1st
> time - Steffan Bellof '85, also Zanardi'93 almost
> and BARs'99). Yeah, challenge and entertainment is
> a good thing, but when the life of a human is the
> cost - we should do all the possible to minimase
> the risks.

I would say that over a season there are plenty of situations at various tracks and corners that have the potential to lead to such an accident (I witnessed a really close call in a feeder series at this year's German GP myself). It is often avoided due to skill or pure luck, but as sad as it is in the end it is also a matter of statistics that sometimes the outcome is horrible.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: September 01, 2019 12:55AM
Posted by: landex
RIP Hubert. It is a sad moment for every one love this sport.

Very, Very Sad.
Date: September 01, 2019 03:18AM
n00binio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say that over a season there are plenty of
> situations at various tracks and corners that have
> the potential to lead to such an accident (I
> witnessed a really close call in a feeder series
> at this year's German GP myself). It is often
> avoided due to skill or pure luck, but as sad as
> it is in the end it is also a matter of statistics
> that sometimes the outcome is horrible.

No, I don't talk about the usual corners. This is a blind one - you can't see what's happening until you reach the end of it, it is also a very high-speed corner, so you dont have much time to react, also it is profiled in the way that (if you do everything right while moving through this corner) you can't chose the left side of the road, because the physical force naturally pushes, forces your car to the right side of the road where if you'll go even further right - you'll find yourself at the barriers very likely, so it's not like you have much options to choose going trough it. Yes, it is a dangerous corner, don't tell me things like this can happen of every place of every track:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Or look at this:
[www.youtube.com]
1:05 almost identical crash which happened to Antoine, so yeah, statistically it would be a matter of time for this to happen AT THIS EXACT CORNER, not at "Loews" at Monaco, you know

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 03:28AM by Soutsen.
Date: September 01, 2019 07:47AM
Posted by: kedy89
Date: September 01, 2019 06:52PM
Posted by: airbusa380
R.I.P.
Re: RIP Anthoine.....
Date: September 01, 2019 10:28PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Very sad tragedy and frightening crash, indeed. Rest in peace Antoine...

@Soutsen: Despite safety improvements in cars and on the runway for several years now ( safety cell, suspensions cables, halo, tecpro etc...), this tragedy reminds us that zero risk does not exist and that motorsports remains dangerous. The drivers know it and accept it. This is part of F1 (and others series) and part of drivers life.
You can delete Eau Rouge, you can strenghten security, rules or whatever, one day, another tragedy will happen somewhere, unfortunately because "errare humanum est" and you can't anticipate and control all human mistakes.
What makes SPA one of the singular and best track of the world is the scenery, the lenght of the track, the fast downhill and blind climbing at Eau Rouge, the speed reached between Kemmel and Les combes etc... That's why most of the international drivers love this track: the feelings, adrenaline and what it provides.
Adrenaline, motivation, speed, risks, anticipation, accidents, death: professionals drivers know how to handle this and sometimes, because our mind just want to forget it, adrenaline, speed but also risks are the essence of motorsports.
It is useful to continue to work on safety but human and zero risk are not compatible...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 09:09PM by Excalibur.
Date: September 02, 2019 03:05AM
As I said, I know my opinion would be highly unpopular. Still, I think that my point is not about making the racing 100 sterile and watch them going around at 20 km/h speed limit - it's just about the one well-known obviously dangerous corner.

You talk about risks, but I don't think that they are racing to find out "who is the most risky driver". I think it is about who is the most skilled and smart driver, and such things can be shown on tracks which has no such unnecessarily dangerous corners as Eau Rouge is. This is far from "usual human risk". I know very well that the tragic accident can happen at the racing car competition obviously. But again - if this is a sport, then you need to minimaze all the possible risks to harm human's health (participants, spectators, track personnel and so on). Just like they had strengthened the wheel anti-separation protection (I dont know what the term is but I'm talking about the cables preventing the tyres from separating from chassis after the crash mainly) after we lost Henry Surtees, for example. But I don't think that anything can happen to Eau Rouge corner, since F1 is not about sport, but more about "show" these days. Even Ross Brawn, who has an engeneer origins, now is talking about F1 as the "show" (seems like this is a main Liberty Media agenda):
Ross Brawn, less than a week ago:
"I think with the 10 teams we have, 10 healthy teams in F1 is actually enough. And if we do get any extra teams they have to really add to the show. We must learn from history, so many small teams came and went, and didn't really add to F1"
So, yeah. This is not about the competition of the talented constructors and engineers (such as Brawn himself) anymore (like it was throughout the golden era of F1 racing with the names like Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, John Barnard and so on), but rather about the show with the night grand pries (just cos they "look cool" ), fireworks at the race start and finish, and with the underside plank returned from early 90's just to produce flashy sparks, lol, This is all so fake, that I barely watch F1 now (don't even know yet who've won the Belgian gp today). And this flirting with the "adrenaline" and "risk" matter, making the racing look "spicy" (with all this moaning - "oh, we might could've forgot how dangerous this sport is" ) is also fake. You know what? Racing will stay dangerous because of its nature, even if you'll get rid of one obviously life-threatening corner. But I'm dead sure that Eau Rouge will stay because it adds to the show this feeling of knowing that somebody can crash right there, at this exact spot, with a possible bad outcome. Don't you feel something when the car goes off at Eau Rouge? I felt so when one of the Renaults crashed at the exit a couple years ago, I remember how it feels like.

In other words - we know that the marthial arts is a dangerous sport as well and people are there to effectively knock their opponnent out, but no one gives them razors or swords, you know, to make their fights even more dangerous and deadly.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 03:21AM by Soutsen.
Date: September 02, 2019 12:54PM
Posted by: viking75
I don't know if someone in this topic already said cause I don't understand very well english but the Raidillon de l'Eau Rouge is too dangerous since a long time and might be changed for the life of the drivers.
Date: September 02, 2019 02:13PM
Posted by: fandericciardo3
R.I.P. Anthoine
Date: September 02, 2019 06:20PM
Posted by: thestig88
Rest In Peace Anthoine
Date: September 02, 2019 09:18PM
Posted by: Excalibur
@Soutsen: I don't think your opinion is unpopular because your arguments are fully comprehensible. So, I respect this, even if I don't agree with all what you said (but I do agree with some fake aspects of F1 show that you mentionned) ;-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy