[Video] Grand Prix 4 Tutorials: How to Install Track (CSM & Non-CSM)

Posted by AzSchumy 
Hello! GP4 Tutorials are back once again. I've done the tutorials on how to install Grand Prix 4 Mods few months ago. I received a lot of question regarding the procedure to install circuits in this amazing game. I know there are some tutorials in the forum, but some people are visual learner. So I provide video especially to newbie who wants to involve with Grand Prix 4.

Basically, track installation in GP4 can be divided into three, this video will cover all of it.
1.) Trackpack Installation using TSM
2.) Standalone Circuit Installation using TSM
3.) Standalone Circuit Installation Non-TSM

Video Link: [www.youtube.com]

Hey AzSchumy

Thanks for posting this video. However, I am having trouble using TSM and I hope someone can help me.

Whenever I load a trackpack through TSM and start the game through CSM all the tracks in the GP4 main menu are blanked out and if I pick a track (by counting the track slots) and start a session - the original track appears - not the one that should be there in the trackpack!

An example is if I load the 1997 trackpack and go to track 17 - it should be Jerez, right. However when I go to the track it is Suzuka (just as in the normal GP4 tracklisting). When I try to look for Jerez in the other slots - it just doesn't seem to be there. I have had this trouble with the 1999 trackpack and also when I have tried to load an individual track. I have watched the video (5 times without blinking) and I have followed all the steps but I just cant get it to work.

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.
Hey AzSchumy

I forgot to mention that the video ends while you are showing how to install individual tracks without CSM but it does not look like the tutorial was actually finished. I am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance
Hello! Sorry I did not provide narration for that video. I'll try my best to answer your question.

1. If the track does not appear, try check these boxes.

-Most of the mods have "load only the current track" on default. Meaning that track slot 2 to 17 are original tracks. Only one from installed trackpack.
-Try checking the "list" box as well and select track profile you want. Leaving it "none" will load the original track.

2. For non-csm track installation, you just replace trackname.wad in GP4 directory and S1DCTxx.dat in circuit section straight away. It will replace the track data from original game. But you need to do backup if you want to revert original version because it's permanent change. Using TSM they only swap data w/out permanent change to original tracks.
Thanks AzSchumy

I will try your suggestions for TSM and will let you know how it works out.
Hey AzSchumy

It was the load all tracks option in the Track Loading Method box that fixed it.

Thank you very very much !
Hello,

Is there a way to export trackpacks which are larger than 2gb? As i am trying to export my personal trackpacks to make the installation on other computers easier. For some trackpacks i get this error message:

Is there a way to tweak this?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 12:36PM by Carl_gpgames.
Carl_gpgames écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to export trackpacks which are
> larger than 2gb? As i am trying to export my
> personal trackpacks to make the installation on
> other computers easier. For some trackpacks i get
> this error message:
> [i.imgur.com]
>
> Is there a way to tweak this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Carl

CSM was built for a x86 architecture which supports until 2GB virtual ram only
You can try to overpass this limitation by using CFF Explorer (Explorer Suite): [ntcore.com]
Here is the method I describe into this thread: [www.grandprixgames.org] (the method described is for gp4.exe but it also works for others applications)
You can also use the 4GB patch described into the thread (easier)
I don't use CSM but I did it with TSM.exe
Important: Don't forget to apply the 4gb patch to gp4.exe also

If you have got some issues with this, look at the posts below mine, there are specifics methods with CSM desbribed. I hope that it will help you ;-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 02:31PM by Excalibur.
Thank you Excalibur. I have already tried this method, unfortunately it does no exceed the 2gb-Limit for trackpacks. This limit must be written somewhere in the programm itself (like export-options).
I am wondering if there is another way to create tsm-trackpacks without using tsm itself.
Carl_gpgames écrivait:
> Thank you Excalibur. I have already tried this
> method, unfortunately it does no exceed the
> 2gb-Limit for trackpacks. This limit must be
> written somewhere in the programm itself (like
> export-options).
> I am wondering if there is another way to create
> tsm-trackpacks without using tsm itself.

Yes, there is a tool to install tracks manually: Track installer 1.3 made by Duffer
Look at his tutorial installation on this thread: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Here is the link to the program, as RealGPX website doesn't exist anymore: [www.mediafire.com]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you Excalibur. I have just tried this but as far as i unterstand, i can only creat "Track Installer Packages", but not TSM-Trackpacks.

It works for me to export single tracks with TSM but not the entire 17 tracks as a "TSM Trackpack", since for some season all 17 tracks together are more than 2gb.
Carl_gpgames écrivait:
> Thank you Excalibur. I have just tried this but as
> far as i unterstand, i can only creat "Track
> Installer Packages", but not TSM-Trackpacks.
>
> It works for me to export single tracks with TSM
> but not the entire 17 tracks as a "TSM Trackpack",
> since for some season all 17 tracks together are
> more than 2gb.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say that track installer is a program to install tracks manually but it is not compatible with TSM trackpacks.
I don't know others program that could allow you to create TSM trackpacks without TSM.
If the CFF explorer method or the 4GB patch don't work on TSM.exe, I don't see other solution than to reduce the track wads if possible (size of the textures etc...)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 05:57PM by Excalibur.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy