Is it just me?

Posted by Isaint 
Is it just me?
Date: February 19, 2019 01:20PM
Posted by: Isaint
This is just a personal feeling and whilst I appreciate that others may not agree I just have to ask the question.
.......... Dont you just feel that racing cars ( Open Wheelers ) are getting uglier and uglier?

I just dont like these new breed of F1 cars. To be sure they have this futuristic look and that is kind of attractive but from a pure racing point of view? I find the designs far too busy there are just no clean lines.

Then you go to Indy .. well, I just cant figure it. What the hell is going on there? They just look like glorified Soap box carts. I used to really love Indy cars but now I dont even recognise them.

As for Formula E? Well Im sorry but thats not even something I consider watching .............

Seems the only really clean looking open wheelers are the lower Formulas and Champ cars.:(

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 01:27PM by Isaint.
Re: Is it just me?
Date: February 19, 2019 01:24PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
+1000

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: February 19, 2019 02:08PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
+666

The cars from '91 and '92 are the best. They looked if they were drawn by Pininfarina.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: February 19, 2019 02:39PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
Near future...

Old beautifull

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 02:56PM by Meteoro405.
Date: February 19, 2019 04:49PM
You see that is beautiful Meteoro pure with clean lines.

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: February 19, 2019 04:50PM
Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> +666
>
> The cars from '91 and '92 are the best. They
> looked if they were drawn by Pininfarina.

Totally.

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: February 19, 2019 05:28PM
Posted by: tamburello
Big word! I don't like the modern cars either. Since especially 2014 the cars are ugly as hell im my opinon. I prefer also the cars from the 90s to early 2000s. This era had a lot of beauties and if every would've been in the same color, you could easily identify it on its shape. Today more or less all are cars are looking the same.
Date: February 19, 2019 05:59PM
Posted by: landex
For me are the beautiful cars from 60s to 1993.
But not only in the Sport racing, in the 60s and 70s are cars really sexy, beautiful and gorgeous.
Date: February 19, 2019 06:46PM
Posted by: jimbob1
i like the look of the later 80's & early 90 f1 cars the most.....agree that current f1 cars are just ugly
Date: February 19, 2019 08:06PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Best cars for me were those in the 70s 80s. They had more personality at that time IMHO and all recognizable in the blink of an eye. Then Tyrrell came with their high nose and everyone made the same car year after year.

Date: February 19, 2019 09:45PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
The cars were looking the best between 1998-2005 in my opinion. That's why I am watching old F1 races right now, to get the old feeling back

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: February 19, 2019 11:12PM
Posted by: TomMK
It's not just you.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 20, 2019 12:56AM
Posted by: livejackass
I understand that point of view. I really appreciate the old cars, especially those of the 30's. But I do not care about the current direction of the cars, I can always see some beauty.

Like innovations like Formula E, in aerodynamic terms they bring a new opportunity to drive. I believe that F1 will follow this concept in the near future (2021).

About Indy is a great category, I prefer the old ones as usual, but I also like the modern ones.

One thing that I noticed a certain exaggeration is in the sizes of the cars, these miniatures are scale 1; 43

The normal car is a popular car in Brazil from the 1980s.

Date: February 20, 2019 06:20AM
Posted by: vesuvius
I just love F1 cars, all kind and from all eras. 1998-2006 looked best for me, but even before that cars were stunning and even the current ones are.
Date: February 20, 2019 07:46AM
Posted by: torana_05
I love 90s F1 cars especially pre 94 ones. I think by the time we got to mid 2000s they all started be to very jumbled with aero licks here and there. i didn't mind the 2010-2013 each cars was a little different and could be recognisable from each other.

From the front (excluding halo) the 2019 cars do look proportionate (see renault launch pic)but the length of a modern f1 car is really a problem for me.

The indycars are the best of the lot imo, if we could get rid of the boxes in front of the rear wheels and reduce the size of the front wings we would be on a real winner.

On a side note maybe its just life getting busier and don't get time or i am getting old but the last 3 seasons my interest in f1 has declined. Ive stopped watching races and qualifying sessions live (which watching a European race live in Australia tells you that you are a committed fan)and I didn't watch the second half of last year and 2016, maybe there are too many races or something but i was over it by Singapore

Date: February 20, 2019 12:54PM
Posted by: Mullet345
I still think to myself sometimes about how the cars may have looked in 2009 had they not made the regulation changes at the time.

Date: February 20, 2019 01:51PM
Posted by: fongu
That model length comparison is fascinating.

I think the era you grew up with or got into motorsports is a huge factor of what you find beautiful. But being a child of the 90s, I have to say I miss the variety of the 70s and early 80s - not all of them beautiful though.

It's taking me a while to get used to wide front wings (not that I ever got used to them before), and that rear wing looks huge too. It's almost distracting me from looking at the halo.

Still, F1 should lead motorsports in aero, so I find all the aero appendages fascinating, though it would be a push for me to call them beautiful, I suppose I appreciate the level of detail more than the aesthetics.

For me the proportions are all wrong these days:
- why the skinny sidepods to go alongside a full-width floor
- why should the rear wing endplates have such a crease in it
- why are those front wings so huge when you don't need all the width of it to generate the downforce
- why are the cars so long, which is primarily aero driven.
- why is there so much space around the coke-bottle region, it's mostly floor.

Date: February 20, 2019 02:23PM
Posted by: Ripping Corpse
.....top cars of all time for me 1982, I hate cars with the nose high and with the entrance of air on top of the helmet of the pilot, at this moment the indy is much better than formula 1, in the aesthetics of cars....

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Date: February 20, 2019 02:28PM
Posted by: Ripping Corpse
....best cars for me all times, Ferrari 126 C2, Brabham BT 50, Brabham BT 55 and Lotus 88b, cars without front wings are wild....

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Date: February 20, 2019 02:36PM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
The best looking F1 cars are the generation from 1998 to 2004. This were really amazing cars with also amazing sounds. All the cars I coloured on my own are looking like these, also they are often quite similar to the teams of that years. Ferrari, Mclaren-Mercedes, BMW-Williams, (Benetton-)Renault, BAR-Honda, Sauber-Petronas, Jaguar-Ford, Jordan-Honda/-Ford, Minardi, Toyota, Arrows, Prost-Peugeot/-Acer and maybe Stewart-Ford and Tyrell. These were the best cars, teams and drivers ever in Formula One history! :-) (Y) Most of them are gone already. Fernando Alonso retired after the 2018 F1 Season, so Kimi Raikonnen is left as the only survivor of that great racing era from 1998 to 2004! And now Sauber is also gone from F1. Oh dear! :( (N)

Maybe that is my favourite F1 era because the middle of it is the original GP4 season! ;) ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 02:37PM by TGF1Driver2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy