I'm dropping playing GP4 immediately because all this technical anger is destroying my health!

Posted by TGF1Driver2 
Good evening dear GP4 community!

A few hours ago I was changing all T-Cam, helmet and steering wheel positions with TeamEditor, just like I do it already since ages. I clicked Apply all changes and everything would be fine, I thought. But as I started the game I got a black screen again. For some reason Norton took out GP4.exe again even I set it to allow that file. After putting it back to the GP4 folder the TeamEditor positions were back to default. I was screaming and shouting WHY!? with about 200 db. hot (N) I tried it again with another cars.wad and it has happened the same. So I was driving with the wrong positions then. ;-( :-( The 58 laps in Melbourne were running fine, but the 56 laps in Malaysia could be never finished. At the beginning of lap 38, just 200 metres before the first corner, I was in the lead, the game crashed again for no reason. Frozen screen, no game sound, after about 10 seconds crash to desktop with an error log, the same as last time after the Hungaroring crash where even SDI didn't know why the game crashed. I won't start a race anymore because I cannot guarantee if the whole race can be driven without a crash. A game isn't allow to crash during playing for no reason, and if it does it's not worth to play it again. That's my opinion, and I think it's the right one. Nevertheless I will drive a few races in January, but not that much that I would have been planned to drive. Well, what I just wanted to tell you is that my relationship to technical stuff has been haunted ever since, but since about the last 8 years it's getting worse and worse. All that anger and frustration with my computer and sometimes my smartphone are getting on my health more and more, I have nearly every day stomach pains coming for no reason, I know that they are only caused by stress and anger because of all those technical problems. I'm only 24 but I'm a broken man already. And I think it's not the sense of my life to scream and shout the whole day because of weird technical errors. This is exhausting me and it really cracks me up right now. :( (N) That's the reason why I decided to quit playing GP4 soon, I simply have to because of my health. Otherwise I will fall into the grave before my 30th birthday, and I don't want this to happen.

I wish you all Merry Christmas and happy days until Christmas, and racing without any technical errors, cause now you know, that can destroy people's health. ;-) ;)
Why the F would anyone use Norton? It's a known bloatware and resource hog. Use UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger on your browser. CCleaner once a week to clean the registry and dump tracking cookies and the cache. Malwarebytes once a week for malware/spyware etc. That's all I've ever needed to keep my computers clean. If Norton can't even properly whitelist gp4.exe what does that tell you?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Norton is crap, I know. But I can't get rid of it right now! :( hot
Dare I do another Linux ad?

No, don't. It gets old and makes everyone think you're a boring old fart...

But I am

So don't mention it then...

But surely TGF1Driver2 would like to know that my Linux box has never ever crashed mid-race?

No. He wouldn't. Be quiet.

But, but. Ah, OK.....

(D)
I have no money for a new computer at the moment! And that also might not save all my problems!
Noog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dare I do another Linux ad?
>
> No, don't. It gets old and makes everyone think
> you're a boring old fart...
>
> But I am
>
> So don't mention it then...
>
> But surely TGF1Driver2 would like to know that my
> Linux box has never ever crashed mid-race?
>
> No. He wouldn't. Be quiet.
>
> But, but. Ah, OK.....
>
> (D)

Tells him my precious. Him's is wanting to know and we don't wants anyone else's leaving the community because of silly technical stuff does we my precious. Lmho

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2018 11:38PM by Isaint.
I have little more than double your years and, despite certain beating, I count on having fun playing and making some changes on GP4. My wife says that I am a child, especially when with a friend of my age we put ourselves in the garage and we do a LAN race. However, think of me that just yesterday, thanks to the crash of my smartphone, I lost photos of the last holiday where there was the first video of my son on skis. You do not have to take it and you do not have to be that drastic. I too often used TeamEditor. Lately I had to give up in favor of GP4Tweaker because every car (2016) had different tire coordinates (with team editor you have tire coordinates equal to all cars). For the rest, TeamEditor is simpler, GP4Tweaker more complete. First I would throw away Norton that is @#$%& (to do this you will have to fight a lot). Then use a new GP4.exe. I noticed that all the changes made with Team Editor end up there (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but if you replace the exe everything returns as before, allowing you to do new tests. Always keep a copy of GP4.exe.
Maybe, but only MAYBE, the crash in Sepang was caused because I paused the race for more then half a hour after a few laps and my PC got into energy safing mode. Then I had to load the game again and could drive on. I'm not sure, but it might have been the same on Hungaroring some weeks ago. I will do a test tomorrow night.

Is there any other way to change the tyre, helmet and steering wheel positions except TeamEditor or GP4Tweaker? I might have read something about to make it with a txt-file.

I'm really sorry but I always getting very angry when the technic does not that what it should do! ;-( hot
@ Isaint - T'was exactly in me thoughts me dear...

@ mralpha - I agree about Team Editor. Reluctantly, I abandoned it too, for the same reasons. So you're an old fart too then? ;)

@ TGF1Driver2 - If you've a few Gigs spare for a partition you wouldn't need a new box. Better still, how about sticking an SSD in there? I've no axe to grind but...

WILL YOU BE QUIET!?
I use a PC with three Operating Systems. Considering that I do not like "Windows" after XP, I have a HD with Win7, one with XP and another with XP just for games, with GP4 various etc .. The hard disk for games does not have internet connections (and therefore they are excluding updates of the Operating System), firewalls, antivirus and everything that could slow down or block the PC. Only one LAN with another PC is active (always two O.S., Win7 and XP) which, as I said before, is only used for online races. The two PCs are very performing: the oldest is a quad-core 2.6 GHz, 6 GB of RAM and video card nVidia GeForce GT 730 4 GB, the other is an octa-core, with 8 GB of RAM and card twin video of the other. Unfortunately, technology sometimes gives problems and this bothers. The important thing is to understand how to get out and fix things. For example, I use an HD partition exclusively for the operating system. If it happens that the S.O. has some problems and does not start, at least I do not lose data (or games).
Sorry Noog. While you were posting I was writing. Yes. I'm an old GP4 user too. First with GP3 and then immediately with GP4. The turning point was the release of the 2003 Megapatch which gave rise to all this. Unfortunately, only recently I have started making substantial changes and, despite all these years, there is always a lot to learn (you can also see it from the last discussion on Magic Data). GP4 is always exciting. Even when he makes a tantrum.
mortal Schreef:
> Why the F would anyone use Norton? It's a known
> bloatware and resource hog. Use UBlock Origin and
> Privacy Badger on your browser. CCleaner once a
> week to clean the registry and dump tracking
> cookies and the cache. Malwarebytes once a week
> for malware/spyware etc. That's all I've ever
> needed to keep my computers clean. If Norton can't
> even properly whitelist gp4.exe what does that
> tell you?

+1

And only visit trusted pr0n sites.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
I can research if I can add a quicksave or even an autosave option to GPxPatch. A GP4 crash shouldn't be a problem then, you can just continue from the latest save.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
SDI Wrote:
> I can research if I can add a quicksave or even an
> autosave option to GPxPatch. A GP4 crash shouldn't
> be a problem then, you can just continue from the
> latest save.

That would be amazing!
It would be just great!
Paulo
SDI schrieb:
> latest save.

YES! PLEASE! Autosave on every lap for GPxPatch 4.46! This is the best idea someone had on GPG in 2018! SDI, great work again! (H) (I) How long will it take for you to make that? (Y) ;-)
No I have saved the problem with Norton! After doing changes with TeamEditor, for some reason Norton changes the status of GP4.exe again, but when I put exclude from scans again GP4 works again, with the right positions. I just was too silly to see this solution yesterday, and I just forgot that TeamEditor is dependent on the GP4.exe, once that file disappears, TeamEditor is dropping back to default values.

I think a little Christmas wonder has happened to me today. One error was solved by myself and the other one will be saved soon by Rene, the great master. I thank you all for your support, best wishes from Germany, you are the best guys! :-) (Y)
SDI Wrote:
> latest save.

:-O:-O:-O

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
I almost managed to get a quick and dirty quicksave to work. Problem is that the code is dependent on being called inside the menu's. So I have to temporarily patch the bits where it tries to show the save game dialog, the message to overwrite the file, and the message that it has been saved, and any error messages it may try to show (this would crash the game). It produces the right file now, but it still crashes when trying to exit the cockpit afterwards.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
TGF1Driver2, dont need to panik or disappointing... About your health, I know what you mean, for instances, Iam handicapped. I have difficulty to move my arms and hands, but what learn in this long years is to never give up. There are bad days, but there much good days.

Uninstall Norton stuff. Its crap since 1997 :)
About the gp.exe crash: It happens very often. I use to save the game every 10laps, depends on the circuit. The bad of it, it takes the flow and the concentration of the race. SDI it is a good idea the auto savegame.

Its happen sometimes after you save the game, it crashes. And the saved file its corrupt.

Good willing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy