Test question (solved)

Posted by petrus 
Test question (solved)
Date: December 09, 2018 05:15PM
Posted by: petrus
Test question

This is just for fun:
Please suggest from which file (and which section of the file) the country names were taken in the championship season's results display.

The solution will be given by the end of this week if until then nobody found it.

petrus' gpaedia files

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 12:53PM by petrus.
Re: Test question
Date: December 09, 2018 06:05PM
Posted by: BobT
It's very good, updated graphically.

It would be very useful if everyone could edit the 17 circuits that he chooses to run.

Congratulations, very good job.

Greetings.
Date: December 09, 2018 06:33PM
BobT: It's very good, updated graphically.
Sorry, you misunderstood the image. The red lines are painted afterwards under the country names just to emphasize them.

petrus' gpaedia files

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 03:11PM by petrus.
Date: December 09, 2018 08:44PM
Posted by: auscain
Original: Grand Prix 4\f1gstate.bak

GP4 GPaediaMaker Guide
for version 1.55, december 2018
Page 55 -
GPaedia and menu displays

In a mod these names are controlled by the performance file(s)
data\performance file
Date: December 09, 2018 09:29PM
Posted by: n00binio
Iirc the names are stored in this file ...\Infogrames\Grand Prix 4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\GP2001_<your language>.gps

just open it with the text editor of your choice. Alternatively the name can also be added to the .dat file of the track via cmagic4. This will override the menu texts as well far as I know.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: December 10, 2018 10:34AM
@auscain
Original: Grand Prix 4\f1gstate.bak
GP4 GPaediaMaker Guide for version 1.55, december 2018 Page 55 - GPaedia and menu displays
In a mod these names are controlled by the performance file(s) data\performance file
Looking into the GPaediaMaker Guides chapter "GPaedia and menu displays" is very clever.
But you misunderstood something there. The *1) remark at the end is only valid for rows with the *1) in column *, i.e. the driver select displays :
display                   | category value          | *   | gpi               |
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----+-------------------+
driver select             | f1gstate driver\team    | *1) | driver, team logo |
quicklap driver select    | f1gstate driver, team   | *1) |                   |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
*1) taken from file "f1gstate.bak“; in a mod controlled by performance file(s)|
Performance files are for teams and drivers only and have nothing to do with a tracks country.
So this is not the right answer. I would give you 6 out of 10 points for it :)

@n00binio
Iirc the names are stored in this file ...\Infogrames\Grand Prix4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\GP2001_.gps
just open it with the text editor of your choice. 
Alternatively the name can also be added to the .dat file of the track via cmagic4. This will override the menu texts as well far as I know.
This is a reasonable guess.
You mean that the country names are the same as those displayed in the circuit select menu?
These may indeed be overridden by GP4Info data or specification values of a track settings file. Check it using a CSM/TSM mod. For example changing the "Country" of the Melbourne circuit to "_Australia" in the tracks settings.ini file will produce an entry "melbourne / _australia" in the circuit select display. Race at Melbourne in championship mode (use accelerated time), then look into the "season's results": the country name is not changed there!
So this is not a completely correct answer either. I would give 6 of 10 points again :)

petrus' gpaedia files

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 10:47AM by petrus.
Date: December 11, 2018 01:14AM
I must say, I did enjoy the Sunday evening quick test,
and I will take the six points although they were hardly deserved as all I did was a quick search of the pertinent material.
The concept (test) is really good and it did inspire me to look further into your ''gpaedia files''. You have inspired me to to dig a little deeper using your tools.
Previously, I have only done custom.ini .
Date: December 15, 2018 04:34PM
Just for fun:

Infogrames\Grand Prix 4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\GP2001_English.gps

592 NAK<LINK>auscain<\LINK> NAK
Date: December 16, 2018 02:41AM
Posted by: n00binio
Aha, I should get an additional point now. The file I suggested appears to be the correct one. ;)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: December 16, 2018 12:51PM
@auscain:
Infogrames\Grand Prix 4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\GP2001_English.gps

592 NAK<LINK>auscain<\LINK> NAK
Congratulation, you found the correct solution and get 10 of 10 points :)

@n00binio:
Aha, I should get an additional point now. The file I suggested appears to be the correct one.
Yes, you guessed the file correctly.

It took me a bit longer to find this out:
While developing GPaediaMaker I did not consider the ingame racing menus until in this thread at gp4forever Josekast asked me how to change the circuit name in the menu "race".
Because the grand prix name and the grand prix location (e.g. "Australian Grand Prix" and "Albert Park" ) where taken from the menu file of the ldata folder (e.g. english.str),
I was pretty sure that the country name in the championship season's results menu was also taken from it. But I was wrong.
A couple of years later I tested the effect of changing a tracks name and country in the gpaedia csv file and discovered that it had an impact on the championship season's results. It was a big AHA to see that the gpaedia gps file was responsible for the country names here. Because GPaediaMaker writes the country names into the gps files track/country list as well as into the linkdata, I was not yet aware of the difference here.
In November 2018 I did some testing to see how programs like GPxPatch and/or TSM change the content of gps or str files. I compared the original created files with the files actually used by GP4 when the program was running. Here it became clear that the country value in the championship season's results menu could not come from the track/country list that was always affected by TSM and/or GPxPatch changes. It then was easy for me to conclude that it must be the linkdata value instead and I veryfied this by doing the test mentioned above.

petrus' gpaedia files
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy