File "cars" too heavy

Posted by mralpha 
File "cars" too heavy
Date: October 17, 2018 07:21PM
Posted by: mralpha
Hi guys. For a few years the cars file has reached 1 GB (sometimes it exceeds it). Playing alone is not a problem, but for people like me playing in LAN this often determines the crash of GP4 (considering that the LAN network with cable "cross" travels at 1 Gb/s and each file "cars" weighs 1 Gb plus some Mb of the track etc. and the exchange of data is reciprocal, problems are normal). It is estimated that to play in LAN a 300 Mb "cars" file is already too heavy. For this I use a "cars" file of MOD 2011 that weighs about 290 Mb and, for now, everything works very well (we can finish the race).
I would like to use one of the "cars" of recent years, but it would be necessary to lighten car_lod 1,2,3 and 4 for each car. Is there anyone who can explain how it's done? I remember they were trying, but I have no news.
Thanks a lot.

Fabio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 07:22PM by mralpha.
Re: File "cars" too heavy
Date: October 17, 2018 07:33PM
Posted by: rracunis
Too much complicated to reduce the lods , doesn't worth it . To reduce the size of the cars file you have to reduce the size of the tex files instead of the lod files . If you have CSM , open the slimtex , drag the files into the slimtex and reduce the files 1/2 or 1/4
Date: October 17, 2018 08:26PM
You are definitely right. Unfortunately, however, I tried to reduce the tex files by 1/2, but it was not enough. I did it with TexResizer. Maybe I try with Slimtex. In the first files cars "lod" were decreasing in weight from 0 to 4. As it should be. With a lightweight file cars, the loading of the race is much faster. However I try again.
Date: October 18, 2018 05:14PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
Check if the lods from 1 to 4 are copies of the lod 0. In that case if you use CSM you can delete them and set the CSM to use only the "lod 0". This can lower the weight of the wad a lot.
Another thing you can do is see what textures each car carries. So that there are no textures in the wad that are not used.
Many times when you open a wad you find files that are not used (including I have found Photoshop files ...).

You can check the wheel lods, and tire textures that you do not use.

If the mod is for CSM, it is easier to check if there is something that is not used.

With Slimtex from ZAZ Tools you can lower the size of the textures by dragging them.

If you want, pass me the wad and I can see it.

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: October 18, 2018 08:39PM
Thank you. This is very interesting. Unfortunately I do not like GP4 CSM, maybe because I was learning to use it many years ago and I lost it and now I do not know how to use it. I could try with the latest MOD Kedy release. I always clean the wad from unneeded files (more or less), however I welcome your offer and as soon as possible I'll pass you a wad 2017 or 2016. You're very kind. Thanks again.

Fabio
Date: October 18, 2018 09:32PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
CSM / TSM is very simple to use. You have everything separated by folders and it is the easiest way to make mods. If you try to use it, ask what you need.

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: October 22, 2018 07:18PM
Sorry Ariel. I unpacked the "wad", I launched Slimtex, I selected the "cars" folder, but then I could not continue. I went to "Batch to tex" but did not read anything. Anyway, as soon as possible I send you the wad. Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy