Major Windows 10 problem

Posted by AxelCodino 
Major Windows 10 problem
Date: July 11, 2018 07:13PM
Posted by: AxelCodino
Hi guys, I have a major problem with GP4 in relation to windows 10. I bought a new computer and I want to install GP4 but for some reason it doesn't work as it should be.

Once i finished the installation of de GP4 disc, and I want to play the game from the disc the game won't start. Then, if I want to install the patch I get the following error: Error extracting support files: catastrophic failure
I can't even remove the game without using some help of Revo Uninstaller. If i want to remove the game I get the same error message.

Am I the only one who's facing so many problems with GP4 and Windows 10? Even a new clean install of windows won't help. I've tried everything I could : install the game not on the SDD but the HDD ( doenst't work).

Can anybody help me?
Re: Major Windows 10 problem
Date: July 12, 2018 09:45AM
Posted by: munnzy
look here first for all your issue's
[www.grandprixgames.org]
regards
Date: July 13, 2018 11:23PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
For me, I never installed the game on a Win7/Win10 PCs. I installed it on a older computer with an older OS, like XP or Vista.
Started the game once, drove one quickrace and then copied the hole Grand Prix 4 folder to the new computer and it has always worked :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: July 15, 2018 08:56AM
Posted by: ooleeeo
I have a problem with csm in windows 10, it does not update the wad files when I try to play any mods. Any suggestions?

Kimi forever!
Date: July 16, 2018 02:53AM
Posted by: phantaman
write permission in folder :-)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: July 17, 2018 10:20AM
Posted by: AxelCodino
Oh btw somehow I've fixed it, so this thread can be closed.
Date: November 18, 2018 05:45PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
AxelCodino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh btw somehow I've fixed it, so this thread can
> be closed.

How did you fix it? I am having the same issue trying to install the patch.
Date: November 18, 2018 09:30PM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
Just try two or three another times. If you mean the 9.6 patch it sometimes can be that it works for some reason not for the first time. I think I remember having a similar problem some time ago. But it's just a guess. Good luck in solving that problem.
Date: November 19, 2018 08:17AM
TGF1Driver2 Wrote:
> Just try two or three another times. If you mean
> the 9.6 patch it sometimes can be that it works
> for some reason not for the first time. I think I
> remember having a similar problem some time ago.
> But it's just a guess. Good luck in solving that
> problem.

I've tried at least 50 times now, without antivirus, safemode etc., but I think I have narrowed it down to InstallShield being broken in the latest Windows 10 version. The Program Files/InstallShield Information folder is empty, which it shouldn't be, so something went wrong there, but I can't find a way to actually repair it - I may just copy it from a PC where it is working and hope it works.

The odd thing is, last night I tried to uninstall the base game that was still on there without the patch, and it gave me another error, and then I tried to re-run the game installer, which also gave me the Catastrophic Failure error.

Also, the previous time I installed the game, it worked fine, it was just when I tried to install the patch that it gave me the error.

Really weird one, this.
Date: November 19, 2018 10:16AM
Posted by: tamburello
Hi,

This problem is coming with newer releases of Windows 10 because MS removed the Safedisc Copy Protection driver from the OS which is needed to install the patch.

I manged to solve this issue by installing a Windows XP VM on my laptop and installing the game and patch. I then copied all files that were changed through the patch and put them into a zip file which I uploaded here: [www.mediafire.com]

Just unzip the file into your Grand Prix 4 directoy and replace all files, and you have patch 1.02.

Greetings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 10:19AM by tamburello.
Date: January 23, 2019 09:58AM
tamburello Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This problem is coming with newer releases of
> Windows 10 because MS removed the Safedisc Copy
> Protection driver from the OS which is needed to
> install the patch.
>
> I manged to solve this issue by installing a
> Windows XP VM on my laptop and installing the game
> and patch. I then copied all files that were
> changed through the patch and put them into a zip
> file which I uploaded here:
> [www.mediafire.com]
> h_9.6.zip/file
>
> Just unzip the file into your Grand Prix 4
> directoy and replace all files, and you have patch
> 1.02.
>
> Greetings

Turns out my Windows 10 was actually fine. I tried again last night, and actually found some registry remnants for Grand Prix 4 which made it look like it was still installed, and the folder was still there with some of the files, so it looks like it got corrupted when I uninstalled it for a clean install, because when trying to run the full game installer, it still gave me the same error.

I used RevoUninstaller and removed all of the registry entries, and also deleted all files related to InstallShield in c:\Program Files(x86) and c:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files. After that, the installation ran fine.

Hope this helps somebody.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy