Gear ratios

Posted by RHill 
Gear ratios
Date: June 03, 2018 03:09PM
Posted by: RHill
Hi all,

I’m trying to set my magic data gear ratios for several tracks in GP4. Does anyone have any tips for a quick way to set gear ratios or a methodology to find the right ‘ball park’ quickly so you top out at the end of the longest straight?
Re: Gear ratios
Date: June 04, 2018 12:00AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
I think you'll have to try it for every single track, one by one.

I really have no pleasure to do so, so for my races I always set the gear ratios on every track to 26, 32, 40, 49, 59 and 69. I don't care if the cars are far away from the rev limiter at the end of the straights. So, for me this method works very well and it is the quickest method known to me. Nevertheless, if you really want the cars to run into the rev limiter, you'll have to try it on your own.
Re: Gear ratios
Date: September 27, 2018 11:10PM
Posted by: TheFueleffect
The default gear ratios are usually quit good. Otherwise, first get the final gear right and then adjust the other gears in such way that the ratios increase roughly exponentially. By the way, in those days most teams were running a slightly "tall" final gear, presumably to reduce the strain on the engine or because the engine produced more power at slightly lower revs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy