GPxPatch testing: "Old behaviour", "Power only", "Grip only" and "Power and grip"

Posted by klausfeldmann 
Hello to all,

due to the fact, that I still did not get the sense and the effect of the GPxPatch's settings "Old behaviour", "Power only", "Grip only" and "Power and grip" (GPxPatch's documentation is very, very short in this point), I made some tests to check these settings out.

What we are talking about:

Subject of testing:
I checked out how the player's car and ccCar's peformance is influenced by the performance file (horsepower value and grip value) and track's cmagic file (power factor and grip factor) under the 4 different GPxPatch settings mentioned above.

Method:
It was driven at Piranema. Measurements were topspeed, corner speed and laptime. All ccCars had the same power and grip. Randomness has been deleted as far as possible. Conditions were sunny.

GPxPatch version:
v4.43 (latest version is: 4.44!). For v4.44 this is written into the changelog: "GPxSet: Excluded magic data from "Player car performance team dependent" option. This means magic data will never affect the player's car.". Nevertheless in the new GPxPatch version 4.44 this opton still seems to be buggy as well, so some players switched back to v4.43, due to tweaking ccCar's performance vs. Player's car performance can be difficult or even impossible in v4.44.

Here are the results of the test:

"Old behaviour":
Player's car is influenced by horsepower value and power factor.
Player's car is not influenced by grip value and grip factor.
CC's car is influenced by horsepower value, grip value, power factor and grip factor.
CC's car is not influenced by %.

"Power only":
Player's car is influenced by horsepower value and power factor.
Player's car is not influenced by grip value and grip factor.
CC's car is influenced by horsepower value, grip value, power factor and grip factor.

"Grip only":
Player's car is influenced by horsepower value, grip value, power factor and grip factor. Remark: The horsepower value is NOT taken from the performance file. It is taken from the physics file instead! Also the topspeed seems to be calculated in a different way, that I do not understand (higher topspeed!).
Player's car is not influenced by %.

"Power and Grip":
Player's car is influenced by horsepower value, grip value, power factor and grip factor. Remark: Changes of power factor and grip factor seem to have a bigger effect for player's car than under "Grip only"-setting.
Player's car is not influenced by %.

Final results:
- All changes in the performance file and/or cmagic have the same influence on ccCars equal to what the GPxPatch's settings are. The settings have got just influence on the player's car.
- In "Old behaviour" and "Power only" only engine values (Horsepower value and power factor) are used for player's performance.
- Under "Grip only" and "Power and grip"-settings also grip value and grip factor are taken into the calculaton of players performance.
- "Old behaviour" and "Power only"-settings seem to be one and the same.
- "Grip only" and "Power and grip"-setting seem to differ a in some way.

The full results and all recorded data can be seen and downloaded HERE!

Further questions and consequences:
Probably there are just two options:

1. Players for who it is not that important that the performance file's grip value is also taken into player's grip calculation can use "Old behaviour" or "Power only"-settings. It's quite easy to tweak AI's performance via cmagic file ('power factor' and 'grip factor';).

2. For players for who it is important that the performance file's grip value is also taken into player's grip calculation I recommend to use "Power and grip"-setting. But sadly tweaking the AI's performance will be very, very difficult, because there is no way to make ccCars slower/faster via magic data due to it influences the player's car as well.

So the final question is:
"Is there another method known to tweak AI's perfomance vs. player's performance by not using cmagic's 'power factor' and/or 'grip factor'?"

Further testing with GPxPatch version 4.44 is needed!
No point testing old versions in my view, they are history. I use the latest v4.44 and have no issues with it.

Try my Magic Data files at GP4 Central. I spend a lot (too much!) time calibrating them for a good experience. You'll like them, trust me :)

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
TomMK schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No point testing old versions in my view, they are
> history. I use the latest v4.44 and have no issues
> with it.
>
> Try my Magic Data files at GP4 Central. I spend a
> lot (too much!) time calibrating them for a good
> experience. You'll like them, trust me :)

Before you are talking something stupid, have a look at your website:

Get this straight!

BTW:
I know a lot player having issues with v4.44. So, to get behind these issues, I don't think there is no point to test the latest working version before testing the current one. As well, I bet your magic data wouldn't solve anything at all, because if you would switch your brain on, you would be able to imagine how many time I already spend on magic data before doing this very time-demanding test above, right?

Get your site straight and I will check out your magic data, but don't expect too much from it!
I'm also switched back to Version 4.43 because I tweaked the AI Performances and Speeds via the magic data file. I really hope Version 4.45 will have the option of an "ancient behavior" that works like V 4.43 with old behavior.
Honestly? Most are struggling because they do not run in ace mode and do not produce proper setups for each track.

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
I agree. With a proper setup, the difference in lap times is brutal. As my friend phantaman, I run in ace mode, working on my setups from track to track, like in real life...

phantaman Wrote:
> Honestly? Most are struggling because they do not
> run in ace mode and do not produce proper setups
> for each track.
I've been tweaking the data between the performance, physics & gp4 builder magic data, if you juggle all three
you can come up with some nice results, & I have a nice release coming soon(I)

Latest Themes / Mods > [www.mediafire.com]
You Tube Video's [www.youtube.com]
________________________________________±
Fair cop, the GP4 Central site is a mess at the moment due to a, let's say, difficult relationship with the hosting provider, and other priorities. I should have checked the site before suggesting that. I'll put the MD back online shortly.

And to answer your question, yes I think there is another value in the Magic Data that causes a change in the Player / AI relationship; try messing with; desc46= "ride height" (lower value = higher top speed, but also notice what happens to Player grip vs the AI when you change this one).

No need to be rude though. This is an interesting subject and one I like discussing, so let's keep it civil, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 12:04PM by TomMK.
I'm bascially trying to simulate real top speeds for both AI and Player and found the best way to tweak them is via the MD file. That's why I would hope for an mode in GPxPatch that brings the behavior of V 443
The best way is via the Magic Data, for sure. Have a look at these values, they can be used to control the top speed of all cars, as well as the variance between Player & AI:

; desc42= Track grip << Obvious. Affects both Player & AI.

; desc46= Drag & Player-only downforce << A function of air density; affects top speed & acceleration & PLAYER ONLY downforce (lower value = higher top speed)

; desc47= Power output << A function of air density - affects acceleration and eventual top speed (affects Human & AI equally) (no effect on grip)

Thanks Klaus for the classy, as usual, research and to you, Tom, for MD explanation.

> Come on folks! As the GP4 add-ons offered on here
> are free, why get ugly with the comments. GPxPatch
> is great overall and and I appreciate the on-going
> development on it.

(Y)
love gpx patch and all it does for us. if it's not to your liking make one yourself or as i do appreciate the work of others. nuff said (Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy