Problem with GP4 Builder 2017

Posted by jucksman 
Problem with GP4 Builder 2017
Date: August 14, 2017 10:54PM
Posted by: jucksman
Hello Guys

A new problem surfaced: Whenever I edit any track in Gp4 Builder, it starts crashing to desktop when I try to load it inside the game.

The strangest thing is that last month I´ve made extensive changes to the Red Bull Ring, updating it to 2017, without any issues. The track works absolutely fine ingame.
Now, since last week, whatever I change in any given track is enough to make it start CTD while loading...Even if I change a track advert for another, for example, it´s enough to make it CTD.

I dont know what could be causing this...can it be a bug within GP4 Builder?
Re: Problem with GP4 Builder 2017
Date: August 15, 2017 12:30AM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
Do you have a GPxPatch error log of the crash? That might be useful.
Date: August 15, 2017 12:35AM
Posted by: quickslick
maybe you only have to delete the files in the backup folder of gp4 builder 2017
Date: August 15, 2017 07:56AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Try to use older gp4builder, I and Hega had a similar problems with newest gp4builder.
Date: August 15, 2017 11:57AM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Yep, it's a bug in GP4 Builder which I addressed some months ago to Laurent.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: August 15, 2017 12:02PM
Thanks, Guys!

Is there any way Around the bug, or Is reverting back to an older Version the only solution?

Could this also be the reason for the troubles Im having in zmodeler with the cars exported to .3ds from zmodeler?
Date: August 15, 2017 02:11PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hello everyone, Hello Turbo Lover,

Yep, I'm still coming on GPGames once a day. I saw this post like I saw your first post about it Turbo Lover.
I'm sad to hear you get some issues with latest GP4Builder because it's not my kind to leave half working tools.
With only one report, it could be anything, but if it happens more and more often (twice now), it's very annoying.
Sadly I'm really too far from GP4 now to do anything.
It's maybe one year now that I haven't played GP4 and I would not know where to start to look at to debug this error.
In the old times, I was using the tool everyday, so I could quickly notice troubles but I can't take hours and hours to search for a bug anymore in a code I haven't worked on for months.
The main problem is the time needed to narrow the bug. Because just noticing a track isn't working suddenly doesn't help.
Either it needs before and after tracks, or indications on what you did during your last session to investigate specific features...
If someone can narrow this issue, fixing it would be at least easier, but it would still be a hard task now that I stopped GP4 activities.
I hope that at least most of the modders don't have this bug and could still make their mods, even if I see less and less new releases.
That's eventualy life :)

I hope everyone the best and still a good time playing GP4, as it has always been.

Lo2k

Date: August 15, 2017 08:08PM
Hi Laurent, thank you for your message.

About that bug in GP4 Builder 2017; if you open an original gp4 file and you delete a random object and save the gp4 file it will already crash the game. When you open the saved gp4 file with GP4 Builder 2015 it gives an error message. It looks like the gp4 file is corrupted.

Hope this is enough information.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: August 15, 2017 08:40PM
Exactly the same issue I´m having.

Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Laurent, thank you for your message.
>
> About that bug in GP4 Builder 2017; if you open an
> original gp4 file and you delete a random object
> and save the gp4 file it will already crash the
> game. When you open the saved gp4 file with GP4
> Builder 2015 it gives an error message. It looks
> like the gp4 file is corrupted.
>
> Hope this is enough information.
Date: August 16, 2017 12:53AM
Posted by: Lo2k
i did so many tests, I added so many features to this version and I discover that a single object deletion is corrupting the .gp4 file (what almost never happened in none of the GP4Builder versions in almost 10 years).
I feel very sad...

Date: August 16, 2017 08:25AM
Even the best are making mistakes. ;-)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: August 16, 2017 10:13AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Turbo Lover schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even the best are making mistakes. ;-)

+1
Exactly that's it!. Never mind, Laurent!
Date: August 16, 2017 11:57AM
The GP4 modding community wouldnt exist without your tools, Laurent. So dont worry abou it. ;-)
Date: August 19, 2017 05:40PM
Posted by: auscain
I am still using the GP4Builder 2017 weekly.

I was very curious and tried to do reproduce what you guys are explaining. I just cannot get it to crash or corrupt the Save or Saved as .gp4 file.
Date: August 19, 2017 06:01PM
Posted by: gezere
Laurent,
just for your information, I use the 2017 version to do Mexico 2016 (not yet released) and never got any problem.... I am pretty sure I deleted several times
some objects since the start of this new track.

The single time I got a corrupted .GP4 is when I tried to insert a scene with several objects, created with the following process:
- I created a new scene in the original "silverstone" track of GP4,
- moved all the objects I wanted to keep in this new scene
- deleted all the others scenes
- Saved the GP4 file.

There were No issue reported by the Builder but the game crashed every time.
There were 6 objects in the new scene and I tried to delete each object one by one to find what was the problem without any success.
Finally I found that all the new objects have a strange "parent" value (see below) which can't be edited. A valid "parent" value is "-1".

Hope it helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 06:12PM by gezere.
Date: August 19, 2017 08:37PM
To me, the game crashed every time I deleted any object in any scene.
Lately, even if I dont delete anything, the game still crashes. Back to gp4 builder 2015...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy