How to force a laptop graphic card in GP4? (dedicated and on-board GPU's)

Posted by jucksman 
Guys,

I´ve installed GP4 in my new notebook, but I can only play using the weaker onboard graphics card (Intel 5500) instead of the much more powerful dedicated card (Nvidia Geforce 940mx) present in the system, so the game is running slow in some HD mods...

I selected GP4 in the Nvidia control panel to make it use the Geforce, but when I load the game the Intel 5500 is still the only graphics card showing in the graphics settings window...

How can I ´force´ GP4 to use the more powerful graphics card?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 10:32PM by mortal.
Re: How to chose between Graphic Cards in GP4?
Date: April 27, 2017 10:02PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
I've had the same issue with my old laptop, and still have with this one. My "bad" card can run GP4 quite well with high graphics, but the PO can get over 100 every now and then.
If there is a fix for this I would also like to know :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Re: How to chose between Graphic Cards in GP4?
Date: April 27, 2017 10:30PM
Posted by: mortal
There are a few ways to try to do this.

Option 1. Open Device Manager, disable the card.
Option2. Open the BIOS. Disable the card.
Option 3. Nvidia Control Panel settings. <-----You have probably already been through this one.
Option 4. Plug the monitor output into the GPU. ie: HDMI output to TV etc. Technically, it should force the use of the GPU.

Theoretically it is a power saving option, in reality it is a bad idea, creating problems for older games that cannot detect a dual card system.

Somewhere within GP4 afaik is a notepad file that shows the graphics card in use. Search the dir using the following terms; graphics, cards, HD, Intel5500 etc. and edit the text to show the other option you wish to force. <-------I could be wrong on this one, my memory is not so good anymore.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
@Mortal: Your memory is indeed correct. the config file is labelled gconfig.txt in the GP4 root folder
You can replace the card name (that might be Intel 5500 something) with the exact name of your graphical card but I don't know if it is "NVIDIA GeForce 940MX" or "NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX" or anything else and if it will work so easily.

For information, mine (having also a Geforce card) is as follow :

;gp4 generated file - do not edit

[NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970] good 128
[] untested 128

If this proves to work I'll pin it to the FAQ. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Great, Guys!

I'll try lo2k solution and post the results here.
It didn´t work...now the game keeps asking for the DVD and I can´t get into the game...
Replace the exe with a fresh no_cd exe. Have you tested the disabling options? Don't restore the graphics card txt until all other options have been tested. Disabling the on-board card in the BIOS is possibly the only option that might work. If the laptop bypasses it on start-up it will in theory be the Nvidia card that would be the only one available. If the in-game graphics txt file shows it as it is listed in the BIOS then it should work. If not it appears there is no viable solution. You would think that there would be an option in the Nvidia control panel to set the gp4 exe to use the card. Something like a game profiler I guess.
Try this:

Right Click on Desktop
Select nVidia Control Panel
In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
In right panel select Global Tab
Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

Now try again and see if it properly selects correct GPU. If not

In right panel select "Program Settings" tab
Under section 1., check the box for "only programs on this computer"
then hit the "Add" button and find the program that you want to run on nVidia card
Go down to section 2. and select nVidia processor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 03:00AM by mortal.
I would try Option 4 (plug a screen in your card output) and obviously put GP4 on that screen so it'll take that card. Didn't test it but it worth a try.

The solution submitted by Mortal seemed to work here for a GP4 user on his laptop with integrated graphics and a Nvidia card (second solution ). But you have to add both programs gp4.exe and also GPxpatch.exe
[www.grandprixgames.org] (see JohnMaverick post and link)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 12:52PM by Excalibur.
Isn´t it dangerous for the notebook, to disable the Intel card in the bios? I´m afraid to harm the system or battery usage...
harm the system, no.
increase battery use, eventualy. Not even sure as nvidia card has more power and should consume less for the same amount of work as the intel. Just test and you will see.

I had the same problem with my Dell laptop with an Intel/AMD Radeon GPU's. The solution which Arnaud posted does work.

Glenn (Cdn)
I´m really concerned about battery usage...I use my laptop for work and I can´t risk compromising the system.

The weird thing is that I had installed Gp4 and CSM without any issues. I tested some mods (the 2015 DTM mod, GP4 Central´s 2016 Mod) and they worked fine, with full graphics, 60fps e PO peaking at 60%. The problems started after I installed Phantaman´s 2016 mod - His mod was very slow in my GP4 (8fps and PO of over 200%), and all previous mods became slow, causing high PO.

Could there be any extra reasons for this poor performance that I´m failing to see?
from what you just described and looking at phantaman's included files, most probably :

"– Files : Cars.wad, anim.wad, Gp4.exe (tweaked), f1graphics.cfg, gpxdata, team art, pitcrew & engine, physics, performances, magicdatas & etc."

the f1graphics.cfg file only would be a could cause of this, but any of these files could contain slowing down elements...

you can make a backup of your f1graphics.cfg and f1graphics.BAK, delete them and run the game without them to be sure the game regenerate them... and see if you get any better perfs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 08:29PM by Lo2k.
Hi,

Just for general clarification, the mod I've compiled since version 0.6 (released on: 06/25/2016 9:30 AM) DOES NOT INCLUDE:

- Files: Cars.wad, anim.wad, Gp4.exe (tweaked), f1graphics.cfg, and so on.

The changelog in this release describes the following:

Changelog

0.6 - Several minor updates in order to decrease random crashes
0.6 - Included updated RSCT cars (Williams FW38B & Mercedes F1W07)
0.6 - Added compatibility w / engine torque curve exported from GP4 Torque Editor (GPxPatch v4.44)
0.6 - Removed support for gp4.exe swap code included in this MoD (Swap.ini & GlobalVars.ini)
0.5 - New Physics Model
0.5 - Updated all performances to the Canadian Grand Prix
0.1 - Internal Development

It was even recommended to those who had downloaded previous versions that migrated to this revised version. Is there in the GP4Forever in this post:

[gp4forever.com]

What more can I say ... Well, this MoD has a unique simplicity and contains nothing different than the others mentioned above do not have. His differential is to offer:

- High textures (2048x2048 pixels) and,

- Standard textures (1024x1024 pixels).

I believe that nowadays, a good part of notebooks and desktops can perform to the satisfaction of this MoD that was tested in a samsung notebook model RV511, of following configuration:

Intel I3 M380 (quad core)
6GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics (1366x768 60Hz - 64MB dedicated).
HDD WD 320GB

So realize that it is not a state of the art equipment. It is still possible to get 22fps with it using standard textures (PO around 100/110%) under Windows 10 Home v1607 64bits.

This MoD was also tested on a slightly more advanced desktop with the following configuration:

AMD FX 8350
16GB RAM
XfX R9 280 3GB RAM GDDR5
HDD 1GB Seagate (two)
32GB SSD (for cache only)

In the equipment described above, it is possible to perform everything at maximum allowed by the hardware (PO in less than 10%) under Windows 10 Pro Creators Update 64bits ... according to screens posted here in the corresponding topic.

So I do not see fundamentals, I mean I do not see any hypothesis that this MoD can be. Certainly, it is the hardware (notebook and / or desktop) or some abnormality in the operating system, for example I quote as an action to be done:

Antivirus - create an exception so that the folder where the GP4 is installed is not verified... Antivirus free (AVAST, for example ...) usually blocks GP4 when it runs.

And that's it for now, in what I can help I'm there in GP4Forever or here sporadically. (Y) ;-)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
I understand, Celso.

My system should be running GP4 easily and I don´t know why it became so slow....I have used your previous mods in my old notebook with great success, so I´m really baffled by this problem.

I´ll keep trying to find a solution...

phantaman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Just for general clarification, the mod I've
> compiled since version 0.6 (released on:
> 06/25/2016 9:30 AM) DOES NOT INCLUDE:
>
> - Files: Cars.wad, anim.wad, Gp4.exe (tweaked),
> f1graphics.cfg, and so on.
>
> The changelog in this release describes the
> following:
>
>
> Changelog
> *************
>
> 0.6 - Several minor updates in order to decrease
> random crashes
> 0.6 - Included updated RSCT cars (Williams FW38B &
> Mercedes F1W07)
> 0.6 - Added compatibility w / engine torque curve
> exported from GP4 Torque Editor (GPxPatch v4.44)
> 0.6 - Removed support for gp4.exe swap code
> included in this MoD (Swap.ini & GlobalVars.ini)
> 0.5 - New Physics Model
> 0.5 - Updated all performances to the Canadian
> Grand Prix
> 0.1 - Internal Development
>
>
> It was even recommended to those who had
> downloaded previous versions that migrated to this
> revised version. Is there in the GP4Forever in
> this post:
>
> [gp4forever.com]
> -csm-compilation.2382/page-5#post-26825
>
> What more can I say ... Well, this MoD has a
> unique simplicity and contains nothing different
> than the others mentioned above do not have. His
> differential is to offer:
>
> - High textures (2048x2048 pixels) and,
>
> - Standard textures (1024x1024 pixels).
>
> I believe that nowadays, a good part of notebooks
> and desktops can perform to the satisfaction of
> this MoD that was tested in a samsung notebook
> model RV511, of following configuration:
>
>
> Intel I3 M380 (quad core)
> 6GB RAM
> Intel HD Graphics (1366x768 60Hz - 64MB
> dedicated).
> HDD WD 320GB
>
>
> So realize that it is not a state of the art
> equipment. It is still possible to get 22fps with
> it using standard textures (PO around 100/110%)
> under Windows 10 Home v1607 64bits.
>
> This MoD was also tested on a slightly more
> advanced desktop with the following
> configuration:
>
>
> AMD FX 8350
> 16GB RAM
> XfX R9 280 3GB RAM GDDR5
> HDD 1GB Seagate (two)
> 32GB SSD (for cache only)
>
>
> In the equipment described above, it is possible
> to perform everything at maximum allowed by the
> hardware (PO in less than 10%) under Windows 10
> Pro Creators Update 64bits ... according to
> screens posted here in the corresponding topic.
>
> So I do not see fundamentals, I mean I do not see
> any hypothesis that this MoD can be. Certainly, it
> is the hardware (notebook and / or desktop) or
> some abnormality in the operating system, for
> example I quote as an action to be done:
>
> Antivirus - create an exception so that the folder
> where the GP4 is installed is not verified...
> Antivirus free (AVAST, for example ...) usually
> blocks GP4 when it runs.
>
> And that's it for now, in what I can help I'm
> there in GP4Forever or here sporadically. (Y) ;-)
Well, another recommendation to be taken seriously is not install tools like ZaZ GP4 Tools (CSM) and GPxPatch in the recommended folders (to be checked at the time of installation).

Why that? Because if installed in C: \ Program files (x86), windows itself will take care of interfering with their operations. This is a general knowledge since when windows vista business 64bits edition was released. System that required a lot of hardware to be used even if it was very good. Another action is also install GP4 into a folder in C: \ and become its owner with all permissions. Not only "just" create a folder and install ... permissions are required, follow example (also valid for folders):

[www.baboo.com.br]

Here is the example of imposing an exception against files and folders (if you have ms defender as an antivirus):

[support.microsoft.com]

MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
How to set a default graphics card

[www.pcadvisor.co.uk]

Or in other sources:

[www.google.com.br]

I tried to disable the integrated card on my old laptop and when the PC then started up it was a mess with low resolution that could not be changed. So I enabled it again of course.
It's wierd that you just can't make the Nvidia card active while GP4 is running with control panel. Is it something with the game that don't make the Nvidia card notice it?

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy