Mclaren Mp4-18 model: was one ever released?

Posted by guiferrari 
Mclaren Mp4-18 model: was one ever released?
Date: March 24, 2017 08:23PM
Posted by: guiferrari
First of all, I apologise for basically making my first post here a request. But I reckon it might be, nevertheless, an interesting one.
My name is Guilherme and I hail from Portugal, and it was the original V-10 era of 96-05 that triggered my love for F1. So to remember the good old days I re-installed GP4 and F1C 99-02 a few weeks ago, and have been adding mods and tweaking the games ever since. There's nothing like first love, but in an effort of historical obsessiveness, I then realised that there were a series of unraced cars from that time. Some I found, like 99 Honda or the 01 Toyota, but the one that still eludes me is the beautiful failed experiment of Mr. Newey, the MP4-18.

Now, I usually like to find things on my own, but I confess to have looked through the whole internet - including threads dating from more than ten years ago in this and other forums - only to find nothing. There are plenty of discussions regarding unreleased cars with long dead screenshots, but still nothing. Usually I would have given up a long time ago, but I simply find it one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever made.
So forgive me of my ignorance, but I would like to ask if there was ever a model of the MP4-18 released for GP4, or while I'm at it, for F1C either? Or in the end, because the car never raced, the modders just opted against releasing the car?

Best wishes to you all :)
Re: Mclaren Mp4-18 model: was one ever released?
Date: March 24, 2017 10:01PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Yes there was mp4-18 released for gp4 (shape by wai keen lam and textures I think were done by Bojan Tarticchio). Enzojz also did textures for the car but CTDP car was never released for gp4, perhaps it was for F1C at least there were scrernshots from it.
Date: March 24, 2017 10:23PM
Posted by: gezere
I have the template (Bojan) and shape(wai keen lam) + textures for a fictional black "Arrow".... but not macca textures
I did my first personal textures for this car in 2003.... Not a good one LoL
However, if I remember well, the shape is very, very low poly... like the original cars were...
If you are interested I will be able to upload it.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:32PM
Posted by: vesuvius
I have the textures for the car, I also have Enzojz's mp4-18 textures somewhere (sadly no shape for them)
Date: March 24, 2017 11:16PM
Wow, thank you guys for the quick replies! Suffice it to say that I would be more than grateful if you could upload whatever you have available, regardless of the quality; then I could work my way up from there.

I did contact the CTDP team through their website, but either they're very busy or the site is abandoned - in any case mine is quite an arcane request. I believe their original goal back in time was to release the MP4-18 as an add-on for their '2003 High Quality' F1C mod, so they must have had an almost ready, in game car. Still, I don't know if it got released at all.

As a side note and a thank-you, here's Alex Wurz's recollections of testing the car :)

[www.mclaren.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 11:21PM by guiferrari.
Date: March 25, 2017 02:45PM
Posted by: quickslick
i have two mclaren mp4-18 for you. One from Guyon and Bojan and another one from Sonic

[www.mediafire.com]

oh and btw Ralph Hummerich made the MP-18 for F1C aswell. The car is included in his season 2003 mod for F1C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 02:57PM by quickslick.
Date: March 25, 2017 03:25PM
Cheers man, thank you for putting both the effort and the time to dig these files up! I hope it did not take you too long. Suffice it to say that you have made my day! :)

Negative in regards of Ralph Hummerich's mod, though. In their 2003 mod for F1C they named the Mclaren team folder as 'MP4-18', but in game it's actually the MP4-17 that ran in 2003. I took a look at the .mas files and could only find the MP4-17 model in there (same in regards of the CDTP mod unfortunately). Maybe I missed something?

p.S. the cars look amazing, even despite all these years! :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 03:30PM by guiferrari.
Date: March 25, 2017 04:14PM
Posted by: quickslick
yep you're right, it's the mp4-17 at Ralphs mod
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy