The best fictional track layouts

Posted by truecrysis 
The best fictional track layouts
Date: January 22, 2017 06:01PM
Posted by: truecrysis
As part of a new interest for me, I'm writing a bit here and there about some of my hobbies, of which GP4 falls under that umbrella. As I have extensive history with basically trying to know what every download that exists for the game is, I figured I'd do a few overviews here and there about a few things. First up is fictional tracks, and more specifically the best layouts. The original write up, with pictures and fancy formatting, can be found here: [sonnorcteer.com] but I've not got much interest in forcing people to visit my site, so the exact same is written below:

I'm a huge fan of fictional tracks, there's a sense of exploration and challenge to learn something completely new that you don't get with a track you've driven millions of times before. Over time the GP4 Community has come up with quite a few fictional tracks, and I'd like to think I've driven them all at least once. Some are... not so great, but there are plenty that are pieces of art. I wanted to share with you some of the best tracks that I've come across in my time. Now this is a focus on the layout, so it could be the prettiest thing in the world, but if it's an oval it won't make the list. These are the ones that could be wearing a bin bag and still be great fun to drive. Lets just get on to the list:

Mini Nordschleife
by drt01, jcaranti (Download)

There's a reason so many love the Nordschleife, and that's for the challenge and excitement it provides. Grand Prix 4 can't handle the whole ring, so instead we have the Mini version. And it delivers the exact same feel. Whilst several corners are definitely taken from the real life version, both past and present, they are chosen and linked together perfectly. Each lap feels like an experience, a real objective to take on and nail each corner. It's honestly one of the best tracks I have come across, both real and fictional.

Piranema
by Gildoorf (Download)

A track that can keep a very high speed flow whilst also providing chances for overtaking is a real rarity. And that is exactly what Piranema is. The track just feels very smooth to drive, with the fast right-left chicane towards the end capping off what the circuit is about. It helps it's incredibly well made, but the layout itself makes this track what it is. And despite the theme of this track being very green (a colour I can hate), the track does carry a theme and identity that sticks with you once you've spent a little time with it.

Rolling Hills
by Robert Lowdon (Download)

Whilst a lot of tracks string corners together well, what a lot fail to do is make the elevation interesting. It makes the world of difference whether an apex falls away from you, or whether it has a blind entrance, or a steep climb. Rolling Hills does this incredibly well, an incredible mix of height change, corner style and racing elements. You won't get the lap right first time round, purely because you'll have no idea where all the apexes are.

Uqbar
by Klausfeldmann, Gildoorf (Download)

Often fictional tracks have a way of not feeling "real". I mean obviously they're not, but they just don't feel like something that could ever be made. Uqbar is probably the best example of the complete opposite. The layout is such a finished article, and the way it's constructed has a true consideration of what realistically would and wouldn't work. To add to that the corners just feel good to drive. The first sector especially flows very nicely throughout all the technical corners, before leading into two much quicker sectors. The whole thing is very very well made.

Urbano Ficticio
by txema (Download)

I am not a fan of driving city circuits, at all. I avoid Monaco at all costs for that reason. So to find a city track that I actually enjoy is pretty surprising, but that's exactly how I feel about Urbano Fictitio. What it does so well is providing the perfect mix of fast sections that send you wall to wall, and slow sections that aren't slow for the sake of being so. It feels rewarding to drive, and no corner feels like a pain to get through. Naturally as a city circuit it's punishing, but not frustratingly so, which is exceptionally rare for circuits like this.

Madeira
by paranoik0 (Download)

A very long track, something which allows it to demonstrate pretty much every type of section you're going to want to see. Tight sections, decreasing radius sections, increasing radius sections, hairpins, fast right-lefts. It's probably got everything, and despite being jam packed full of corners, still allows for a race craft and a flow that doesn't always come with such large circuits. The two hairpins are a little awkward, and perhaps the track lacks a little character, but for such an unknown quantity (I think at least), it's a very good design.

Foetus
by Zeppelin101 (Download)

One you get over the name, you'll realise this is an incredibly made track. Whilst the visuals are stunning, with some real attention to detail, the track layout itself lives up to the look. Some fast long corners, tight sections, a hairpin, a chicane, it has everything. What lets it down a little is the style of racing this leads to. Almost all the action happens on the main straight, and any other moves tend to lead to disaster, in a potentially big way.

Boromo
by F1Virtual, Turbo Lover (Download)

A very short but rapid track, this track raises similar compliments to Pasargada. Despite the lack of any massive straights, overtaking is almost never a problem, and the track retains a sense of rhythm throughout. The track genuinely has no really slow corners, with every one built to maintain at least some speed as you wind your way up and down the circuit. My only real complaint is that it's perhaps a little forgettable. It's a very strong layout, don't get me wrong, but there are no real moments that give me a "wow" when I fly through them.

Pasargada
by Gildoorf (Download)

What will originally reel you in is the colourful decor, but what will keep you around is the speed and race craft that this circuit creates. Chances to overtake come thick and fast, and they do so without resorting to the classic combination of long straights and tight corners. Of course this also lends itself to a fun drive, which Pasargada no doubt is. Probably the biggest letdown is the hairpin near the end, not because it's a hairpin, but because it creates absolute carnage whenever cars try and overtake there.

X-Lap
by ASWinner (Download)

Whilst I personally think the strength of this track comes in its visual design and creative elements, the layout is still one that will keep you interested. It's incredibly rapid, almost flat out middle sector is probably my favourite, but the rest of the corners provide a good compliment of overtaking spots and slow variance. The only reason it's so far down the order is because I don't think it brings many new character to the table that isn't found better elsewhere. At least in the layout department, in terms of visuals this track is one of a kind without a doubt.

Special Mentions

Tahiti - by salvasirignano (Download) - The layout is an F1 car. Literally, look at the track map. Alongside the sheer vibrancy of the setting, this track has creativity in spades. The racing may be a little chaotic sometimes, but in terms of being unique, it's definitely worth a look.

Ecuador - by salvasirignano (Download) - This one is one of my favourites, because I love long circuits and this is one of the longest available. Whilst the scenery maybe not complete, the layout has a challenge to it that can't be found elsewhere. It does have a hairpin that causes pileups and queues, but it is still a look of fun to drive.

Laputa - by GP44, hasbriale (Download) - Set in the castle in the sky, this track has more unique elements than a whole F1 calendar. Unfortunately not all of those elements are fun to drive, as there's only so much you want to slow speed wind up a tower. Genuinely one of the most unique tracks I've seen, and the racing it provides isn't bad.

Thoughts?

There are plenty of tracks that I've missed off this list that I also think are very very good; CPE, Q-Ring, Miami, and it's says good things about the community that I had to whittle it down. The quality of fictional tracks is incredible, so hopefully I've shown a few people tracks they've never used before.

Are there any I've missed? Do let me know if you think a certain track should be up there, although I've tried to include everything from my database. And if you're worried a really stunning project missed out, I am planning to do an overview of best looking projects, so don't fear. Comments and feedback always welcome!

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Re: The best fictional track layouts
Date: January 22, 2017 11:00PM
Posted by: n00binio
Wow, great topic, brings up some memories. The Canon Test Circuit comes to my mind, by jimbob. I think that was one of the first completely new tracks made for GP4. That was like 10+ years ago I think. Or Circuit Rousseau. Still have the tutorial for that one on my hdd. Man, those were exciting times :-)
I also sort of remember another really early track in some kind of a tropical setting, not sure what that was. Maybe an early incarnation of Uqbar.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: January 23, 2017 12:11AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Thanks for the mention! :)
Hopefully there'll be a lot more tracks to challenge for a spot on your list in future!

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: January 23, 2017 01:36AM
Posted by: PatrickTambay
Congratulations! I would like to learn make tracks for GP4. Anyone could me teach it?
Date: January 23, 2017 07:28AM
Posted by: Lo2k
I believe this list is missing the impressive Renault Test Track by Gildoorf :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 07:35AM by Lo2k.
Date: January 23, 2017 09:28AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Great thoughts about these fictional tracks. In fact, Piranema has always been my favourite layout. Bur I also didn't miss Uqbar in any of my own F1-seasons. I hope we will still see some more tracks in future.

@ Patrick Tambay:
Track editing is a great thing if everything works as it should. Sadly it does really rarely. I don't think track editing can be taught in some way. You will just have to read some tutorials and the GP4Builder's guide. Thats nearly all you need for track editing. As a start modifying existing tracks might be easier than making completely new ones. Good luck.
Date: January 23, 2017 10:29AM
salvasirignano Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the mention! :)
> Hopefully there'll be a lot more tracks to
> challenge for a spot on your list in future!

no problem! Ecuador is one of my favourite tracks to drive, despite its quirks! ;)

PatrickTambay Wrote:
> Congratulations! I would like to learn make tracks
> for GP4. Anyone could me teach it?

I'm considering making a video somewhen, but what klausfeldmann says is correct. There are some good tutorials to read through, and then with a bit of practice in the editor you'll be able to make a basic track no problem. Check my database if you're unsure where any tutorials are.

n00binio Wrote:
> Wow, great topic, brings up some memories. The
> Canon Test Circuit comes to my mind, by jimbob. I
> think that was one of the first completely new
> tracks made for GP4. That was like 10+ years ago I
> think. Or Circuit Rousseau. Still have the
> tutorial for that one on my hdd. Man, those were
> exciting times :-)
> I also sort of remember another really early track
> in some kind of a tropical setting, not sure what
> that was. Maybe an early incarnation of Uqbar.

Maybe the one you're thinking of is California by KTC? That one is a little tropical, and I could see how it'd remind you of Uqbar 2007. As for Rousseau/Canon I do think both are fantastic tracks, I've spent a lot of time on Canon personally. I think the only reason they didn't get a mention was because of their close similarity to Buenos Aires/Imola respectively. Great circuits though!

Lo2k Wrote:
> I believe this list is missing the impressive
> Renault Test Track by Gildoorf :)

It's a shame I had to cut the number down, because missing out tracks like AMS Renault, Quattro and Sloring is a shame. At this point I've driven enough laps that I like something about most tracks. I'd list them all if I could, but then I'd just be copying and pasting the database ;).

klausfeldmann Wrote:
> Great thoughts about these fictional tracks. In
> fact, Piranema has always been my favourite
> layout. Bur I also didn't miss Uqbar in any of my
> own F1-seasons. I hope we will still see some more
> tracks in future.

Yup Piranema is one of those tracks that is so satisfying to drive, it has a real flow to it. Hopefully they'll be more in the future, I'm sure there's a few impressive projects in the works ;)

Thanks for the comments though, going through each and giving each a few laps to check if I remembered them right was a lot of fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 10:29AM by truecrysis.
Date: January 23, 2017 04:24PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Circuit Park Emmeloord:

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: January 23, 2017 04:30PM
Posted by: Foreverk
Does anyone have a copy of Madeira to share? I´m trying to download from GP4DB since long time but first appears like this:

And all I get when I hit the download button is this :-o !:

I tried different browsers but always the same...
Date: January 23, 2017 04:45PM
Posted by: wrs
Date: January 23, 2017 05:31PM
Posted by: Foreverk
Many thanks! (Y)
Date: January 23, 2017 07:21PM
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> Circuit Park Emmeloord:
>
>

Trust me Ruben it was so close to be on there. The GPGSL race alone was enough to sing its praises ;).

Thanks for the link to Madeira, I'll make a secondary backup one here: [www.mediafire.com]

Date: January 23, 2017 08:10PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
I know. ;-)

Marfield by b-tone.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: January 23, 2017 09:59PM
Posted by: drt01
@ truecrysis : thanks for kind words about my Nordschleife. I'd like to know something about my other one "Le petit LeMans" (I)

Btw my fav is AMS Renault Complex by F1 Virtual (Y)

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
Date: January 23, 2017 10:28PM
truecrysis schrieb:
> n00binio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow, great topic, brings up some memories. The
> > Canon Test Circuit comes to my mind, by jimbob.
> I
> > think that was one of the first completely new
> > tracks made for GP4. That was like 10+ years ago
> I
> > think. Or Circuit Rousseau. Still have the
> > tutorial for that one on my hdd. Man, those
> were
> > exciting times :-)
> > I also sort of remember another really early
> track
> > in some kind of a tropical setting, not sure
> what
> > that was. Maybe an early incarnation of Uqbar.
>
> Maybe the one you're thinking of is California by
> KTC? That one is a little tropical, and I could
> see how it'd remind you of Uqbar 2007. As for
> Rousseau/Canon I do think both are fantastic
> tracks, I've spent a lot of time on Canon
> personally. I think the only reason they didn't
> get a mention was because of their close
> similarity to Buenos Aires/Imola respectively.
> Great circuits though!

Nope, not California. I pretty sure it was one of the earliest new tracks we had. I'll have a look at my archives :-)

Date: January 23, 2017 11:42PM
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> I know. ;-)
>
> Marfield by b-tone.

As a complete package it's up there, it even got recommended to the GPGSL as a usable track, which is decent praise for a fictional track. Unfortunately in terms of pure layout interest, I personally prefer the ones I put. But I do like Marfield!

drt01 Wrote:
> @ truecrysis : thanks for kind words about my
> Nordschleife. I'd like to know something about my
> other one "Le petit LeMans" (I)
>
> Btw my fav is AMS Renault Complex by F1 Virtual
> (Y)

For whatever reason I class Le Petit Le Mans as a real (albeit shorter) track, whilst kleine Nordschleife as "inspired by real" fictional track. Terrible excuse for forgetting Le Mans I know ;)
But the Le Mans track you've made is absolutely incredible, Circuit de le Sarthe is one of my favourite tracks full stop, so the version you've made which is basically the closest GP4 can get is brilliant. All the elements that should be there in a Le Mans circuit are, and it's a great drive!
I'm planning to do a "Overall top circuits" list, and I'm expecting your Le Mans track to be right near the top... ;-)

Date: January 24, 2017 12:09AM
Posted by: drt01
(Y).. glad you like (H)

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
Date: January 24, 2017 12:15AM
n00binio schrieb:
> truecrysis schrieb:
> -----
> > n00binio Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Wow, great topic, brings up some memories.
> The
> > > Canon Test Circuit comes to my mind, by
> jimbob.
> > I
> > > think that was one of the first completely
> new
> > > tracks made for GP4. That was like 10+ years
> ago
> > I
> > > think. Or Circuit Rousseau. Still have the
> > > tutorial for that one on my hdd. Man, those
> > were
> > > exciting times :-)
> > > I also sort of remember another really early
> > track
> > > in some kind of a tropical setting, not sure
> > what
> > > that was. Maybe an early incarnation of
> Uqbar.
> >
> > Maybe the one you're thinking of is California
> by
> > KTC? That one is a little tropical, and I could
> > see how it'd remind you of Uqbar 2007. As for
> > Rousseau/Canon I do think both are fantastic
> > tracks, I've spent a lot of time on Canon
> > personally. I think the only reason they didn't
> > get a mention was because of their close
> > similarity to Buenos Aires/Imola respectively.
> > Great circuits though!
>
> Nope, not California. I pretty sure it was one of
> the earliest new tracks we had. I'll have a look
> at my archives :-)

Haha! Now I know which track I had in mind. It was indeed the first version of Uqbar, released back in 2005. See here: [www.grandprixgames.org]
There are still some working screenshots in there, it's worth having a look at the beginning of track editing :-)
There was even a v2.0 back in 2005, the 2007 version is actually the 3rd version of this track.

Date: January 24, 2017 10:09AM
n00binio Wrote:
>
> Haha! Now I know which track I had in mind. It was
> indeed the first version of Uqbar, released back
> in 2005. See here:
> [www.grandprixgames.org]
> age=1
> There are still some working screenshots in there,
> it's worth having a look at the beginning of track
> editing :-)
> There was even a v2.0 back in 2005, the 2007
> version is actually the 3rd version of this track.

Ooh interesting, I've seen a lot of the 2007 and 2013 versions of the track, but never the 2005 and earlier ones. Thanks for the link, it looks very lush in those pictures ;)

Date: January 24, 2017 12:35PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
Where can download Circuit Park Emmeloord?

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy