GP4 Game Setup

Posted by gp4wonder 
GP4 Game Setup
Date: January 16, 2017 04:16AM
Posted by: gp4wonder
I'm posting this in new topic as it will help the community to get GP4 running well.
It is under here:- [www.grandprixgames.org]
as Grand Prix 4 intermittently crashing to desktop (CTD) resolved and getting GP4 running just right
But I thought well I think it should be included as a setup rather than CTD issue now

19/Jan/2017:-

I can say without a doubt that this has resolved the issue.
No crash to desktop after more than 10 straight runs...woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Testing:-
I have run the game on two PC's in multiplayer mode.
Enabled the AI to control both cars by pressing the P key ingame. (this is if your using keyboard for controller, if your using wheel it will be space bar)
Then stepped away and let the race run on it's own.
Regarding the multiplayer, In gpxpatch select:- Use CPU 0 for the Host PC
and for the Join PC select:- Use CPU 1.
I observed that if you select Use CPU 0 for both PC's the gameplay will lag and game will be unplayable.

Resolution 4 steps:-

Step 1:-

-Disable the antivirus to stop it running in the background, affects gameplay, causes lag.
-Right click on GP4.exe, then properties and on compatibility tab set it to winxpsp2, and select:- Run this program as Administrator
-Right click on gpxpatch.exe then properties and select:- Run this program as Administrator, don't select Run this program in compatibility mode for
-In gpxpatch as mentioned select Use CPU 0 from drop down.

Step 2:-

Adjusting windows to use the highest CPU clock rate for the game
reference this article:-
[smallbusiness.chron.com]

#Enable Maximum Performance Power Settings
Click Start, "Control Panel" and then "Power Options."
Click the "Show Additional Plans" drop-down arrow. Enable the "High Performance" option then click "Change Plan Settings."
Click the "Change Advanced Power Settings" link in the new window. The Power Options window appears.
Click the "+" symbol next to the "Processor Power Management" value, then "Minimum Processor State." Click the "Setting %" label, then change the value in the box field to "100."
Click "System Cooling Policy" then the "Setting" label. Change the value to "Active."
Click "Maximum Processor State" then "Setting." Change the value to "100."
Click the "Apply" button then "OK." Click the "back" arrow button in the Edit Plan Settings window. Close the Select a Power Plan window. Windows applies the changes to the power settings and utilizes 100 percent of the processor available power for the active application on the screen.

Step 3:-

Then To optimize gameplay, especially for multiplayer:-

This needs to be done just once:-
-Delete this file from your GP4 folder:- f1graphics.cfg
-Start the game using:- gpxpatch.exe, and in the 'Games' menu, click on exit, don't save on your way out
-You will notice a new f1graphics.cfg file created
-Open the f1graphics.cfg file in notepad and change the following values on the left for these options:-

1 ; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)
1920 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1080 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution
1920 ; [DEBUG] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1080 ; [DEBUG] Game 3D Vertical Resolution
0 ; Full dynamic video walls v2
0 ; TV style overlays on track cameras.
1 ; [DEBUG] Enable hardware T&L if available
1 ; [RELEASE] Enable hardware T&L if available
1 ; Low track geometry (1 on, 0 off)
1 ; Low res geometry track (1 low res, 0 normal)

-Start the game again:-gpxpatch.exe
-In the Games menu, goto Options---> Graphics
-click on Advanced
-Grab the 'frame rate' slider bar and adjust it 30fps
-Save the game when you exit i.e finished playing

note:-
Playing with the fps slider bar and starting the race, you will notice something when pressing the 'O' key
which is test of the processor utilisation, it will vary depending on what fps you choose.
keeping it less than 100% processor occupancy is where you want it to be.
on my FX6300 6 core cpu running at 3.5ghz at 30fps starting at the back of the race I get 45% processor occupancy
the race runs smooth.

Step 4:-

download this utility:-
[www.smartpcutilities.com]

It is free to download it has Gaming mode, explanation:-

Games Optimization
PC Services Optimizer comes with Gaming Mode that effectively boosts your computer gaming performance. Gaming Mode gives your system an immediate performance boost by temporary suspending unnecessary Windows features to free up computer resources and focus processing power on games you play.

This is pretty much it

Information about the above options found here:-
[gp4forever.com]

Example:-

-f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)
The f1graphics.cfg will take control of your graphics instead of the game graphics menu.

-Full dynamic video walls v2:-
Giant screen completely dynamic. This enabled to view real-time images on the video screens found along the track while the race is being held. This option is one of the most
demanding in regard to the hardware and if there is not a very powerful PC will have decelerations are each time it goes near a video screen. It is recommended to disable this
option.

-TV style overlays on track cameras:-
Style TV cameras at the edge of the track. Is the style "GP4 television." Very old and of poor quality. Definitely off.

-Low track geometry (1 on, 0 off):-
Lower track geometry. "Decreases" level geometry chart tracks. Inserting the value "1" will decrease the graphics quality of the track. Inserting the value "0" increase the
graphic quality of the track.

-Low res geometry track (1 low res, 0 normal):-
Geometry of the track in low or high resolution. If set to "0", the tracks are loaded into "low resolution". If set to "1" tracks are uploaded to the "high resolution" and
allow the formulation of the other graphics settings you have previously seteado.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 11:29PM by gp4wonder.
Re: GP4 Game Setup
Date: January 18, 2017 03:20AM
Hi All,

I just found this, which I will be trying out:-

[www.smartpcutilities.com]

It is free to download it has Gaming mode, explanation:-

Games Optimization
PC Services Optimizer comes with Gaming Mode that effectively boosts your computer gaming performance. Gaming Mode gives your system an immediate performance boost by temporary suspending unnecessary Windows features to free up computer resources and focus processing power on games you play.

#########
GP4 Single player works real well, and for most part multiplayer works the same, but here and there the fps slows down
not at the same spot either, it's just random, so makes sense that windows is doing something in the background

will update as soon as I can
Date: January 18, 2017 06:35AM
Posted by: davegp4
intense info bro(B)

Latest Themes / Mods > [www.mediafire.com]
You Tube Video's [www.youtube.com]
________________________________________±
Date: January 18, 2017 11:06PM
Thanks davegp4, I just found the optimizer made even more of a difference, the cars fly around the circuit, definitely windows processes in background interferes with gameplay
I'll add that to the above post and we are done, enjoy everyone, this is working great now, no crashes , no slow downs...great news for me as I'm doing championship races over lan
haven't tried over internet but that would be coming.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy