Random fact: GP4 original Suzuka is not from 2001

Posted by Prblanco 
Random fact: GP4 original Suzuka is not from 2001
Date: October 09, 2016 09:25PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Someone probably noticed this already in the last 14 years. Don't know why I decided to check this, but I found out that even though GP4 is entirely based on the 2001 season, the original Suzuka track is in fact based on the 2000 season.

Between 2000 and 2001, turn 5 was moved back and reprofiled into a faster turn, leaving more room for gravel traps; runoffs were also extended in turns 3, 6 (S-curves), 7 (on the inside) and 15 (130R). These changes are not present in the game's original Suzuka. Probably the game was in a far stage of development by the time these changes happened in the real track, so the developers didn't have access to updated GPS data. Many modded versions of Suzuka didn't take these inaccuracies into account, or if they did, track editing back then was not developed enough to change these.

Since I watched many onboards I also took note of changes in the following years. In 2002 turn 7 (Dunlop) was pushed back to create more runoff; in 2003 turns 15 (130R) and 16-17 (Casio Triangle) were reprofiled; in 2004 a chicane was added for motorcycles in turn 12.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 09:32PM by Prblanco.
Re: Random fact: GP4 original Suzuka is not from 2001
Date: October 09, 2016 10:27PM
Posted by: Atticus.
I really don't want to brag about it, but I did know of these things. (Although I'm as big of a track enthusiast as it gets, so no surprise.) But it's very nice to read someone else's research on the topic. :-)

I was actually quite glad when I heard about T5 not having been updated while I was working on Suzuka 1982, because it also meant that the in-game T5 was actually still the original, unaltered T5 (and GPS-level accurate original T5 at that) and so I didn't have to edit it. (Of course, I was glad in the first place that the 2001 track still had the original T6, the original Dunlop, the original 130R, etc.)

...Then I realised that Suzuka 1982 was not only different because there was no chicane which every level 2 motorsport fan knows. Level 3 fans may notice that Degner was a single corner too. What I did not notice for years (and that's why I pulled Suzuka 1982 down last year) is that the current Suzuka also has T1 and T2 and also Spoon squeezed compared to the original layout. These were modified in 1985 and 1984 respectively. (Degner was modified in 1987 while the first iteration of the chicane was added in 1983.) Still, one had to look no further than the annual Japanese GP press kit from FIA.com to recognise these changes as that always provides detailed information on the history of layout changes, down to radius-level.

I have since added the original T1-T2 to a WIP version, but I'm still not happy with the restored Spoon - I've had few visual references up until a few months ago. I now have adequate - now I don't find the time to do it. (I originally planned it for today's race.) Still planning on doing it some time though.

Interestingly enough, both the new T1-T2 and the new Spoon were some of the best circuit modifications I have ever seen - the designers were clearly hell-bent on retaining the character of the original curves, modifying subtle but effective parameters of the corners. I actually like the new Spoon better than the old one which says a lot...

Here's a map of all the changes: [blog-imgs-44-origin.fc2.com]

FUN FACT: While we're at it, GP4 original Spa from 2001 does not have the extended Eau Rouge run-off like the real-life Spa 2001. The walls still reflect the 2000 positioning, only Geoff Crammond & Co. changed verge behaviour from gravel to asphalt, creating something of a mix. (2000 area, but 2001 behaviour.) Presumably noticed it too late, did not have access to up-to-date data, as in the case of Suzuka, as Prblanco said, and just got on with what they had.

Needless to say, this also helped restoring the original Eau Rouge (also in a WIP) immensely as I had reference points that were lost during the 2001 reconstruction.

EDIT: Link doesn't work anymore, see below.

EDIT 2: It works again.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 04:12PM by Atticus..
Date: October 09, 2016 11:28PM
Posted by: quickslick
sounds interesting about Suzuka and Spa, i didn't noticed it with Suzuka 2001. For Spa Eau Rouge 2001 i noticed it already long time ago, that there is no gravel in Eau Rouge runoff and it's great, that you are about to change it Atticus :). And maybe we can have a correct Suzuka 2001 track one day :)
Date: October 09, 2016 11:58PM
Posted by: truecrysis
I also suspected this, just never had it completely confirmed from someone else. But again like Atticus im a bit of a track enthusiast!

Flicking between the 2000 and 2001 layouts here: [www.racingcircuits.info] gives a good visual comparison of what Paulo means and all the other changes mentioned (Atticus your link didn't work for me)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: October 10, 2016 07:59AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Interesting analysis!

X (@ed24f1)
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: October 10, 2016 08:30AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Date: October 10, 2016 11:12AM
Posted by: Atticus.
@truecrysis: It doesn't work for me anymore either. It must have been taken down just now.

It was just an overlay of the changes, similar to the Racing Circuits images, but all in one picture.

Here's a Google cache of its thumbnail: [encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com]

EDIT: It works again.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 04:12PM by Atticus..
I would even say, that all tracks in GP4 are based on the 2000er season. It's quite easy to find at least a few thing being a pre-year relict on all the 17 circuits. Let me just say, that in Hockenheim the inner run-offs in the chicanes in 2001 were already tarmac, but they are grass in GP4.
Date: October 12, 2016 02:28AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
See Prblanco here again is nice too! ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy