Mišeluk (WIP)

Posted by miki2000milos 
Mišeluk (WIP)
Date: June 28, 2015 09:01PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
Okay.. so I was inspired by Doug's Barbagallo track WIP to try to make my first track, and my first massive project in Gp4 really. So I took the opportunity to create my home track, as it isn't made yet for this game.
So, many people may not know about it at all, as Serbia isn't known as a motorsport country, and infact I am not sure if apart from Mišeluk we even have another race track. I had hoped in the F1 Virtual poll I voted a while ago someone would notice it and make it, but seems like nobody did.
So I decided to try my hands on it. No idea how hard it'll be, how accurate it'll be, but I will try to make it something that's half-decent. Or at least the .dat file.
Track:

now as this is my first track I am still very unexperienced on track building, so it would be nice if I can recieve help along the way.

Anyway, here's a look at what I did so far. Obviously a bunch of sectors still to go, but hey, it looks alright so far.

First question: Can the track be this narrow to work alright with the cars on the grid procedure etc.? It's realistic like this, the track is narrow on the SF straight irl aswell. I used all the tips from F1 Virtual on their guide about getting a google maps image into GP4 so I think I got it almost spot on.

Here's all of my progress since day 1, and also my learning process about GP4 track making:
The day I created this thread and was motivated to try and create my home track. Learning a lot of things in Gp4 builder by analysing it.

learning how to close a track, and releasing a faulty version that freezes the game every time, in order to let the experienced track makers know what I did wrong. Got a lot of useful tips on pitlane sectors, and a nice CC-line, as I had/have no idea how to create a good one.. 

the track stops freezing, we're able to see the cars "floating" in-game. But hey it works. Now I got to another issue - cars stuck in the pits, however I knew what was the problem but no idea how to fix. Again, I got tips on how to fix it, and the cars weren't stuck anymore!

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 08:24PM by miki2000milos.
Re: Mišeluk (WIP)
Date: June 28, 2015 09:59PM
Posted by: fandericciardo3
Nice WIP project!
Date: June 28, 2015 11:07PM
thanks Andy!

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 12:41AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Don't worry about the start grid! There is a value in the magic data you can modify later, you can make it so narrow they start single file if you wish! :)

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: June 29, 2015 02:19AM
Posted by: Prblanco
Our WIP Fiorano has about the same width as your track on the main straight, it does need a small adjustment to make sure cars don't grid on the grass, other than that it works fine.

This adjustment is in Initial Sector - 1st Car Position on Grid. We've set a value of 380 for Fiorano, the default is 680.

Good luck!

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: June 29, 2015 02:56AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
That looks great so far, can't wait to drive it.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: June 29, 2015 09:12AM
Prblanco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our WIP Fiorano has about the same width as your
> track on the main straight, it does need a small
> adjustment to make sure cars don't grid on the
> grass, other than that it works fine.
>
> This adjustment is in Initial Sector - 1st Car
> Position on Grid. We've set a value of 380 for
> Fiorano, the default is 680.
>
> Good luck!

so that's what that's for.. ;)
I did realise it was slightly too narrow however so I made it wider

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 10:37AM
okay guys another question:
If you drove the track in rFactor, you'd notice there is a bump at the end of the long turn 3 coming onto the first long straight. In order to replicate that in GP4, I had to slightly adjust the track. My question is: Will this work fine for AI?

I pretty much have to place the bump at the red line

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 11:00AM
Posted by: TomMK
I'm loving this surge in track-making interest! (Y)

BTW miki - that is not the best way to make a bump. One of the track-makers will show you how though, I'm sure.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 29, 2015 11:07AM
I know how to make a bump (sort of), but the angle of the bump is what I'm struggling with. Obviously so far I am making the track flat, once I make the basic track I will go into elevation changes

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 01:25PM
over the building of my track I noticed GP4 Builder likes to crash. A lot. Luckily I save my track progress very often. Almost done with the base track, I think it's pretty decent. Will need some help on the CC line though.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 01:33PM
also how does one close a track? xD

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 02:09PM
ok so apart from these issues, I have completed the track. Please let me know if I have done absolutely everything correctly (apart from the fences near the pit entry and exit I know that ;) or any fences in general)

now I am waiting for CC line tips and the bump angle I mentioned

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 02:25PM by miki2000milos.
Date: June 29, 2015 02:24PM
Posted by: Atticus.
Sadly, there's not much you can do to influence the angle of a bump - it will always be orthogonal to the direction the track otherwise faces looking from above. I suggest not to mess with such extreme sector angles in the middle of a straight as it might cause problems for the AI.

(You can try it though because I'm just on the cautious side with my opinion above.)

As for 'closing' the track, the - quite advanced level - best practice would be aligning the Direction of the last sector of the last curve with the very first sector of the track. You can find the necessary value if you double click on a sector, find F0 Sector Orientation, double click, find Direction, et voilá. Make sure this value of Sector 0 and the last sector of the last curve is the same. Then create the last straight all the way up to the first sector - in such a way that there is a bit of an overlap between the first and the last sectors. (So, in the above case, you would create at least one more sector and you would be fine.)

You might have to delete and re-create the last curve with slightly different Sector Angles to make sure the angle of its last sector won't deviate too drastically from the angle of the rest (and from real life).

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: June 29, 2015 02:28PM
I had no idea if track sectors can overlap so cheers for that, will do!

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 04:17PM
alright first issues.. apart from making the cc-line, so I guess the second issue.
for this one I have uploaded the .dat file I created:
[www.mediafire.com]
now to the issue:
I created a poor and basic CC-line as I wanted to check if AI can drive nicely at the exit of turn 3. You may notice I haven't added any bumps or elevations yet.
So this should mean apart from the pitlane fences, the track is completed.. but no.
I tried to launch the game and whenever I click "drive" (on a quickrace), it freezes. I believe I set the grid value to 380 aswell.

could it be due to the pitlane?

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: June 29, 2015 07:31PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Are there any errors in the Track Flag list? (Tools menu)

Also, if you haven't begun building your cc-line yet, be sure to delete all of it so it doesn't go beyond the track boundaries.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 07:34PM by Prblanco.
Date: June 29, 2015 08:51PM
Posted by: Atticus.
Yep, the pitlane is one issue - check out the F1 Virtual tutorial on placing pit lane flags, Google 'f1 virtual adding pitlane flags.'

After that, make sure you don't do that thing with the CC-line where you put short sections after each other each with 400-500 mm radius - GP4 doesn't like radii below 2000, and it's also unnecessary to make those short, heavily curved sections because they are are placed on the straights. Refer to other tracks CC-lines, study them a bit (a bit is enough for a basic line) and you're good to go.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: June 29, 2015 08:58PM
Posted by: Lo2k
miki2000milos écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> over the building of my track I noticed GP4
> Builder likes to crash. A lot.

Really ? I never get any crash and if ever, I'm patching it immediately.
Did you notice it was crashing at a particular moment, when using a particular feature ?

Date: June 29, 2015 11:21PM
@Prblanco I made sure it doesn't go beyond track boundaries. Don't worry it's very bad I'll delete all of it regardless, just wanted to see my track in GP4.

@Atticus yeah, I was forced to by the builder, I guess I'm still a noob at this :/ whenever I put the line above a certain radius, the first sector (of the line) likes to curve in the opposite direction quite dramatically.
Thanks for the pitlane tips btw! Will do!

@Lo2k the modify sectors feautre, when I open it it shows up but it freezes and crashes. Not every time though, happened a lot around sectors 630-ish. Didn't happen a lot before or after that, but it still did occasionally. I'm using 1.912 XE
It could be just my PC being too crap, or rather my processor, Pentium G2020 2.9GhZ (dual core). GFX card (GTX 750) should work alright with 4GB ram.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 11:40PM by miki2000milos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy