F1virtual wants to hear from you! (Results on pages 2 and 3)

Posted by Prblanco 
Re: F1virtual wants to hear from you!
Date: April 05, 2015 02:44PM
Posted by: neldav03
Rot Teufel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow, never think about that joke formula has so
> many followers... :( Joke circuits, fan boost,
> cars unable to do more than 20km and the stupid
> 2015 15 day tests rules... :( Poor motorsport...
> this means that Agag is a good smoke seller* even
> with the departure of Enrique Bañuelos de Castro
> (the main moneylender) and some financial issues.
> And that is really a shame seen today Agag spoke
> about new batteries and will introduce their
> delelop freedom only at the 3rd future year...
> (N)
>
> * ops, Agag doesn't sell smoke, at least dust ;)

Give Formula E a chance, it will only get better as the years progress. The technology is very new and niche. In five years time, the technology will be advanced, cars will be faster, and who knows, they even last a full race. This is only the beginning.
Date: April 05, 2015 02:52PM
Posted by: ramf1v
neldav03 Wrote:
> Give Formula E a chance, it will only get better
> as the years progress.

Rumour has it they are introducing a new OAP class. ;)

F1Dev
Date: April 05, 2015 02:53PM
Posted by: quickslick
and the next step is the motogp with E bikes ;)
Sound the alarm! Here starts the final page of results.

16. Do you know F1virtual team? (88 answered)
45.5% Yes, but only from the released works
42.0% Yes, and I also follow the blog and the Facebook page
10.2% No, but I have seen works derived from those by F1virtual
2.3% Not at all
Here, I'll show you: our blog and our Facebook page.

17. How would you rate F1virtual's works, on average? (86 answered)
89.5% Excellent
10.5% Good
Hooray!

18. Compared to other similar works, how do you rate F1virtual's works? (85 answered)
52.9% The best
45.9% Above average
1.2% Average
We love you too.

19. How would you rate F1virtual's works on these specific criteria? (86 answered)
Visual quality (detailed models, high quality textures)
81.2% Excellent
18.8% Good

Accuracy (similarity to real counterpart)
76.5% Excellent
23.5% Good
We're best evaluated in criteria that the community values the most? (Question 12) Looks pretty good to me.

Relevancy (importance of the work itself)
45.2% Excellent
44.0% Good
9.5% Regular
1.2% Bad

System performance (runs well on low-spec computers)
54.2% Good
32.5% Excellent
13.3% Regular
We did try improving on that with the low/mid/hi-res versions, but we didn't get user feedback from it.

Quantity (number of released works each year)
52.4% Good
22.0% Regular
15.9% Excellent
9.8% Bad
Not badly evaluated overall, but definitely where we want to improve the most in 2015.

20. How do you think F1virtual should advertise its own works? (86 answered)
Gameplay screenshots
57.0% Very frequently
32.6% Occasionally
9.3% Only near release
1.2% Never

Gameplay videos
41.0% Occasionally
31.3% Only near release
26.5% Very frequently
1.2% Never

"Behind-the-scenes" screenshots (modeling, references, tools used)
48.1% Occasionally
22.2% Very frequently
22.2% Only near release
7.4% Never

Developer reports and interviews
43.6% Occasionally
24.4% Only near release
17.9% Very frequently
14.1% Never

"Behind-the scenes" videos
34.2% Occasionally
30.4% Only near release
21.5% Never
13.9% Very frequently

Votes were very spread out in this question, but all point to "Occasionally" one way or the other.

21. What kind of tracks would you like F1virtual to work on? (86 answered - users could pick more than one option)
86.0% Formula 1 tracks
66.3% Historical Formula 1 tracls
38.4% Non-F1 European road courses
33.7% Non-F1 North American road courses
32.6% Non-F1 street circuits
27.9% Non-F1 Asian and Australian road courses
23.3% Non-F1 South American road courses
17.4% Fictional circuits
Sorry to break it to you guys, but we're not planning on working on historical F1 tracks, more on that later. One user said "oval tracks", but we deliberately didn't include that option, more on that later too. Overall, this question more or less reflects the answers of Questions 1 and 4.

22. Which categories' tracks would you like F1virtual to work on? (86 answered - users could pick more than one option)
89.5% Formula 1
40.7% IndyCar
36.0% DTM, WTCC, WEC and others
32.6% Formula E
17.4% GP2, GP3, F3, F4, WSR and others
Users also mentioned V8 Supercars, MotoGP, Blancpain GT Series, BTCC and NASCAR.

The track whishlist has got to be a separate post. Too much info. And we need suspense.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
can't wait for the tracks! Really want to see your latest project. Hopefully you pick my tracks ;)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Prblanco Schreef:
> 21. What kind of tracks would you like F1virtual
> to work on? (86 answered - users could pick more
> than one option)
> 86.0% Formula 1 tracks
> 66.3% Historical Formula 1 tracls
> 38.4% Non-F1 European road courses
> 33.7% Non-F1 North American road courses
> 32.6% Non-F1 street circuits
> 27.9% Non-F1 Asian and Australian road courses
> 23.3% Non-F1 South American road courses
> 17.4% Fictional circuits
> Sorry to break it to you guys, but we're not
> planning on working on historical F1 tracks
, more
> on that later. One user said "oval tracks", but we
> deliberately didn't include that option, more on
> that later too. Overall, this question more or
> less reflects the answers of Questions 1 and 4.
>
What's the point of that question if you guys already made up your minds of not planning to make Historical F1 tracks.
If you can see there's more need for this tracks than all the rest. People are asking for this and you guys won't do it.
... and telling us more on that later... why, just get clean right away... and say, yes or no, and you guys already said no !!

They are already enough of normal F1 tracks, you got a lot of them and the only changes on this tracks are the sponsoring and the views, by a matter of speaking.

Very bad question if I may say so and very bad answer.

GPGSL-3: VTR Driver, S4~S11 (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 3th, 2nd)(Constructorstitel S7 & S9)
GPGSL-4: ONE Racing Driver, S8~S11 // TYRANT Racing Driver, S12:1st, S13:13th, S14:1st, S15:13th //
WREXHAM Motorsports Racing Driver S16: ?
Date: April 05, 2015 05:54PM
Posted by: Brett Sinclair
ramf1v Schreef:
> neldav03 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Give Formula E a chance, it will only get
> better
> > as the years progress.
>
> Rumour has it they are introducing a new OAP
> class. ;)
>
> [mobilityreporter.files.wordpress.com]
> /06/tgastevetarrantsml.jpg

Why are you putting a picture of my friend here in this post, don't like that at all.

He is disabled by a car crash and he is a full time Marshaller on racing events... Goodwood, 24h Le Mans, Daytona International Speedway etc...
He is one of the bravest man I know and I don't like his picture been used as a joke.
Just take a look on his facebook page and see for yourself.
Steve Tarrant Facebookpage
[www.facebook.com]
[www.facebook.com]

GPGSL-3: VTR Driver, S4~S11 (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 3th, 2nd)(Constructorstitel S7 & S9)
GPGSL-4: ONE Racing Driver, S8~S11 // TYRANT Racing Driver, S12:1st, S13:13th, S14:1st, S15:13th //
WREXHAM Motorsports Racing Driver S16: ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 06:03PM by Brett Sinclair.
And here we go, wishlist! Users mentioned no less than 136 different tracks (plus a few fictional ones). There was some confusion over the F1/non-F1 separate questions, as some included former F1 tracks under F1 and others under non-F1. So I organized all the suggestions into a few categories.

Also, some users explicitly asked for historical versions of some tracks. When so, I indicate it like this: "14 votes - Monza (ITA) (6H)", which means that of all 14 votes Monza got, 6 explicitly asked for a historical version, and 8 only said Monza with no mention of year.

23. What are your five most wanted Formula 1 tracks for Grand Prix 4?
24. What are your five most wanted non-F1 tracks for Grand Prix 4?
(68 answered)

Current/recent F1 tracks
34 votes - Sochi (RUS)
22 votes - Hermanos Rodriguez (MEX)
15 votes - Circuit of the Americas/Austin (USA)
14 votes - Red Bull Ring (AUT) (1H), Monza (ITA) (6H)
10 votes - Nürburgring (GER) (6H)
8 votes - Monaco (MON) (1H), Hockenheim (GER) (6H)
7 votes - Suzuka (JPN) (1H), Spa-Francorchamps (BEL) (3H)
6 votes - Buddh (IND), Interlagos (BRA) (2H)
5 votes - Melbourne (AUS), Yeongam (KOR), Montreal (CAN) (1H)
4 votes - Hungaroring (HUN), Singapore (SIN), Silverstone (GBR) (2H)
3 votes - Abu Dhabi (UAE), Barcelona (ESP), Sakhir (BRN), Shanghai (CHN)
2 votes - Istanbul (TUR), Sepang (MAS)
1 vote - Valencia Street (ESP)
Okay, you want Sochi. We get it.

Tracks that have hosted F1 races in the past, and are still active
10 votes - Paul Ricard (FRA) (1H)
9 votes - Long Beach (USA) (4H)
8 votes - Mosport (CAN), Brands Hatch (GBR) (1H), Zolder (BEL) (2H)
7 votes - Jarama (ESP)
6 votes - Anderstorp (SWE) (1H), Clermont-Ferrand (FRA) (1H)
5 votes - Adelaide (AUS) (2H), Imola (ITA) (2H), Estoril (POR) (3H)
4 votes - Magny-Cours (FRA), Sebring (USA), Watkins Glen (USA) (1H), Zandvoort (NED) (3H)
3 votes - Le Mans (FRA), Jerez (ESP) (1H), Fuji (JPN) (3H)
2 votes - Buenos Aires (ARG), Mont-Tremblant (CAN), Okayama/Aida (JPN)
1 vote - Boavista (POR), Indianapolis (USA), Kyalami (RSA)
I'm inclined to assume that nearly everybody was thinking about the F1 years when they suggested these tracks.

Non-F1 tracks that are still active
6 votes - Macau (CHN), Mugello (ITA)
5 votes - Losail (QAT), Sonoma/Sears Point (USA)
4 votes - Bathurst/Mount Panorama (AUS), Laguna Seca (USA), Moscow Raceway (RUS), Potrero de los Funes (ARG)
3 votes - Daytona (USA), Fiorano (ITA), Lausitzring (GER), Biscaine Bay/Miami (USA), Mid-Ohio (USA), Misano (ITA), Phillip Island (AUS), Portland (USA), Puerto Madero (ARG), Road America (USA), Sachsenring (GER), Slovakia Ring (SVK), Ricardo Tormo/Valencia (ESP)
2 votes - Enna-Pergusa (ITA), Knockhill (GBR), Motegi (JPN), Punta del Este (URU), Road Atlanta (USA), Salzburgring (AUT), St. Petersburg (USA), Termas de Río Hondo (ARG), Exhibition Place/Toronto (CAN)
1 vote - Algarve/Portimão (POR), Assen (NED), Barber (USA), Belle Isle (USA), Bristol (USA), Fontana (USA), Hampton Downs (NZL), Hidden Valley (AUS), Highlands (NZL), Homebush/Sydney (AUS), Isle of Man (GBR), Battersea Park/London (GBR), Magione (ITA), Mallala (AUS), Marrakech (MAR), Milwaukee (USA), Mondello Park (IRL), Monthléry (FRA), Moscow Street (RUS), Motorland Aragón (ESP), Myachkovo (RUS), Nogaro (FRA), NOLA (USA), NRing (RUS), Pukekohe (NZL), Sandown (AUS), Snetterton (GBR), Sporstland (JPN), Symmons Plains (AUS), Texas (USA), Thruxton (GBR), Tsukuba (JPN), Willow Springs (USA)

Historical or inactive tracks, proposed tracks, and others which I couldn't find any info
7 votes - Caesar's Palace/Las Vegas (USA)
6 votes - Montjuïc (ESP)
5 votes - Cleveland (USA)
3 votes - Phoenix Street (USA), Reims-Gueux (FRA)
2 votes - Bremgarten (SUI), Jacarepaguá (BRA), Rouen-Les-Essarts (FRA), Vancouver (CAN)
1 vote - Ain-Diab (MAR), Avus (GER), Brooklands (GBR), Chaika (UKR), Denver Street (USA), Detroit Street (USA), Edmonton (CAN), Fair Park/Dallas (USA), Hamilton (NZL), Miseluk (SRB), Monsanto (POR), Nivelles (BEL), Port Imperial (USA), Walt Disney (USA), Zeltweg (AUT)

Okay, time to comment the results.

First, the current F1 tracks. We will work on Sochi, Austin and Red Bull Ring. Will they be released before the respective races? Unlikely. Right now, we aren't working on any of these but they'll definitely enter our pipeline later in the year. About Mexico, we'll have to wait on more accurate reference, the trackmaps and videos released so far are not enough to work with. Our main focus this year will be on F1 tracks, maybe the ones that got more votes will be prioritized, but that hasn't been decided yet.

Now on tracks outside the F1 calendar. First, we should make it clear that F1virtual will only work with recent circuits. Historical circuits don't really interest us (despite the high interest from the community, which surprised me a little), the workflow for building them is very different from what we currently do due to relative lack of source material and it would be hard for us to keep our quality standards in such tracks. So, no historical circuits from us.

That means two things: one, we will not work on circuits from the final category such as Ceasar's Palace, Montjuïc or Phoenix Street. Two, if we choose to build a circuit that has hosted a F1 race in the past, we will make it as it is currently, not how it was when F1 raced there. For example, let's say if we decided to build Clermont-Ferrand, we would not do the 8-km circuit that F1 raced on in the 60's and 70's, but instead the 3.8-km circuit that is still active nowadays.

I know this sounds ugly to some of you, but we never really intended to shift our focus from modern tracks, we just wanted to know the community's opinion. Hopefully some of our fellow trackmakers will notice the great interest in historical tracks and work on some of the requests that our survey has collected.

Ok, more on our plans for non-F1 tracks. Currently the only one that is in the works is Fiorano. We don't plan on starting new non-F1 tracks this semester. Personally, I always wanted to work on Losail and Sonoma, which got quite high in our non-F1 request list. Macau and Long Beach would be incredible, but we are not sure if we can tackle a street circuit from scratch without blowing our brains up.

Some ovals were also mentioned (Daytona, Bristol, Texas). We did do some tests with ovals in the past which were not very promising, very buggy in fact. I would love to see Daytona Road coming to GP4, but the game wasn't designed with ovals in mind and the behavior is quite complicated in high-banked sections.

I guess that's it for now, there's still the final part of the survey which is suggestions and complaints, I will try to comment some of those, and then it's a wrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 12:46PM by Prblanco.
Zeltweg was made I think, I have the track. I think Zeltweg is a version of Osterreichring with a 1st corner chicane.

Shame about Miseluk though, it's still a race course, and there are races on there sometimes. I was hoping it could get converted from rFactor, or Assetto Corsa, as it was made for both games.. Not pleased about that.

And, finally, I am also not pleased that there is still not a GP layout of Brands Hatch made for this game that has all the track adverts.. :(

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Kind of expected that the lack of decent references is one of the reasons why you guys don't make historical tracks.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
And finally, the suggestions and complaints we received. We got 44 answers but the messages were not too diverse. First, to all the people who said "great job", "keep it up" and other similarly positive comments, a huge THANK YOU. :) Also thanks for everyone that answered our survey. I hope the results will be useful to all GP4 modders, not just us.

"F1virtual could 'out-source' small jobs"
We did something like that in the past where we provided unfinished, but driveable .dat files so people could work on and finish it. If there is interest we could revive it. Also, we're always open to answer questions about track editing and even help with small tasks - it's just that people don't ask us very much! :) Just go to our blog or our Facebook page and leave us a message. (If you have done that and haven't got an answer, please complain!)

"It would be nice to have different track configurations"
We usually focus on the most used configuration, or as was the case with Motorland Aragón, the one most used in single-seater racing. A fully-working alternate layout would need a .wad of its own and would be a separate download, to avoid any graphical glitches. We haven't given much attention to this lately since these requests are usually rare, but we can give it a second thought.

"How is <insert track here> progressing?" / "Don't post screens from <insert track here> and then no news for months" / "Finish the tracks that you have started"
If there's no news from us lately, it's probably on hold. Since our members do different tasks in each track, very frequently a track can be started but not have any progress in a long time because the person that would work on it next is focused on another track / has little free time / is hunting Metroids in a nearby planet. What also happens is that we change our release priorities and some tracks are left behind. This is a hobby after all, and this is something that happens. We will however try to be more careful when posting news not to raise unneeded expectations.

"We want crowd at <insert track here>"
Open the track's .gp4 in GP4Builder, duplicate the objects that have the grandstand seats, change their texture to the crowd textures (usually atx_d_something.tex), change their class to CROWD, add "_FULL" at the end of the object's name, save the .gp4, recompile the .wad, you're done! :) Future tracks will all have crowd at qualifying and race, rest assured.

"Work faster!"
Yes, we know! :) That's the main thing we're trying to improve this year. Hopefully we're on the right track.

"Make changes before the start of the championship"
Hmm that's a tricky one - do you want to race on Melbourne 2015 before the 2015 Australian GP? If so, not possible. Sorry. We'll always work on a previous version of track because we don't want to guess how it will look like only to be proved wrong later. The best we can do is give a Melbourne 2015 for you to race on the weekend of the 2016 Australian GP.

"Make more F1 tracks rather than test tracks or other tracks" / "Make more non-F1 tracks as the current ones are terribly bland"
You just can't please everyone, can you? ;)

(Edited to correct spelling)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 12:58AM by Prblanco.
@kedy89: Yes, historical tracks are the best! (Y) And why do you want to work on Austin (we have already a version of 2012) and Red Bull Ring (the same layout as 2001 A1-Ring)? :-o Sochi is ok, that track should be made. Tracks like Reims-Gueux (both versions 1950 and 1960), Hockenheim 1960, Spa 1950 and 1970 as shortened versions, Circuit de Charade Clermont-Ferrand, Circuit Bremgarten, Rouen-les-Essarts and Ain-Diab, I would build them all, but I simply haven't got the time to start with it. And the next problem is that my knowledge about track building is... let me say, very bad. It would take me weeks or even months to understand what to do when starting to build a track. And I simply have not the time to do so. Ok, I have already made three or four different dat-files, but they were bad and not realistic.:( But someday, I build the tracks I wrote down above, maybe alone, maybe together with somebody else. I don't know. But my goal is that someday every historical F1 track is available for GP4 for everyone. This is my promise to this community. Maybe around 2030 I will have made it! :-)(Y)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 06:49PM by TGF1DRIVER.
Great information coming up from this survey!
However, I have a question about your WIP Monaco version...

I know you guys worked on the 2004 onwards layout for quite some time. I was really excited about
this since the current versions, despite some improvements, have some bugs.

Whatever happened to that project? Or have I missed something?

Otherwise, Im happy with whatever tracks you guys release :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
I totally support the decision to produce only the modern race circuits. We have the good old Grand Prix Legends for historical stuff with lots of tracks (and with a physical model representing the behavior of racing cars of that era):

At the same time, the most part of the former f1 circuits are still alive and active (Zolder, Imola, Brands, Estoril etc etc). For example it is very unlikely to see Buddh and Yeongam in F1 anymore, but I'm sure that these tracks must be done for GP4. Anyway thank you (and all other track creators) for your work, with your help we have pretty decent ammount of racetracks already, which is amazing. 10 years ago when I started to play this game it was hard to imagine that one day I'll have around 100 of racetracks on my hard drive :-O.
p.s. I have a dream to see a Nordschleife for gp4 someday... (O)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 10:26PM by Soutsen.
Great video! :-)(Y) But it seems to be very difficult to drive there. Too much oversteering in this game for me. :-o But is it possible to convert a GP4 cars.wad for Grand Prix Legends and to use own performance files there? "Of course not!" will be the answer I think. :(

And by the way, we have Buddh and Yeongam for GP4 already, I remember driving there! ;)(Y) And Nordschleife is too long for GP4, you can use only a 3x3 km (or a bit less) square when building tracks for GP4. And no one can change this, except SDI and Lo2k maybe. But yes, I'm sharing this dream with you. The whole Nordschleife for GP4, what a great vision, but maybe Südschleife is coming sooner. ;):-)
And no one can change this, except SDI and Lo2k maybe.
fixed :)

Ok, I'm sorry, of course ONLY SDI can change this maybe! ;)(I)
Prblanco Scritto:

> Sorry to break it to you guys, but we're not
> planning on working on historical F1 tracks, more
> on that later.

if you're not interested, this option shouldn't be considered in this survey.

Anyway it surprises me how much people wants a lot of tracks that have already been released in the past (and recently) and (still) offers quality (Mugello, Watkins Glen, Road America from drt01; Bathurst from ToJepo; Algarve and Adelaide from F1 Virtual; Zandvoort, Lausitzring from Mark & Tony; Termas de Río Hondo, Buenos Aires, Laguna Seca, Philip Island from maxi82; Jerez from xandy & others; Jacarepagua by maxi82 & Ruboy)
But i really like to hear that Sonoma is in your interest list, so i will looking foward to this.

About low/mid feedback, i could say that on mine 6 years old machine the high versions run well. So if the high version run smooth, i guess the lower version does the same.

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 05:33PM by Rot Teufel.
That was a nice survey bringing a lot of interesting informations.

I'm not going with people arguing about historic tracks and the need of adding the option in the survey, it can be a valuable information for other modders as well.
I agree with Rot Teufel about the tracks yet done and was about to say that it would be better to focus on non existing tracks to expand the offer.

Just my 2cents

Rot Teufel Wrote:
> Anyway it surprises me how much people wants a lot
> of tracks that have already been released in the
> past (and recently) and (still) offers quality
> (Mugello, Watkins Glen, Road America from drt01;
> Bathurst from ToJepo; Algarve and Adelaide from F1
> Virtual; Zandvoort, Lausitzring from Mark & Tony;
> Termas de Río Hondo, Buenos Aires, Laguna Seca,
> Philip Island from maxi82; Jerez from xandy &
> others; Jacarepagua by maxi82 & Ruboy)
> But i really like to hear that Sonoma is in your
> interest list, so i will looking foward to this.

The problem is that - no disrespect to these authors, especially as I'm also involved - some of these works do lack quality compared to an F1virtual release. Take elevation profiles for example - Phillip Island has a very archaic elevation profile, one from the early years, when the relevant workflow was not yet as accessible and clean as it is nowadays. The layout is ever-so-slightly off as well (at T2, for instance). Or Watkins Glen, which is majestic visually, drt01 did an absolutely wonderful job, but its elevation profile is outdated as well.

Regrettably, that last one is on me, I am to blame - since then I re-profiled it using the actual numbers but the new version is yet to make it into drt01's released work. I did the same with Sonoma; I released a beta version with an initial impression of the track's elevation profile, but later on, I revised it heavily after I found the correct figures to work with. That said, the circuit remains in a beta state as I'm not ready to invest in learning how to build 3D - so regarding Sonoma getting some interest from F1virtual is great news indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy