[SOLVED] Imola track visibility problem

Posted by Atticus. 
[SOLVED] Imola track visibility problem
Date: February 07, 2015 04:27PM
Posted by: Atticus.
Hi guys,

I have an extremely annoying problem.

I modified an original track (modified .dat first, used track from .dat to create objects for the new parts, then deleted those I didn't need). I exported the new files - the modified .gp4 plus the new .col and .bin files I created - to the game via Wad Updater 3.4 and...

...And, amazingly, after years of having no problems with such procedures, seemingly random elements of the track just disappeared in the game.

A list of particularities:
- The disappearing objects concern both new and untouched parts.
- On the untouched parts, they seemingly follow a strange pattern: at one 10-sector batch, it's the verges, banks, walls and stuff that's missing, then, at the next 10-sector batch, it's the track itself and even more strangely, the track sideline appears to be inverted, i. e. its edge that should be closest to the track ribbon is the farthest. This pattern repeats itself. Once it's the verges, then the track, verges, track, and so on.
- I did recreate the whole track ribbon. (This usually resolves issues when it's only the track ribbon that's disappearing.)
- I didn't delete the parts in question accidentally. They are all well and alive in GP4 Builder. The properties of the untouched objects are seemingly unchanged from those of the originals.
- The objects in question are invisible from both in-car views and the TV cam view.

As I said, I have had no such problems for years, using the same procedure.

I did make one change, however: I downloaded and associated files with GP4 Builder 1.991. I didn't like it's semi-transparent CC-line and less pronounced grey edges around objects without .tga mapping, so I reverted back to 1.912. I re-associated files with 1.912 then used it as I'd do normally. I wonder if I... kind of "snapped" or corrupted something in there. So I'm especially curious about what Lo2k can say about this whole issue I got here (if he's seen something similar, stuff like that).

I'm willing to provide more info, if necessary, I may even PM the track to those interested (it's the classic Imola layout in the original 2001 environment).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 05:46PM by Atticus..
Re: Track visibility problem
Date: February 07, 2015 05:03PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Is this the first time you made a modification using the original Imola as a base?

Its graphical file is different from all other tracks, because it contains various versions of the same object, depending on viewing distance, called LODs. These LODs are referenced to each other using their object ID numbers, so any modification you have done to the object list might have disturbed those references, causing all kinds of graphical glitches.

You can manually break those references using the "Convert Lods in Objects" option in the Action menu. Afterwards you can delete the LOD objects as they won't be of any use.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: February 07, 2015 05:07PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
When you open the graphics options, do you have the 3 thingys on the bottom left all set to "high"?

Also, in column 2, on the top above the frame rate, you have to set this to "all objects"

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Date: February 07, 2015 05:28PM
@Prblanco: Yes, I've noticed those LODs too. My guess is - also taking into account that the graphics test runs at Imola - this was probably the first track the team built early on and they've tested various things out in Imola.

Your explanation makes perfect sense as yes, this is the first time I use Imola as a base (practically). I will now try your suggestion, my hunch is that it'll work.

@miki2000milos: Nope, texture detail is on medium, but that was not an issue before. I will set it to high and try it out if Prblanco's suggestion will not work.

Thanks for the quick and constructive responses from both of you. :-)
Date: February 07, 2015 05:45PM
@Prblanco: Yep, that was it, all objects are present now. I do have some flickering, but I'll then proceed to delete the lower lods now.

In the meantime, I've found the respective entry in the user guide as well. I did looked at it before, but used wrong keywords. I was inches from the solution, lol. I now understand the mechanism of the convert LODs command as well.

So a huge thank you again for the quick solution. :-)
Date: February 07, 2015 06:01PM
Posted by: GPGSL
Good to hear. Looking forward to drive the classic Imola layout in the original 2001 environment.

Date: February 07, 2015 06:24PM
Well, I'd happily release it (I'd be even more happy, and proud, if it'd be included in the GPGSL calendar), but it does use most of the original textures and shapes and I'm not sure if the copyright policy of this site allows it.

I've made the classic layout of most of the original tracks in this 'old layout in original setting' format (Spa, Monza, Monaco, Suzuka, to name a few), and they are quite accurate, I've just not published them due to these restrictions on not scratch-built content.
Re: [SOLVED] Imola track visibility problem
Date: February 07, 2015 10:15PM
Posted by: kedy89
I think that refers to Codies conversions. Using things from the original GP4 shouldn't be a problem at all. Drop Mal a pm if you want to be sure.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: February 08, 2015 12:29AM
Ah, I see. Thanks, will do.
Date: February 11, 2015 09:33PM
OK, guys, it's got the green light.

So basically, as I said, it's just the .dat and related graphical parts that are different from the core 2001 track (so no HD textures, or garage updates, etc.). As for the .dat, it restores the original 1952-1972 Imola layout. That means the classic run from the start/finish straight through Tamburello up to Tosa, an Acque Minerali which runs deeper, closer to the outside fences, an infinitely trickier Rivazza and no Variante Alta or Variante Bassa.

As I said I similarly restored some long gone challenges to other classic GP4 tracks as well, keeping the original 2001 environment. Namely Monaco, Spa, Monza, Hockenheim and Suzuka (where the modified .dat could fit in the original graphics and the circuit is built before 1970).

Some of these tracks, I've already made betas of, or used drt01's modified graphics sets. The reason I re-did them is plain simple: even more accuracy. As I knew the .dat fence borders are extremely precise (see e. g. the Geoff interview about GPS data), knowing where, compared to these fences, the classic layouts ran, yielded a bit better results in terms of realism than those I did a few years ago.

The full list of layout changes is as follows:
- Monaco: a faster turn on an unobstructed Ste Devote, old Chicane and a run on the upper promenade down to Gazometre, instead of the Swimming Pool section. (1929-1972 layout.)
- Spa: slightly more pronounced curves at Eau Rouge, no Bus Stop. (1979-1980 layout.)
- Monza: wide start/finish straight, no Rettifilo, relocated Curva Grande, no Variante della Roggia, relocated Lesmos, Vialone instead of Ascari, narrower back straight. (1955-1969 layout.)
- Hockenheim: no Clark and Senna chicanes, restored Ostkurve. (1966-1967 layout.)
- Imola: classic run from Tamburello to Tosa, an Acque Minerali which runs deeper, closer to the outside fences, an infinitely trickier Rivazza and no Variante Alta or Variante Bassa. (1952-1972 layout.)
- Suzuka: one constant radius for Degner, no Casio Triangle. (1962-1982 layout.)

So now just let me know if you guys wish to race on some of these and I'll upload them in the next couple of days/weeks.
Date: February 11, 2015 10:31PM
Posted by: kedy89
Nice (H)

I'd like to race on all of them, pretty please :)

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: February 11, 2015 10:42PM
Posted by: TomMK
Yes please!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 11, 2015 10:57PM
Posted by: nhorry
Yes, please!!!

VĂ¡rom nagyon!!!
Date: February 14, 2015 12:49PM
Posted by: ofarwest
very good idea!
Date: February 14, 2015 05:12PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Yes please!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: February 14, 2015 07:05PM
Posted by: Briere
Add me to the yaysayers :)
Date: February 15, 2015 04:39PM
Posted by: raceheart
me too, please :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy