Alarming news for G1 modding

Posted by SchueyFan 
Re: Alarming news for F1 modding
Date: May 02, 2014 01:18AM
Posted by: mortal
I'll post in news home page tonight.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 02, 2014 02:23AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
If argue that the Codies cars are not the issue. It is the development of cars full-stop.

I'd suggest we keep out heads low over the next few weeks.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: May 02, 2014 04:27AM
Posted by: Mullet345
Good thinking Mal.

Date: May 02, 2014 05:18AM
I have posted a news item to the home page.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 02, 2014 05:55AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Good decision Mal. At least that's one thing they won't be able to use against us.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 02, 2014 11:22AM
Posted by: TomMK
Ferrari2007
If argue that the Codies cars are not the issue. It is the development of cars full-stop.

I'd suggest we keep out heads low over the next few weeks.

This.

The lawyers will come after us (if they come at all) for distributing F1 content, not Codemasters' content.

I will hold out until then. Although I have removed some content from the site today at the request of the author.

So which series are we going to support instead if this happens? ;)

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: May 02, 2014 11:40AM
Posted by: shlund
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll make an exucutive decision and say that from
> now on this site will not permit any Codemasters
> or rFactor from Codemasters conversion links.
> Scratch-built....fine.

(Y)(Y)(Y):-)
Date: May 02, 2014 11:53AM
What we need to do is restrict the sharing of public links for a while.

I hate to suggest it, because it goes against everything that we try and do here, but I think it's a measure that needs to be introduced, at least for now until this @#$%& storm has blown over. It'd be for the good of the site.

I'd also suggest that any mods are intelligently renamed for the time being. That's a way that I've seen some of the BTCC mods make it around TOCA's attempts at censorship.

Date: May 02, 2014 12:25PM
This site does not host any actual F1 mods. Not only that, the site is not responsible for the content that is posted; ie: links. The site is a discussion platform, and the site owners cannot possibly be expected to read every single post that goes up. If this site is hit with legal notices/threats etc. to remove content, we would be unable to comply as there is no content. We may host some add-ons, however the majority of these are solely developed and not copies.
If users of this site choose to post copyrighted content there is little we can do, other than to ask them not to do so, which is what I have done.
The site has taken a precautionary measure under the circumstances.
I personally have no idea wether or not mods discussed on this site are copies of copyrighted work or are scratch-built by 3d modders. Ignorance is bliss right now.
In the meantime, there are plenty of other sites that actually do host/serve F1 mods, a Google search confirms this fact. There will be more news, I'm sure of it.

Date: May 02, 2014 02:17PM
This action has been brought on by FOM. It is about the F1 trademark. Given that there are rumours that F1 is to be sold, a tightening of the trademark and copyright over said trademark is good business practice. If you want to release a mod, don't use F1 in the header.
I fail to see how any action by FOM over the use of the word F1 can get any legs in court, given that there have already been a number of cases over its use which have subsequently failed. An Australian trucking company F1Logistics fought FOM and won.
The cars and the logos, and the names of the drivers displayed on them belong to the teams, not to FOM. The use of this has been licensed to Codemasters, therefore it could be seen that Codemasters has a vested interest ensuring that no-one else produces a sim for another gaming platform whilst they are paying license fees. Never mind that the product is crap by all accounts, it comes down to protection of intellectual property and the money, paid out to F1 and the potential loss of earnings by Codemasters having its product running on another platform.
So, to sum up, having said that the cars, logos etc, belong to the teams, I do not see a problem with releasing a likeness mod on the proviso it does not contain the word F1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 02:27PM by mortal.
Date: May 02, 2014 03:03PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Just use F! as alternative name. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: May 02, 2014 03:13PM
Posted by: Carlitox
mortal
So, to sum up, having said that the cars, logos etc, belong to the teams, I do not see a problem with releasing a likeness mod on the proviso it does not contain the word F1.

Exactly my thoughts. For instance, release a mod as "2013 season" and post some screenies. The rest is self-explanatory. (Y)
If you are to release a single car, then only post the name of the car, unless Red Bull starts chasing our heads too. :-)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 02, 2014 03:30PM
Posted by: airjimracing
I wouldn't be too concerned yet. This should blow over like the music or movie sharing.

For us older guys, remember when we listened to our beat boxes waiting for that favourite song to come on the radio?

When it finally came on, we would tape it and then copy it with our "high speed dubbing" and share it. Je je... good old days.

The problem now is that sharing has turned into mass scale!

There's nothing wrong with sharing.

The law will never be passed against sharing. Just have to make sure it's not lucrative.

GP4 Forever!
Date: May 02, 2014 03:44PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
wow that's a bad news. Not that it sounds unexpected to me with TMs being involved. By the few legal knowledge I have, it is a wider matter than it seems. It's not only about the F1 brand (which could be seen as a connection to their official game) but also each team's/furniture's brand. Ferrari in example is the most active on hunting down anybody using their name/logo. From browser games, to fan pages to unauthorized fan clubs, down to random dudes talking about ferrari in a pub with a friend, commercial or not.

Dunno what to think, it depends on how much they wanna hurt themselves at this stage. Can expect an avalanche once the first sue goes on goal or expect nothing serious to happen. As long as expòlicit conversions are avoided, pay-for-mods requests are not being raised or gpg doesn't cross any similar pattern from any brand (see by example an hypotetical official RedBull game...), this community should be fine.

Just hold tight and thanks all modders for keeping Gp2/Gp3/Gp4 alive :)
I already punched my keyboard to remove the first 3 function keys just in case. I hope I never need to open a guide from now on :-)

-------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 03:46PM by R_Scandura.
Re: Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: May 02, 2014 04:43PM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Just came across this thread today :( very sad to hear :(
Trademarks and copyright is a hard area...
Putting it in simple terms, if it's the FOM's F1 trademarks and copyright then I think that covers everything with the name F1, Formula 1 or Formula One and its content coving from 1950 to 2014 and beyond.
Team Names, Engine Names and Event logos are seperate companies that have their own trademarks and copyright laws, which is fine to use on their own (unless they say otherwise), but using them within the contents of FOM's F1 trademarks and copyright, then you can't :( Same rule applies with the Driver Names and their helmet designs, ok to use out of F1 but not within :(
Team and Driver logos are part of the Teams own contract rights and are not part of the F1 trademarks and copyright.
EXAMPLE: So you can't build a Red Bull carshape from 2014 with all the body colours, logos, driver helmets, Team & Driver Names on it, because it's the complete package and that's within the FOM's F1 trademarks and copyright, but building a carshape that is not completely the same (slightly different body colours, logo names, driver helmets, Team & Driver Names) then it's ok to use. It's the event logos around circuits that puts them within the FOM law, the circuit layouts are ok :) Funny isn't it
I hate copyright laws ... :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 09:51PM by Flash Formula.
Date: May 02, 2014 08:33PM
Posted by: neldav03
Date: May 02, 2014 08:50PM
Posted by: JasonJarvis1988
neldav03 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [twitter.com]
> 31486464

Not good at all.
Date: May 02, 2014 09:20PM
Let's hope no one is stupid enough to point them this way.

Date: May 03, 2014 12:09AM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
I notice one comment thread, which talks about mods at one stage, on a post to Codies' FB page. This action is well-timed to suggest that Codies have reacted to said comment thread.

In any case, Codies = enemy :(

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: May 03, 2014 12:56AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
I don't think FOM and Codie look so hard on internet and get this GPG site to not publish the season content.

I think they put a warning to virtualr.net and this owner simply delete the content.

I don't think that FOM get too hard on them.

I LOVE GP4, but I don't think that this strict community (I'm not saying this with pessimistic ideal, our community compared to other games is not so big, unfortunately, this can be prove that most of us already know most lovers of this game by the name), so I don't think FOM will send a warning to Mal or other community owner to get off a specific content.

:-) (Y) For our passion we will get this game live! Only for the mods we still have a such GREAT community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy