Alarming news for G1 modding

Posted by SchueyFan 
Re: Alarming news for F1 modding
Date: May 01, 2014 08:37AM
Posted by: JJPD
And if Codemasters is really behind on this scene then they will definitely never get any single penny from me for giving me a half-cooked F1 game of theirs like their latest 2013 game. It's really a half-cooked game with a very crappy physics. I even relied on using F1 mods from GP4 and rFactor just to enjoy the real F1 game in action. Besides I'm now starting to dislike F1 today and the management as well for giving less entertaining races and frequent rule changes season after season.
Date: May 01, 2014 10:37AM
Posted by: Ripping Corpse
......This story happens, most likely, the rights acquired by codemasters, which has an official game, which pays well and acquired rights to the FIA​​.
In which he sees a huge shadow on gp4, because of conversions, not authorized, it causes legal reactions, I do not believe that the gp4 end, but some people should be more careful with the conversions, with regard to copyright.
I'm not fan of their game, never will be ...

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Re: Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: May 01, 2014 01:47PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
Indeed, conversions from such games are tricky and I already felt in the past that people took and converted those cars too easily. In such cases, there is undoubtedly a legal issue since actual content is taken from businesses like Codemasters. And I fully understand that conversions could and possibly should be banned. But when a modder builds a car alone, from scratch, then that's a different topic in my opinion.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 09:44PM by JohnMaverick.
Date: May 01, 2014 02:03PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Ripping Corpse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......This story happens, most likely, the rights
> acquired by codemasters, which has an official
> game, which pays well and acquired rights to the
> FIA​​.
> In which he sees a huge shadow on gp4, because of
> conversions, not authorized, it causes legal
> reactions, I do not believe that the gp4 end, but
> some people should be more careful with the
> conversions, with regard to copyright.
> I'm not fan of their game, never will be ...

I agree Pedro, but how much people you think actualy play Gp4 and download the latests updates in recent years?
If i had to answer no more than 7000 Gp4 fans at best ... i base this answer looking at statistics of downloads
of works that i created and saw from other modders in the community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 02:04PM by jcaranti.
Date: May 01, 2014 02:35PM
Posted by: Rot Teufel
uhm... that was expected, but honestly not today... that's a really low kick...
Before this Enduracers mod team were hit from VW Group about their Porsche Supercup mod.

If after Bernie and FIA, there's both Codemasters, well, they did wrong... even Codie F1 is modded... so why give itself the hoe on its foot? A game without mods, third parties enanches is a dead game...
What i'm worried about it's if even past F1 related content from mods (such as screens and tracks, minor series, past seasons) will be restricted too? I'm a bit worried about... Expecially beacause since 2013 version, Codie show some past F1 cars...

because remember, there no better advertise than free one...

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

Date: May 01, 2014 03:22PM
Posted by: shlund
JohnMaverick Wrote:
> Indeed, conversions from such games are tricky and
> I already felt in the past that people took and
> converted those cars too easily. In such cases,
> there is undoubtedly a legal issue since actual
> content is taken from businesses like Codemasters.
> And I fully understand that conversions could and
> possibly should be banned. But when a modder
> builds a car alone, from scratch, then that's a
> different topic in my opinion.

I agree and think that in future most work has to be done from scratch, then there is hopefully no problem with licence or similar :)
Date: May 01, 2014 04:08PM
Posted by: SakuMiku
While this news is somewhat shocking, I'm going to back Codies just for a moment if they are the party involved. Modders are wonderful, but the way to see it is it's a hobby for them, make hlthe mod free with no payment in return. Codies, its business... a living for them. They pay a hell of a lot for the official license & must make money based upon that. If it doesn't sell, they make a loss. Its exactly similar to what EA & the Fifa game did to Konami's Pro Evo. Take away the German league, exclusively license leagues & stadia so they can't use it...ultimitely disable the competition. While modders aren't 'competition' exactly, they are affecting sales I guess. But it is a 2-way street. If codies made a better game (regards to physics & damage model etc.), then I guess sales would improve. I'm sure they'll make some cash on Grid Autosport, but their F1 game really needs to improve. Although it could always just be FOM showing a degree of their power to show they are still a strong force. After all, there was no official A1GP game yet that project was told to be stopped, yes? Same with BTCC I believe

A Scotsman in Indonesia. A fan of the Far East & all their drivers & an advocate of women in motorsport / GPGNC - S3: Team Philippines, S4/S5: Team Japan, S6: Team Indonesia (S6 runner-up)
Date: May 01, 2014 04:27PM
Posted by: gezere
SkaaningeN écrivait:
> Isaint Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I too think that codemasters is behind this
> > ....... Money again ... nothing is for free.
> > Certain countries are so desperate for money
> they
> > need every penny from every avenue. This is
> forced
> > purchase if we want any F1 content we have to
> pay
> > for it from the 'Licenced only' providers
> ......
> > CODEMASTERS. I personally will never buy a
> > CodeMasters game end of story .
> > As far as the community is concerned I'm all
> for
> > going underground. Failing that ..... just have
> to
> > get F1 out of my blood by buying some 'Beat em
> Up
> > Games!!'
> >
> > Indy is always an option ............
>
> I'll walk aboard your boat Lez, never felt that
> Codemasters made an F1 game that accually feels
> like
> and F1 game! GP4, and accually F1 Challenge, felt
> and still feels like real F1 games. Why is that
> concept left behind?
> If they continued on the path that EA Sports and
> Geoff Crammond did, we would have had much better
> F1 games today.
> There is a reason why we in this community still
> goes for GP4! GP4 is still a better F1 game than
> any of the Codemasters ones so far.
>
> If they want/need money, then make a better game!
>
> Im also all for going underground and keep GP4
> alive!
> As for IndyCar.. to be honest, that series is more
> impressive than F1 right now in my eyes. Maybe I
> should start follow it more

Agree!!! Can't see how codemaster could not be behing that. They are killing their own community of modders by restricting them....
That's a way.... Surely not the good one for the long term. But they don't care about long term.
Their only interested is to sell a maximum of copy of the next F1 201x opus...
So they need also to try to kill the others communities (GP4, rfactor, etc ....) which are even stronger , because,
helped by some Tools developped by some genious, we are able to convert/edit the very large majority of the 3D contents of their games.
They don't like that... Is it a surprise?

Date: May 01, 2014 05:06PM
Posted by: Excalibur
shlund écrivait:
> JohnMaverick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Indeed, conversions from such games are tricky
> and
> > I already felt in the past that people took and
> > converted those cars too easily. In such cases,
> > there is undoubtedly a legal issue since actual
> > content is taken from businesses like
> Codemasters.
> > And I fully understand that conversions could
> and
> > possibly should be banned. But when a modder
> > builds a car alone, from scratch, then that's a
> > different topic in my opinion.
>
>
> I agree and think that in future most work has to
> be done from scratch, then there is hopefully no
> problem with licence or similar :)

I think you don't understand.They don't want the image of F1 (it means cars, sponsors, trademarks, names, logos, constructors etc..) be used in f1 mods. That's why they want to ban f1 mods, whatever the car is made from scratch or not.... It is not only a matter of conversion but of F1 licence and rights and it concerns the reproduction, too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 05:09PM by Excalibur.
Re: Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: May 01, 2014 05:09PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
gezere schrieb:
> So they need also to try to kill the others
> communities (GP4, rfactor, etc ....) which are
> even stronger , because,
> helped by some Tools developped by some genious,
> we are able to convert/edit the very large
> majority of the 3D contents of their games.
> They don't like that... Is it a surprise?

Once again, while I agree that if Codemasters made a better game, they'd sell their copies better, I cannot help but disagree with the tendency of 'stealing' content by converting cars from actual games. Remember how big a discussion starts here every time somebody releases a mod without giving proper credits? All the creators go mad then, and rightly so. But Codies, or any other content creator, has the same rights and they have also every right to try and prevent other people stealing from them. THIS is what has to be prevented.

Where I disagree with them is that non-commercial from-scratch work shall be that much a copyright infringement. But conversion works shouldn't be done anymore.

And I understand that the are after more than only the conversions. They want to make a sweeping blow. My point is that conversions are the area where they will have the most success and rightly so. A from-scratch built car can be subtly changed here and there and by doing so falls out of the original copyright.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 09:44PM by JohnMaverick.
Date: May 01, 2014 05:27PM
Posted by: Monza972
I read about this the other day. It would be an utter utter shame if this were to hit this site or any other modding site.

This is what we do, we love Formula 1 this much to improve on old games, enhance them as well as our own skills. This site has produced so many skilled modders in the past 8 years or so I've been on this site and to stifle them would be a great shame.

However, once again, money talks :(
Date: May 01, 2014 06:56PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Does all this come from those same guys who put their nose on the front of their cars ?

Monkey Business !

Jokes aside, Formula One is a trade mark and so, they have to protect it.
Where they are wrong is that, in the actual case, they are going against individual moders doing their hobby for free and not professional, commercial companies doing it for money.

I think they will lose a part of their fans by going that way. Which is probably not what they wanted to do at the first place.

Date: May 01, 2014 07:12PM
Posted by: quickslick
what i don't understand is, that it's just happens at this time and not much earlier, because the games are modded already for a few years and not only since one week. Maybe we'll never know the reasons
Date: May 01, 2014 07:37PM
Posted by: Carlitox
I am with John here. I'll admit that I'm being quite a hypocrit, since I have a conversion of Codemaster's 2012 and 2013 games for rF, but given the recent events, I'll surely erase them and never play anymore. There are other alternatives, like team RMT, whose mods since 2008 have been staggering, and made from nothing.

As for GP4, I love FSONE or CTDP's mods, also made from scratch. And if you ask me, better physics than any modern game.

The thing is, they don't want us to mod their game, no matter how good it is. They don't want it to live forever like GPx, like F1C, like rFactor. They want us to buy a game, with room for improvement (which they know there is), and then ditch it a year later for a new, barely improved one. So that they make 30 more pounds for each of us.

If a game lives forever, it may be loved but not profitable. And it's all about profit.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 01, 2014 07:55PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
"Money talks, bulls**t walks"
Quote from Forza Minardi, my bible if you so please ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: May 01, 2014 11:25PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Horrible news...but we will survive one way or another.
Date: May 02, 2014 12:13AM
Posted by: mortal
I'll make an exucutive decision and say that from now on this site will not permit any Codemasters or rFactor from Codemasters conversion links. Scratch-built....fine.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 02, 2014 12:30AM
Posted by: Briere
Good idea Mal I aprove (Y)
Date: May 02, 2014 12:44AM
Posted by: JasonJarvis1988
(Y) I agree! A good move!
Date: May 02, 2014 12:58AM
Posted by: Excalibur
Ok, Mal. So, we can release scratsh-built F1 cars with real names, logos, sponsors, colours etc, right?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 03:15AM by Excalibur.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy