Oh No, Not Another F1-2002 Thread

Posted by Zcott 
Oh No, Not Another F1-2002 Thread
Date: June 06, 2002 12:00PM
Posted by: Zcott
I spent most of last night downloading the WIP F1-2002 demo. Has anyone else tried it? I thought it was a bit crap, really. There was plenty of detail (launch control, manual overriding, manual pitlane speed limiter, detailed dashboard views, etc) but it looked a bit crap. I set all the graphics to maximum on 1024x786, and it looked awful, and felt awful, too. There wasn't much grip, which is quite odd considering Rubens said not long ago that the 2002 tyres have as much grip as the '97 slicks.

Hopefully the real thing will be much better. And from what I've seen of GP4, it'll be even better than F1-2002 ;-)
Re: Oh No, Not Another F1-2002 Thread
Date: June 07, 2002 09:12AM
Posted by: Glyn
One area the GP series excells in is the feeling of grip. Ive yet to find another game that gives this impression, expically from the rear of the car.

But I personally didnt think F1 2002 was all that bad really. They are getting better. It will be interesting to see what the FIA GT modders at Simbin can do with it.

Date: June 07, 2002 11:15AM
Posted by: Ellis
"One area the GP series excells in is the feeling of grip"

thats the on rails feeling that gives you that :P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 07, 2002 12:44PM
Posted by: _Alex_
But I personally didnt think F1 2002 was all that bad really. They are getting better

I agree. I too downloaded the WIP demo last night Zcott, and I was quite impressed, and surprised at how it wasn't appallingly bad. I thought the sound was very good actually, but the cars reacted strangely in some circumstances. EA still need to do alot of work to get the driving physics on par with the GP series. Gp4 will still be better IMO.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 07, 2002 01:59PM
Posted by: matthewp
thing is people who've played Crammonds games for years (like I had) are bound to find the handling strange when they play another F1 game. at first I wasn't sure about the F1 2001 physics but after a while I loved it and i've only played Gp3 once since then and it just felt horrible, its painfully slow for a start, I hope Gp4 has a better sensation of speed.
Date: June 07, 2002 02:01PM
Posted by: chris
I suppose you could turn your point around there and say that because you have played ea for so long another f1 game would feel strange...but I'm not that petty.

Chris J

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 07, 2002 04:48PM
Posted by: LS.
give easports a few years to tweak it and they'll deliver

just look at the latest in the fifa series, the first one's were shite, but now they are fantastic

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 07, 2002 05:02PM
Posted by: matthewp
you could say that qwerty, but I had only been playing F1 2001 for a few days so its not quite the same
Date: June 08, 2002 02:10AM
that's why I wasnt saying that ;)

Date: June 08, 2002 04:35AM
The full version of F1 2002 is much better than the demo. They have sorted a lot of stuff out, and the physics are even better now. It still acts strange sometimes, and you cant have a decent battle with the AI because they seem to ignor the fact you are there.

Date: June 08, 2002 05:36AM
Posted by: Ellis
"you cant have a decent battle with the AI because they seem to ignor the fact you are there."

not much of a sim then? Why have a racing game where really you dont battle in the race? Thats kinda disappointing

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 08, 2002 06:39AM
That's where Gp3 wins, and where Gp4 will win. You can have fantastic battles with the AI cars, because they have a high degree of intelligence.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 08, 2002 06:46AM
dammit, they outsmart me the whole time...

Date: June 08, 2002 07:07AM
The one thing I didn't like about the demo is that on auto gears, the car will insist on not changing down. I'll be turning into tight corners in fourth gear, and the car will shift down on acceleration out of the corner. Odd.
Date: June 08, 2002 09:40AM
Use manual! It makes it approximately 3.27 billion times easier/more fun!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 08, 2002 11:45AM
I can't use manual!

The paddles on the back of my wheel that I use for accelerating and braking were great, because I could use the two buttons on the front for gears. But the brake paddle broke, so I'm using the buttons for acceleration and braking. So it's onto automatic for me! :((
Date: June 08, 2002 12:22PM
The one thing I didn't like about the demo is that on auto gears, the car will insist on not changing down. I'll be turning into tight corners in fourth gear, and the car will shift down on acceleration out of the corner. Odd.

I noticed this too. Also when exiting a corner it wouldnt change up if the traction control was working, even if it was barly working. Very annoying.

You'll be glad to hear though that both these issues have been fixed in the full version.

Date: June 08, 2002 03:04PM
Sounds good. I still won't be buying it, though. I would if I had money, but I don't!
Date: June 08, 2002 05:34PM
Posted by: Vader
In the german review of GP4 (GameStar) they said the AI was not THAT good. The cars always stick to the ideal line and do not react like real cars. They said F1 2002 was better in this respect. That was another reason why EA got one % more than GC.
On the other hand, these magazin writers may just know f*ck about F1, who knows ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 09, 2002 02:46AM
On the other hand, these magazin writers may just know f*ck about F1, who knows ...

I think that's a slightly more reasonable explanation - I say this because the AI cars on the demo of F1 2002 don't actually have AI. They are awful. Maybe they have improved it for the finished version, but I can't imagine EA's efforts can match Grand Prix 4.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy