> laptimes at Barcelona.
>
> I have installed a fresh version of the 1997
> version of the track to play around with. However,
> I need a little help on the modifications I need
> to make to the magic data. I want an increase of
> about a second a lap for the AI to make them more
> competitive. Can you give me any advice on the
> factors that need changing and by how much?
>
> Thanks

Better to edit the AI grip and power levels for the various difficulty levels, Pro, Ace etc, as boosting only the track grip will make you faster too. They are usually around 450-500, if you play on Ace, raise the grip value by say 10, it should find you that second..

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Re: Magic Data Discussion
Date: September 10, 2019 09:20AM
Posted by: Soutsen
Ah, missed that he wants them to be more competitive, not just faster. Changing grip/power values for the difficulty levels makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 09:21AM by Soutsen.
Date: September 10, 2019 12:08PM
Posted by: schu4ever
Hello

Thanks for coming to the party guys!

I think salvasirignano is right - boosting track grip will make me faster too and the problem will remain. I think I will adjust the power and grip levels for the AI at each difficulty level and see how that goes.

One thing I would like to know though is what are the purposes of the AI Grip and AI Race Performance values? It would be good to know what these do.

Has anyone got any ideas??
Date: September 11, 2019 12:07PM
Posted by: Soutsen
Dunno if useful, but from looking at these I'm guessing that the faster circuits need to have less difference in fuel consumption between the player and AI.

At least at Monza, Spa, Hockenheim and Sepang player's fuel consumption is only 180-966 higher. Dunno why the difference at Magny-Cours and Silverstone is higher than at Hungaroring though.

Maybe this difference is connected to how the game is operating with the car acceleration. I guess it is discretive - like "1" (button "A" or whatever else you use for acceleration pressed) and "0" (button "A" not pressed) for the player, while cpu have their cars accelerated more realistic. Or maybe I'm saying rubbish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 12:17PM by Soutsen.
Date: May 26, 2021 02:06AM
Posted by: TheFueleffect
Soutsen
At least at Monza, Spa, Hockenheim and Sepang player's fuel consumption is only 180-966 higher. Dunno why the difference at Magny-Cours and Silverstone is higher than at Hungaroring though.

Maybe this difference is connected to how the game is operating with the car acceleration. I guess it is discretive - like "1" (button "A" or whatever else you use for acceleration pressed) and "0" (button "A" not pressed) for the player, while cpu have their cars accelerated more realistic. Or maybe I'm saying rubbish.

The player's engine model might be a little different from the AI engine model, but I don't know exactly in what way. Fuel consumption is probably modeled as a function of engine position and throttle position. Engine speed affects both the player's and the AI fuel consumption (computer-controlled cars with 7 gears consume slightly more fuel than those with only 6 gears). My guess is that the player's car's fuel consumption depends on throttle position as well, whereas the AI solely depends on engine speed. This would explain why fuel consumption is almost the same at high-speed tracks, but different at twistier tracks. Another possibility may be that at least in the hot-seat mode the AI seem to have a different (possibly flat, or at least less peaky) torque curve. If fuel consumption is a function of engine speed and torque (or simply put, power), then this might explain why the AI have higher fuel consumption, at least at lower revs.
Date: June 23, 2021 12:37PM
Posted by: asdqweyuk
there is something strange about magic data.

which number is randomizing ai cars max speed?

guys, i use Performance file 880bhp all cars and 16480 grip for all drivers, 0 variance and 0 failure for all.

than, at qualify, all ai cars max speed must be same, isnt it?

at Monza Oval is saw interesting thing when i test it. (this monza oval [www.grandprixgames.org])

one of md3, everything is ok, maximum speed of ai cars are same:

2 ; Front wing [CC dry setup]
1 ; Rear wing
33 ; 1st gear
39 ; 2nd
45 ; 3rd
50 ; 4th
57 ; 5th
62 ; 6th
6 ; Front wing [CC wet setup]
5 ; Rear wing
30 ; 1st gear
36 ; 2nd
42 ; 3rd
49 ; 4th
55 ; 5th
59 ; 6th
2 ; Front wing [Player dry setup]
1 ; Rear wing
33 ; 1st gear
39 ; 2nd
45 ; 3rd
50 ; 4th
57 ; 5th
62 ; 6th
5725 ; Dry brake balance
6 ; Front wing [Player wet setup]
5 ; Rear wing
30 ; 1st gear
36 ; 2nd
42 ; 3rd
49 ; 4th
56 ; 5th
60 ; 6th
5775 ; Wet brake balance
53 ; Softer tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
52 ; Harder tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
100 ; >= 50 AI chooses softer tyre, otherwise harder
16384 ;
16384 ;
16384 ;
16384 ;
14730 ; Track grip
16384 ;
16384 ;
22 ; CC Drag - top speed only affected, minimal effect in corners / acceleration? (17 - 31)
985 ; Player-only downforce, and drag
16383 ; Engine power output - e.g. altitude simulation? Affects acceleration. air pressure.
6394 ; fuel (kg/lap*2979 for 1.0 lap worth of fuel)-see also desc70/71
512 ; Slipstream? A distance in feet that is subtracted from the distance between 2 cars, then compared to the speed(?) of one of the behind car, and if the speed is less, something is triggered. Player only.
15365 ; Player tyre wear factor - see also desc72
64768 ; CC aggressiveness (aka Braking Range) min - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50 (added to car.field_108. related to cc grip factor, 32768 low, 65536 & 0 mid, 32767 high)
576 ; CC aggressiveness finetune (aka Braking Range) max - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50
525 ; [Ace] CC power factor
496 ; [Ace] CC grip factor
495 ; [Pro] CC power factor
482 ; [Pro] CC grip factor pro
481 ; [Semi-Pro] CC power factor
475 ; [Semi-Pro] CC grip factor
469 ; [Amateur] CC power factor
464 ; [Amateur] CC grip factor
466 ; [Rookie] CC power factor
353 ; [Rookie] CC grip factor
1 ; CC random performance range min
1 ; CC random performance range max
85 ; CC error chance (some chance. same chance multiplied with race perc.)- now configurable in GPxPatch 4.52
4 ; CC recovery sectors -spin recovery range (segment count, range 1 to 256, nr of sectors checked by cc after spin)

but another md3, this one, all ai car maximum speeds are different!? some one around 330km, other 420, others 360, another 380 etc... it is completely random.

1 ; Front wing [CC dry setup]
1 ; Rear wing
33 ; 1st gear
39 ; 2nd
45 ; 3rd
50 ; 4th
57 ; 5th
80 ; 6th
6 ; Front wing [CC wet setup]
5 ; Rear wing
30 ; 1st gear
36 ; 2nd
42 ; 3rd
49 ; 4th
55 ; 5th
80 ; 6th
1 ; Front wing [Player dry setup]
1 ; Rear wing
33 ; 1st gear
39 ; 2nd
45 ; 3rd
50 ; 4th
57 ; 5th
80 ; 6th
5725 ; Dry brake balance
6 ; Front wing [Player wet setup]
5 ; Rear wing
30 ; 1st gear
36 ; 2nd
42 ; 3rd
49 ; 4th
56 ; 5th
80 ; 6th
5775 ; Wet brake balance
53 ; Softer tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
52 ; Harder tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
100 ; >= 50 AI chooses softer tyre, otherwise harder
16384 ;
16384 ;
16384 ;
16384 ;
17980 ; Track grip
16384 ;
16384 ;
22 ; CC Drag - top speed only affected, minimal effect in corners / acceleration? (17 - 31)
700 ; Player-only downforce, and drag
17383 ; Engine power output - e.g. altitude simulation? Affects acceleration. air pressure.
6394 ; fuel (kg/lap*2979 for 1.0 lap worth of fuel)-see also desc70/71
512 ; Slipstream? A distance in feet that is subtracted from the distance between 2 cars, then compared to the speed(?) of one of the behind car, and if the speed is less, something is triggered. Player only.
15365 ; Player tyre wear factor - see also desc72
64768 ; CC aggressiveness (aka Braking Range) min - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50 (added to car.field_108. related to cc grip factor, 32768 low, 65536 & 0 mid, 32767 high)
576 ; CC aggressiveness finetune (aka Braking Range) max - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50
530 ; [Ace] CC power factor
500 ; [Ace] CC grip factor
420 ; [Pro] CC power factor
500 ; [Pro] CC grip factor pro
481 ; [Semi-Pro] CC power factor
475 ; [Semi-Pro] CC grip factor
469 ; [Amateur] CC power factor
464 ; [Amateur] CC grip factor
520 ; [Rookie] CC power factor
320 ; [Rookie] CC grip factor
1 ; CC random performance range min
1 ; CC random performance range max
85 ; CC error chance (some chance. same chance multiplied with race perc.)- now configurable in GPxPatch 4.52
4 ; CC recovery sectors -spin recovery range (segment count, range 1 to 256, nr of sectors checked by cc after spin)

i dont send other parts of md3's because all of them are same. any difference. than they cant be responsible from it.

and you can see both md3 has same CC random performance range min-max.

note that, i test at rookie level.

than, what is responsible for this interesting max speed difference?
Date: June 23, 2021 01:39PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Rear wing setting is slightly randomized for cc-cars, but I have no idea how exactly GP4 does that, or if we can influence that in any way.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: June 23, 2021 01:56PM
Prblanco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rear wing setting is slightly randomized for
> cc-cars, but I have no idea how exactly GP4 does
> that, or if we can influence that in any way.

in this example mate, rear wings settings are same too, both md3 has 1 for ai cars. and i forgot to said, slipstream is closed too. i suspected engine power output but there is no logic for randomizing with it too.
Date: June 23, 2021 02:26PM
What I meant is that GP4 randomizes the rear wing values from the magic data, sorry if I wasn't clear. So even if the magic data says 1, some cars may have 2 or 3 for example.

Date: June 23, 2021 03:36PM
Prblanco Wrote:
> What I meant is that GP4 randomizes the rear wing
> values from the magic data, sorry if I wasn't
> clear. So even if the magic data says 1, some cars
> may have 2 or 3 for example.

i didnt know this. thank you for warning about it.
Date: August 23, 2021 04:59PM
More findings from my GP4.exe investigation.

First, about rear wing setting randomizer. Rear wing is randomized for each team, at the start of each race weekend. For each team, there is a 50% chance rear wing setting will be exactly as set in magic data, 25% chance both cars will use one step lower and 25% chance both cars will use one step higher. It is possible to rework the code to eliminate this randomness.

Second, about values desc45 and desc46 in magic data, previously called "downforce and ride height", and later "drag and player downforce". These values are, most likely, air temperature in degrees Celsius and air pressure in hectopascals. desc45 in original tracks ranges from 17 (Imola, Silverstone and Spa) to 31 (Hungaroring). desc46 from 926 (Interlagos - highest altitude in 2001 calendar) to 1022 (Monaco - sea level).

While loading magic data, the game code calculates a value with the formula ((298 * desc46) * 16384) / ((desc45 + 273) * 990). 273 being the conversion from Celsius to Kelvin, 16384 just a scaling factor. The formula is very similar to the one for density of dry air, and this result is used in a number of places in the code. How exactly this affects downforce and drag, as other people noticed, remains unknown for now. This is the only piece of code where desc45 and desc46 are directly referenced (indirect references may still exist).

Desc47 meanwhile, which I previously called air density, is really only used as a scaling factor for engine power. But it still correlates quite well with the results from the in-game formula, meaning it is indeed used to compensate how normally-aspirated engines have less power at higher altitudes.

Thanks for 32BOBO32 for helping confirm what the formula is about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 07:29PM by Prblanco.
Date: August 23, 2021 10:14PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Thanks for sharing this knowledge. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: August 24, 2021 01:55PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Wow, that are great new findings with the magic data, here! Many thanks for trying this out and for sharing with the community, Prblanco!

Still, I'm quite fascinated by all the opportunities provided via magic data. Especially the values for air temperature and air pressure could it make possible to simulate different wheather situations of a racing weekend much better than just having rain or a sunny day, I think. Great!
Date: August 26, 2021 12:17AM
Posted by: TomMK
The problem with desc46 is it affects the player car differently to the AI so as that value varies between different Magic Data, your performance will vary against the AI for no good reason.

So I keep desc46 constant in all my MD, and only vary desc47 to simulate air pressure differences (i.e. cars go faster in a straight line at high altitude, Mexico City being the best example in recent years).

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: August 26, 2021 03:31AM
Mexico is a nice example because whether you're modding for naturally aspirated engines or turbocharged engines makes a massive difference. From the F1 website (https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2015/10/all-time-high---the-rigours-of-racing-at-altitude.html)

Typically, for every 100m increase in altitude, engine output dropped by about one percent. Back in 1992, when F1 racing last visited Mexico, engine power would be down by around 22 percent compared with, for example, sea-level Suzuka.

But, this doesn’t happen with the turbocharged engines. With the turbo forcing air into the engine at much the same pressure it would at lower altitudes, the power remains the same.

So, based on recent findings, what I believe to be the best approach is:

Desc45 and desc46 are temperature and pressure, so they should be realistic values regardless of season. Air pressure for Mexico City should be only around 780 hPa, which is a huge contrast to other tracks.

Desc47, being only a multiplier for engine power output, should be set differently whether simulating a turbo season or not. For non-turbos, it should be somewhere in the 12000-13000 range because of the reduced air intake; for turbos, the value should be very close to 16384 (equivalent to 100%), as power doesn't change with altitude in this case.

What makes Mexico one of the tracks with fastest top speeds in the turbo era is the low drag from less dense air. The reduction in air pressure from desc46 should decrease drag enough to significantly raise straight line speeds, at least for player car. And if that creates a discrepancy between player and AI, then we can later use the cc power factors (desc53 and later) to compensate.

Of course, this is only conjecture, I haven't tested these values to see if what I said really holds. But I hope that as we continue to improve our knowledge of GP4 we'll be able to make more conscious choices in modding.

Date: August 26, 2021 12:05PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Prblanco schrieb:
> But I hope that as we continue to improve
> our knowledge of GP4 we'll be able to make more
> conscious choices in modding.

That's correct! Nevertheless, in the recent years, we made so much testing about magic data an pushed this thread to 15 pages posts and discussion so far. Of course, it is quite difficult to pick up all the findings, we made in the recent years. So, is anybody able to give us a current overview of all magic data description like in the following sheme:

desc#/line# || known names of the descrition || findings/what it really means (and if it's affecting all cars or just the player/the ai cars)

All new overviews including the current knowledge would be very welcome to me!
Date: August 29, 2021 09:14PM
Posted by: zifox
I had an issue with some tracks coming from a trackpack for which the AI max speed was limited by the rev limiter. For example in france, germany, italy, the cars were reaching their max speed several hundred meters before the braking zone, as if the cars had an extra 50-100bhp. (i talked about it in another thread)

To try fix this issue, I had a look at magic data, tried a few things without luck, ended up using default 2001 magic data.
One question remains: how does the game compute the AI speed. Have we found a formula between individual driver performance and CC factors ?

From the magic data, I understand gear ratios are common to all AIs ? No dependent of the AI driver performance / top speed ? How does the game compute the ratios on 7 speed cars ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2021 09:16PM by zifox.
Date: August 30, 2021 01:12PM
Hmm the answer might be a little complicated, since we don't fully know how GP4 works.

Individual driver performance comes from the performance file, which is separate from magic data. The CC power and grip factors are multipliers (500 = 100%) which are applied to all cars equally (except player), depending on which difficulty level you're running.

Speed itself depends from different factors such as engine power and aerodynamic drag (and by extension, car setups). There are strong indications that calculations for AI are much more simplified than for players but again, we don't fully know the details.

If you ask a question like "how much % in power/grip should give a 1% difference in laptimes?", there is no formula that can give you a definitive answer. Each track is different, each season mod is different. A very crude approximation valid for the unmodded game is that, on average, every 5% power equals 1% laptime, and every 3% grip equals 1% laptime.

For gear ratios yes, I think they're equal to all AI cars regardless of engine power/wing setup. The 7th gear calculations are done as follows: 6th from magic data becomes 7th, 1st remains 1st. All other ratios are linearly interpolated between those two extremes, meaning 2nd to 5th gear ratios in magic data are ignored for cars with 7 gears.

Edit: by the way, many values in the magic data (and performance file) are multipliers, especially those whose values are around the 15000-17000 range, where 16384 (2^14) equals 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 01:22PM by Prblanco.
Date: August 30, 2021 07:19PM
Posted by: zifox
Thanks for your explanations.
Date: September 03, 2021 11:40AM
Posted by: TomMK
klausfeldmann
So, is anybody able to give us a current overview of all magic data description

This is my Descriptions.txt

; desc1= Front wing [CC dry setup]
; desc2= Rear wing
; desc3= 1st gear
; desc4= 2nd
; desc5= 3rd
; desc6= 4th
; desc7= 5th
; desc8= 6th
; desc9= Front wing [CC wet setup]
; desc10= Rear wing
; desc11= 1st gear
; desc12= 2nd
; desc13= 3rd
; desc14= 4th
; desc15= 5th
; desc16= 6th
; desc17= Front wing [Player dry setup]
; desc18= Rear wing
; desc19= 1st gear
; desc20= 2nd
; desc21= 3rd
; desc22= 4th
; desc23= 5th
; desc24= 6th
; desc25= Dry brake balance
; desc26= Front wing [Player wet setup]
; desc27= Rear wing
; desc28= 1st gear
; desc29= 2nd
; desc30= 3rd
; desc31= 4th
; desc32= 5th
; desc33= 6th
; desc34= Wet brake balance
; desc35= Softer tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
; desc36= Harder tyre [52 Hard, 53 Medium, 54 Soft, 55 Supersoft]
; desc37= >= 50 AI chooses softer tyre, otherwise harder
; desc38= 
; desc39= 
; desc40= 
; desc41= 
; desc42= Track grip
; desc43= 
; desc44= 
; desc45= Temperature (deg C) - top speed only affected, minimal effect in corners / acceleration? (17 - 31)
; desc46= Air Pressure (hectopascals). AFFECTS PLAYER-ONLY downforce, and drag
; desc47= Engine power output - e.g. altitude simulation? Affects acceleration
; desc48= Fuel per lap - see also desc70/71
; desc49= Slipstream? A distance in feet that is subtracted from the distance between 2 cars, then compared to the speed(?) of one of the behind car, and if the speed is less, something is triggered. Player only.
; desc50= Player tyre wear factor - see also desc72
; desc51= CC aggressiveness (aka Braking Range) min - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50 (added to car.field_108. related to cc grip factor, 32768 low, 65536 & 0 mid, 32767 high)
; desc52= CC aggressiveness (aka Braking Range) max - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.50
; desc53= [Ace] CC power factor
; desc54= [Ace] CC grip factor
; desc55= [Pro] CC power factor
; desc56= [Pro] CC grip factor pro
; desc57= [Semi-Pro] CC power factor
; desc58= [Semi-Pro] CC grip factor
; desc59= [Amateur] CC power factor
; desc60= [Amateur] CC grip factor
; desc61= [Rookie] CC power factor
; desc62= [Rookie] CC grip factor
; desc63= CC random performance range min
; desc64= CC random performance range max
; desc65= CC error chance - now configurable in GPxPatch 4.52
; desc66= CC recovery sectors
; desc67= Sectors to pit-in begin
; desc68= Sectors to pit-out end
; desc69= Pre-pit speed limit
; desc70= Fuel consumption Player
; desc71= Fuel consumption CC
; desc72= Tyre wear
; desc73= Track sector after which AI cars stop being cautious on 1st lap
; desc74= Hotseat turn duration - e.g. 70800 equals 1:10.800. Try to match to the real-life pole laptime if possible.
; desc75= Real-time factor, speeds up or slows down the in-game time (+/-1000 equals +/- 1.0)
; desc76= Helps decide if a tyre set needs changing? (dry to wet / wet to dry) - higher values = quicker reaction
; desc77= Same as above? (dry to wet, wet to dry)
; desc78= Rain chance
; desc79= Segment nr (start of some range) related to pit in/out. Related to determining surface type under car.
; desc80= Segment nr (end of some range) related to pit in/out. Number of segments from the end of the pits (so higher means TOWARDS the start of the pits!). Related to determining surface type under car.
; desc81= CC race grip (always 256)
; desc82= A time duration (ms), used when the car is not in the pits, though it is related to the pits.
; desc83= Segment where the player car starts in quicklaps mode
; desc84= Black Flag penalty (ms) (must be between 10000 - 30000)
; desc85= Black Flag severity (1024=80kph)
; desc86= (Wet) CC engine mapping (higher, more detuned)
; desc87= (Wet) CC tyre wear and grip factor (higher, more)
; desc88= (Wet) CC tyre wear factor (lower, more)
; desc89= (Wet) CC grip factor (lower, more)
; desc90= "Handbrake". Stop car moving in garage? Seems to be a lateral offset from the pitbox.
; desc91= Car depth in garage (Player car)
; desc92= Car depth in garage (AI cars)
; desc93= Car orientation in garage 
; desc94= Pitstop stall depth from pitlane (Player + AI)
; desc95= Pitstop stall depth from pitlane (Player + AI) finetune
; desc96= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc97= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc98= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc99= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc100= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc101= These seem to be tyre wear factors for each tyre type (always 16384?)
; desc102= pitstop group 1 %
; desc103= stop 1
; desc104= pit window 1
; desc105=
; desc106=
; desc107=
; desc108=
; desc109=
; desc110= pitstop group 2 %
; desc111= stop 1
; desc112= pit window 1
; desc113= stop 2
; desc114= pit window 2
; desc115=
; desc116=
; desc117=
; desc118= pitstop group 3 %
; desc119= stop 1
; desc120= pit window 1
; desc121= stop 2
; desc122= pit window 2
; desc123= stop 3
; desc124= pit window 3
; desc125=
; desc126= failure chance : suspension (The total sum should not go beyond 126040. Note: 630 is added to each, total becomes 131080 after 8*630 is added)
; desc127= failure chance : loose wheel
; desc128= failure chance : puncture
; desc129= failure chance : engine
; desc130= failure chance : transmission
; desc131= failure chance : oil leak / water leak
; desc132= failure chance : throttle / brake
; desc133= failure chance : electrics
; desc134= 
; desc135= 
; desc136= 
; desc137= 
; desc138= bump factor
; desc139= bump shift

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy