Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 

Layout without stadium section?

Its possible? (H)

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Yes, fictional layout without stadium! And then the section with Westkurve, driven in both directions possible! PLEASE! MAKE THIS DREAM COME TRUE! hot(H)(B)(G)
Here it is as promised. (Hah, I was finally able to keep a deadline, haha :-) - more or less.)

Predictably, I wasn't able to finish the job on the kerbs in time so a 1.1 update is now likely some time in the future. It could be labelled a 1.01 as it's such a small detail.

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Preview video is on the previous page.

As I've said, this is a naked .dat - you just replace the original with it and you can play with the same .wad.

Besides opening up the chicanes, I included a new CC-line and new track cameras. Both of them use the latest best practice where possible. (2016 for the Stadium section, 2001 otherwise, except for the Ostkurve where it's 1981 obviously.) To avoid messing up the .bin files in the Stadium section by cutting the track three times before, I actually inserted a couple of extra sectors on a relatively flat part of the last straight half the usual distance away from each other. It looks strange in the Builder, but it does not affect gameplay at all, 0%.

So... Nordkurve is obviously the most important corner on the track as it leads onto the longest, now a whooping 2.8km long straight. Ostkurve is almost as important and is a lot trickier. No need for brakes, just a lift, but it's crucial where you reapply the throttle - too early and you run out of room but because of the increasing radius of the exit, you'll only notice your mistake much later on. It's like an Österreichring corner had been carbon copied here. Here you either have an off at 340kph (I could NEVER avoid damage in this case, no matter how silky smooth I tried to navigate the gravel trap) or lift off which will ruin your speed down the second longest, but still a monster 2.0km long straight. In the Stadium, it's a more rounded line in the banked corner and it's less likely that you run wide at the penultimate turn than it was with the pesky strange original CC-line. (But you can still easily overshot the last corner due to that strange GP4 'rail' behaviour.)

Have fun, guys. :-)

P. S.: @Meteoro405 @TGF1DRIVER It's possible, but I'm unlikely to do it - I have a very tight schedule with all these things, GP4 and non-GP4. Was it used at all? (Unlikely, after the dragstrip was built, but might have been before that.)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 12:27PM by Atticus..
thank you very much (Y):)
Thanks a lot, Atticus! (Y):-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks!!!!!!!!! (Y)

Keeping alive the GP4
Great Job Atticus (Y)

Thanks
One track that's been badly missing from my portfolio ever since I pulled down some of my works that were simply not good enough is Watkins Glen.

NASCAR is racing at The Glen this weekend and I'm currently finishing work on both getting the Boot layout accurate - and getting a short layout ready! (Both without the Inner Loop - of course.)

These tracks went through a number of iterations since I've last published them but even then, I just got the Esses more or less right a few hours ago. (Elevation was the problem, as ever.)

I'm looking at a release soon, probably next week.

Change of plans, guys.

Correcting some wayward elevations on The Glen has proved more time-consuming than expected (that happens often, also it seemes to be harder to revisit and correct an existing .dat than making a new one, actually) so now I aim for a release during the build-up to IndyCar's highly-anticipated return to the track on September 4th.

Short course is coming along nicely as well - it's even faster than the Boot layout, just four braking events, three of them (Outer Loop, Turn 6, Turn 7) high-speed, one (Ninety) medium-speed. Three long flat-out stretches, so the magic data will be geared towards low downforce. (As opposed to medium downforce for the Boot course.) They're both based on 2011 - I don't like the post-2012 run-off at the Ninety, the post-2013 camera angle in the Esses and those post-2015 Cheez-It-coloured kerbs are looking outright horrible.

As I've said there will be no Inner Loop on either track, but plenty of little bumps and details that will hopefully increase immersion a little bit. It's still not perfect, but then again it'll probably never be - and I've grown to accept that. (I really don't want to touch my released tracks ever again.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2016 02:52PM by Atticus..
Looking forward. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
IndyCar makes a surprising return to Watkins Glen this weekend, a track which is probably the most exhilarating to experience in a top end open-wheeler car, an Indy car – or an F1 car!

Without much further ado, here’s a little preview of a corrected and up-to-date (well, up-to-2011) Watkins Glen Long – and, as a bonus, a preview of the Short course as well which is entirely new for GP4!

Watkins Glen is like Spa – both has a Turn 2-4 complex which is an iconic uphill sweep, followed by a long straight, they’re both dominated by long corners and huge elevation changes, they’re high-speed, but a lot of their speed comes from smart corner placement as most of them (on the Boot layout) are medium-speed.

On the top of that, both tracks had an old layout that was even faster, ending with the only low-speed corner on the track which became Turn 1 after the pit straights were relocated following their renovation in the 1970s. The crucial difference is that while Spa was shortened, Watkins Glen was extended and so it was possible to build the other layout of the latter for GP4.

The Classic layout is essentially the Cup layout or Watkins Glen Short, but without the Inner Loop chicane. It roughly follows the route of the original track that was in use between 1956 and 1970. It has less corners than the Boot course and is shorter, but it doesn’t feel like that – it feels even faster and it is, by average speeds. Only NASCAR uses the Short course for a major event nowadays.

The Classic Boot layout (i. e. Watkins Glen Long, but also without the Inner Loop) is very similar to both my 1991 beta and drt01’s full version, only properly done as far as the .dat is concerned. It’s got a completely and multiple times revised elevation profile (with only one minor inaccuracy, kudos if you can find that one), cambers, CC-line, track cameras, magic data and everything associated with porting the 1991 version to the 2011 version which I like the most. (See a previous post as to why.) It’s less bumpy, has more grip and some asphalt verges and so it is slightly faster than the 1991 track.

Release pretty soon, most probably ahead of Sunday’s race!

Nice.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

nice work(B)

Latest Themes / Mods > [www.mediafire.com]
You Tube Video's [www.youtube.com]
________________________________________±
It’s release day, folks! (Tl;dr: download links on p. 1 and at the bottom of this post.)

IndyCar drivers talk about how they’ve “never been to a track like this” which is so fast and, with the “amazing G-forces,” so physically demanding and how it is a massive commitment track in that there’s a lot of time and space passing between committing to a certain cornering speed and cornering arc and getting to know if it actually works or not. Also there's a lot of time spent mid-corner on the edge. (Much like the old Osterreichring.) But what I like the most about The Glen in GP4 (especially on the Boot layout) is how the elevation changes play with you.

Elevation changes play tricks on you because literally every corner is affected by massive compressions (also due to the significant banking) which changes your perception of how late you can be on the brakes, even on downhill areas like in the Ninety and into Turn 6. It feels like you can be unbelievably brave into the corners, and sometimes out of them too.

The old Cup course is a bit different, it’s even faster with the shortcut between the Carousel and penultimate turn, even more slipstreaming, but it does make that second-to-last corner a proper turn, not just a flat-out kink like on the Boot layout. (Due to the higher entry speeds.)

It is also entirely new for GP4, so have massive fun with it. You can now recreate finishes like this, only in open-wheelers. (Even the bump when you land at the end of the Carousel exit kerb is there.)

[youtu.be]

The main difference between this 2011 version and the current actual track is probably the limited asphalt run-off on the exit of the Ninety. You can still run wide in GP4 if you want to, but you must hurry back onto the circuit very soon to avoid running out of space and onto the grass midway down towards the Esses. This tarmac was extended in 2012. Also, it is the old pavement, offering somewhat less grip (although it’s hard to imagine there could be any more than what you’ll have) and of course, it does not have those hideous red-and-orange kerb colours we can see nowadays.

No Bus Stop chicane, of course, though while it’s so fast that it’s fun, I think it’s even more fun plunging down the abrupt slope change into the Carousel full throttle and bleeding off as little speed as you dare as you press hard into the corner.

“It’s an iconic old-school circuit that we don’t get to see too many of these days,” after all.

DOWNLOAD LINKS: [www.mediafire.com] (Classic Boot) and [www.mediafire.com] (Classic)

Have fun – and you can watch how the IndyCar pros fare this evening at 8pm CET (7pm GMT).

P. S.: Previews above.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 11:18AM by Atticus..
many thanks again atticus!
Thank you. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Thanks!!!!

Keeping alive the GP4
Very impressed with all that work ! (Y)

Thanks Atticus

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cl323fcwf2i61/GP4_Files';] >>> My Other Tracks for GP4 <<<[/url]
Thank you very much Atticus for your great Efforts. You are a true Hero and very very important for the GP4 Community.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy