Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Looks really nice.

Thanks for your Efforts.

Many Greetings
Soooo... We all love Montreal, right? Yeah. That's because we haven't seen Mont Tremblant.

Well, not during an F1 event since 1970, but some of you I know are in the vicinity and some of you actually know this track.

'Le Circuit,' as it is affectionately known around the French-speaking region of the Laurentian mountains, is one of only two tracks that I know have been labelled the 'mini-Nurburgring,' in this case by Jackie Stewart when F1 paid a visit in 1968 and 1970. (The other is Cadwell Park, also a long time in the making on my hard drive.)

Mont Tremblant is famous for its abrupt elevation changes and challenging layout set in the Canadian wildlife, although it does not boast the mind-numbing total elevation change of, say, Sonoma or Rouen and it is a mix of high- and low-speed corners rather than a domination of one or the other.

Points of interests:

1) In an F1 car, surely the biggest challenges come near the end of the lap and they culminate in the penultimate turn, a hairpin turn, called Namerow. Namerow is a 'throwaway' turn because it is so easy to lose a lot of laptime here. It's a VERY steep uphill on the entry but it turns abruptly into a downhill section far before you reach the apex. Consequently, if you brake just a little too late, you slide into a kind of pathetic-looking spin right at the last braking event (and I managed to very accurately reproduce this phenomenon in GP4). If you brake too early, you can't really modulate the pedal because the steep uphill kind of commits you to your braking point and slows you down too much anyway. To top it off, it has the single highest kerb of all corners on the inside; I strongly advise to stay off of it. (The last kink, onto the main straight should be flat-out. If not, begin to turn in from a bit further to the right.)

2) Going backwards, the previous challenge is Bridge turn which is also an uphill entry and is also blind. It actually changes elevation mid-corner here, so it feels very different to Namerow; it accentuates car imbalances. (Understeer becomes heavier understeer mid-corner, oversteer becomes heavier oversteer if you carry too much speed in.) It should be hard to spot the apex being blind, but I found that it is not a problem in GP4 somehow. (It very much is in GRID Autosport.)

3) Leading into Bridge turn, it's the Gulch which is a mini-Paddock Hill Bend - but to the left. It's downhill all the way through and right where you track out, it turns into the steep uphill that leads into Bridge. You CAN carry a bit more speed than what the layout would suggest, look to run wide on the exit and bank on the compression from the elevation change to provide added grip at the last moment and keep you on the track. But it's very hard to do.

4) One of the fastest corners on the track is the turn which precedes Gulch. It's at the end of the back straight and it has meandering camber on the entry. Feels a bit bumpy. Don't track out more than mid-corner on the exit as you'll need the line into Gulch.

5) Middle of the back straight, it's the Hump, a slight left kink at the crown of a... well... hump. It's been lowered considerably (by 3.5m) on safety grounds in 2000, so it's not too shabby nowadays. You can feel slight, but exciting drops and climbs as you exit and enter it; it's a leftover from the old configuration. (Gosh, how hard it was to get right...) I decided not to do the pre-2000 layout as it was in a state of horrible decay elsewhere, it would have been pretty much undriveable. Just check out a vid from 1988 on YouTube, it's already badly worn back then.

6) The corner leading onto the back straight is a double-apex, long hairpin - but being long, it's medium-speed. It accepts a 'V' line (quick in, slow in the middle, quick out, hitting both apieces) as well as the quick in, slow out and the slow in, quick out approaches. I find that if I hit the first apex and instantly begin to track out and don't bother with the second, I actually arrive just in time for the exit rumble strips. This is the favoured line nowadays, it's in the CC-line.

7) There are three sweepers before the above hairpin, the first and the last of which are easy flat, but with the middle one it's only on one lap. (Low fuel and new tyres.) As soon as you put fuel in and begin to wear your tyres out, you find that you understeer heavily mid-corner. Lift and you'll be alright. (Unless you are very loose.) You'll know from that that you'll need to lift from then on during that stint. Lift just before the middle - entry and exit are of roughly the same importance, but you won't want to upset the car near the exit, where the downhill gradient gets a bit steeper. IRL, a lot of cars run wide on the exit.

8) In the first Esses, keep to the right, sacrifice the entry, you'll need exit speed for the long flat-out section that follows. The Esses entry is devious. It's a diagonal braking zone across the track, it's easy to lock the inside front and it's easy to run wide. It's a long, decreasing radius braking zone though, so you have some time (but not too much) to gather it back up and stick it to the right.

9) I really recommend loading a lower downforce mod for turns one and two (1960s mod, DTM mod, etc.) because it is very very sadly easy flat in an F1 car. It's probably the signature turn of the track (besides Namerow). It's a huge crest, downhill initially, lift and turn in the compression zone, climb the blind hill, apex between the optional chicane entry and exit and be very very very gentle on the throttle as you start to put the power down just as you crest the hill. IRL, you always get loose and the opposite lock always throws you towards the exit surprisingly quickly, so count with that too in a properly set-up car. Load a low downforce mod, seriously. (And don't follow the CC-line, it's for the high downforce F1 cars, it's the shortest route between entry and exit with an apex that would be too early if you need to lift.)

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Have fun! :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 11:21AM by Atticus..
Thanks, great 'track walk' also.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Thanks atticus for this great old traditional canadian track. Sadly the (real) track is nearly out of order nowadays and the last international race was the ChampCars in 2007. In 2007 the tracks was already in a bad condition and I fear it had not become better since then.

Also thanks for the great track walk. Only experts in motorsports are able to write that precisely and in that quality (Y).
@Turbo Lover, @klausfeldmann: Thank you, guys.

The real track is actually reasonably well off despite the lack of mainstream racing nowadays. Ferrari Challenge visited it in 2015 and there are short videos about it on YouTube - and the track looks alright. I think that's mainly because its owner is Lawrence Stroll who is wealthy enough to invest in top-notch facilities back in 2000 and 2004 when he rebuilt and renovated the circuit. (For example, the asphalt holds up well despite the harsh Canadian winters, something that's only possible with having the best quality tarmac.) Stroll obviously wanted to support his son's first steps in his racing career and it was a nice knock-on effect that Mont Tremblant was rebuilt as it is.

But yeah, I do fear Stroll may decide to sell off the circuit as Lance gets ever closer to F1 - and he'll need a lot more money in the near future. Not luring top-level series since 2007, as you mentioned, already suggests that the Mont Tremblant project is far from the top of Lawrence Stroll's priorities. I hope he'll stick to it. :-)

Thanks (Y)

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Once again mind-blowing effort with this great track! Thank you Atticus!
Another great Job, Great Track (Y)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cl323fcwf2i61/GP4_Files';] >>> My Other Tracks for GP4 <<<[/url]
Downloaded! Great work and fun track!
All I can say about this track is "Brilliant"!! Thanks Atticus. Keep up the great work.

Glenn (Cdn)
Thank you, guys. :-)

Don't know if you've heard about this or not: [www.autosport.com]

Even if it would likely include a revised 'Hella Licht' (it would surely have another name now) and probably something else to slow the cars down for the crazy-fast Dr. Tiroch Kurve, it would look cool.

As for the old Osterreichring, those of you who read the track building topic here on GPG may have seen that I'm preparing a 'correct' layout for this weekend's F1 action. It is modelled on the 1987 version but without running the chicane.

As a track that's partly destroyed, it was very very very hard to get it up to the standards of my current tracks because it is a very different work process compared to the modern tracks where you have accurate satellite images and often elevation maps and camber data as well. Here you are on your own with maybe an accurate old track map - I managed to find one, luckily; most of them were useless, like they were in the case of Kyalami 1985.

That map plus a topography that put my visual skills to the limit (finding the right angles at which the GP4 model bends in all trackside cams compared to the real thing) resulted in a circuit which is entirely accurate apart from three minor details - and frankly, I'll be disappointed if anybody spots them, lol. :)

I plan a release on the Tuesday after the GP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 12:55PM by Atticus..
Heard of it a while ago in an article about a possible WEC event which would use that configuration. Fingers crossed it'll happen, that'd be amazing! Though that being said, I don't have much hope for it, there's a small group of people who are very much against the usage of the track for racing, as it's too loud. Maybe should've thought of that before deciding to live next to a racetrack...

Looking forward to your version, would be great if someday something similar to your cooperations with Davide could be done, RSCT made a pretty amazing version of the Red Bull Ring.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
It's release day tomorrow.

Here's a little trivia: it is based on the original in-game A1-Ring so much so that every bit of track banking, width and every physical feature that could have been carried over has been carried over.

For example, the current Turn 5-6 complex originally had a wider radius and the short link between the two ran on part of the current straight between Turns 1 and 2. (You can see see the old Turn 5 as it heads off into the gravel trap; it is part of the so-called North Loop of the current configuration.) I copied every command of those sectors in the link - which used to have been driven in reverse direction, of course - to my circuit.

The one thing that changed unexpectedly heavily (besides the layout) is elevation. Even on parts of the layout that are the same, such as Turn 7 and the next straight over the hump, it is now much shallower in terms of ups and downs; the little valley there has been filled up while the hump has been lowered considerably. The same goes for the straight between the current Turn 2 and Turn 3.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 10:38PM by Atticus..
Here you go, guys, though I have to say I'm still not entirely comfortable with a few gradients. But I simply don't know what the catch is. :( I remember tinkering with these areas before and I remember how stuck I felt as every change I made messed up another part that was OK.

But it's still the best there is out there in terms of realism.

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Enjoy. :-)

EDIT: I don't think anybody needs a track walk for this one; it's a pretty popular track (and version) I'd imagine. :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 09:24PM by Atticus..
Bugfix: corrected fuel consumption in magic data.

Thanks.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

In today's news:

Reverse engineering the old Silverstone track from the original GP4 circuit is difficult.

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 12:02PM by Atticus..
Looking very much forward to the ultimate Silverstone #purespeed
Looking forward. Silverstone was back then till 1990 an ultra fast track.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

thestig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking very much forward to the ultimate Silverstone
> #purespeed

Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking forward. Silverstone was back then till
> 1990 an ultra fast track.

Thank you guys.

Indeed, it was very fast - 300kph average in a 2001 car if the near-final tests are to be believed. I think the chicane-less Monza is obviously faster - the chicane-less Österreichring is not - but it's quite unbelieveable still.

Copse is a rather straightforward 90-degree right-hander with a bit of compression near the exit so you can carry a bit more speed than you would think. (It's actually a little more than 90 degrees, 93 or 95.) Becketts is probably the trickiest corner on the track with an early apex and a noticeable bump near the exit so you can easily run wide. It's visible even from the trackside cameras as early as 1969 and as late as 1990. Stowe mandates a decisive entry, like the post-2010 Abbey, (I actually spun there during testing trying to hurle the car in) then hugging the inside line and being aware of the track falling away from you, pushing you wide on the exit. Club has a bump on the entry (it's even there on the original GP4 track) but then it has a nice bit of compression as well to guide you through.

I chose to do the original Woodcote design, not the chicane version or the 1987-1990 Bridge complex (a version of the latter is available courtesy of n00binho anyway), so it means the end of the lap is a bit bland though with the original Woodcote being, while still pretty spectacular as it's so long, completely flat-out.

I actually think the current track is busier - and is still blinding fast - from Copse to Stowe, but it just can't beat the sheer and relentless speed of the old configuration which does not challenge with a kind of smart placement of the current corners and the precise racing line they require but with the nuances of the old ones - the unassuming but quick Copse, the 'shady' exits of Becketts and Stowe and the commitment on the entry to Stowe. And it all evolved naturally, it was still the raw airfield design, all the bumps, all the minor but key compressions, everything...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 06:57PM by Atticus..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy