Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Thanks for sharing. Imola classic is faaaasst! :-)
Garden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. Imola classic is faaaasst! :-)

My pleasure. :-)

And yep, it's freaky fast. :-) Acque Minerali and Rivazza are more challenging than nowadays as well.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
I'm trying to read through the progress of MACAU Track.

Up to what progress has the track reached?

I've read there were problems with a 'pile up' but not sure if all has been solved....

Appreciate your replies.

Happy New Year ALL
pippo46 Wrote:
> I'm trying to read through the progress of MACAU
> Track.
>
> Up to what progress has the track reached?
>
> I've read there were problems with a 'pile up' but
> not sure if all has been solved....
>
> Appreciate your replies.
>
> Happy New Year ALL

Hi,

Pileups at Lisboa are far less annoying and frequent than what they were to begin with, but they are still happen more often than usual, even with Macau standards (and on Ace difficulty.) The AI also often crashes if it does manage to get close enough to overtake (which is rare, so it's not a common issue, but, again, it's rare even with Macau standards and that's another problem).

Despite all this, I can still recommend the track, if only for the pleasure of driving around it - it's an incredible challenge, it's painstakingly difficult to even string a few laps together where you do not make some contact with a barrier. The player can also race with the AI very well, so it's definitely a plus. (It's only the AI versus AI situation that is a bit off.)

Happy new year to you as well. :-)

Hi guys,

As I've said before Christmas, I'm working on getting releases lined up for 2016 behind the scenes - some re-released, some completely new or previously unseen work - and the first one of these was scheduled for just before F1 winter testing begins. Which is now. Actually, I planned it for a bit earlier but as some of you might have noticed, Mediafire login broke down a few weeks ago and got fixed just a couple of days ago.

The track is a version of the old Kyalami, the original 1961-1987 layout in fact, which is a very very inspiring thing to drive because it's so flowing. Nothing conveys a sense of speed quite like the old Kyalami's run down to Crowthrone or the high-speed flick-flack of the cars between Barbeque Bend and Jukskei Sweep.

The most important thing about it is that I worked very very hard and ultimately succeeded in making it just as accurate and precise as my other - contemporary - tracks currently up on my account, which is quite unbelievable, espcially considering one huge stumbling block outlined below. It was a very very hard thing to do also considering that most of the layout has been levelled more than 25 years ago... Still, going by older Google Earth scans, videos which showed overlaps when deconstruction was in progress and the customary quadzillion photos I dug up, I was able to retrace every single old corner and radius precisely as it was and I'm very very happy with the result. Seriously, it was painstaking at times.

Then the elevation work was basically the same as for other circuits - Google Earth elevation profile to give an impression of the overall slopes and then major and minor finetunes to get it real.

Of course, one can ask 'why didn't you just use an older track map to draw up the old layout?' Well, the curious case of Kyalami is that there is exactly zero accurate track maps of the old track. Strange, yes, but true. That was the big block.

There's a few forum out there on which a few likeminded people have already asked questions like 'why is Barbeque so tight on these maps (or in GPL) when aerial and onboard shots show it as much more open?' Or 'why is the Esses that tight, it really doesn't seem any different from the air or from the TV footage from how it is now?' Or 'why is Crowthorne decreasing radius here when cars take such an early apex from onboard?' Well, it's because the maps are wrong. All of them, to some extent (some show the Esses and/or the Kink and/or Crowthorne well, but none show Barbeque as it was.)

Unfortunately, that means that most of the renditions of the old Kyalami are not correct either (see GPL version) such as that of Pedro's.

Still, Pedro created an awesome atmosphere for his version and atmosphere was a big part of Kyalami so if you're after that, you should use his variant - mine doesn't have much 3D here either. But if you care about the actual physical qualities of the racing surface, the track surface you're driving on, then I can all but recommend mine. (Track cams, compared with the real thing, show the differences excellently.)

I'll upload my version in the coming days with a preview video posted very soon.

Cheers,

Atticus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 12:44AM by Atticus..
Or the best of both worlds; Pedro's 3d work combined with your dat file.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Re: Atticus' Workthread - [PREVIEW SOON] Kyalami (1985) Beta - All Links on p. 1
Date: February 15, 2016 11:43PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
The .dat of the old the 1982 kyalwmi i made it.
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> Or the best of both worlds; Pedro's 3d work
> combined with your dat file.

Yeah, that would be awesome. :-)

Alright, here you go.

Instead of a traditional onboard-only or onboard-plus-TV cam video, I've decided to show you guys how much the 'slipstreaming heaven' nature of the old Kyalami is grasped within this release - which means a race video, a short clip to be exact (plus an onboard lap.) The kind of moves like the ones from 1:25 on are not uncommon on this track in the game at all...

They weren't uncommon in real life either - it's modelled nicely in this respect as well.

Proper release is just days away, so stay tuned and enjoy the preview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 11:42PM by Atticus..
Great video.
It would be awesome to see a race like this where the lead changes every lap.

Kimi forever!
3 cars wide yeah.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

ooleeeo Wrote:
> Great video.
> It would be awesome to see a race like this where
> the lead changes every lap.

Turbo Lover Wrote:
> 3 cars wide yeah.

Totally 1979 again, haha. :-)

It's good to see it works. :)

Looking nice :)

Turbo Lover schrieb:
> Or the best of both worlds; Pedro's 3d work
> combined with your dat file.

That'd be great indeed.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Looks great!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Looks really fun! Can't wait!
Thanks for bringing this literally breathtaking track to gp4. Great Work!(Y)
Thank you guys, I'm glad you like it - I hope it'll very much live up to the expectations. It really is thrilling to drive, it invites you to test your limits, it's (almost) all high-speed and medium-speed. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 08:03PM by Atticus..
.... I happen already have a new version of Kyalami, made at the same time, that changed Dijon-Prenois, but okay,
I will present my Kyalami version more updated forward with new atmosphere......;)

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Pedro, would you mind that I use your 3d work of Kyalami and combine it with Atticus' dat file of the track?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Wow an embarassment of riches, we now have two rip roaring Kyalami tracks. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy