Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Good job. What's the track lenght? and which version is it?

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
Length currently stands at 4.373km without elevations, so it will be even longer in the end. The real length is 4.329km with the chicanes, so the International circuit without the two chicanes at Britten's and Knickerbrook (which I'm making, to answer the second question :)) is even shorter.
Oulton Park without the chicanes is pretty insane.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Just bumping the thread to announce that I'll release an Oulton Park beta in the days before the June 8 BTCC race there.

The British touring cars return to the International layout for the first time since 1996 and it is the International layout I've done as well - although without the two chicanes and yes... as Turbo Lover said, it is pretty insane.

:-)
I re-uploaded all tracks by request.

Compared to the previous uploads, only the two Brands Hatch tracks are different visually: I modified the elevations in and around Druids.

In another news, Oulton Park is coming in the next one or two days as the BTCC races there are approaching fast (June 8).

Currently, I work on one of the first Canadian tracks to host a Grand Prix, namely Mont Tremblant. It's not a very famous track - I think it might have some management issues as it lost both its Indy and sports car races in the past few years - but it's another extremely undulating, up-and-down track out in the forest with short run-off areas and thus it is very challenging.

However, as Oulton could serve as the first release of a kind of 'Great Britain track pack' I intend to follow it up with Cadwell Park and Knockhill, not Mont Tremblant. Cadwell is a really old project which I did almost two years ago, but I was in the middle of US track releases back then, so I rested it - and it was beneficial as I made a completely new elevation profile for it recently, which is much more realistic. I'm glad I waited with its release. Knockhill is the opposite: I didn't even begin it. Will do it by the time the BTCC arrives there in August though.

Cheers guys, have fun - with driving my tracks, with GP4 in general and without it as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 02:43PM by Atticus..
Looking forward to Mont Tremblant, it's my favourite canadian circuit!
Hi guys,

Oulton Park is released today.

It's a classic historic track layout which is a blast in a modern F1 car with loads of downforce. I love how the track designers of old made use of subtle elevation changes increasing or decreasing grip in certain corners (e. g. Cascades, Druids) according to their convex or concave profiles. Same goes with banking or camber angles. Neither of these are features on nowadays' F1 tracks.

While elevations are correct all the way, they are a tad too drastic at some places, such as at Clay Hill and Druids. Making the elevation profile of this circuit was the single greatest challenge in elevation making I came across until now. Their shapes not nearly represent traditional shapes we have by default in GP4 Builder, so I had to micro-manage a lot and at the aforementioned places I just run out of patience a bit, I guess.

It's still a great circuit, have a lot of fun with it. :-)
Thank You Atticus (Y)
@tojepo: Thanks.

Oh, and download links are in the first post on page 1, in case some of you have missed it.
Thanks for share. :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Thank you Atticus.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Thank you!

Google Earth updated its data for the Sonoma region, including the race track, compared to when I last checked it. Not only with imagery, but with precious - and seemingly precise - elevation data, so I updated Sears Point and will upload it after ironing out some minor inaccuracies.

The feel of the track is largely unchanged, but I was surprised to see that even my aggressive approach has underestimated altitude changes at some places earlier...
Update is online.

It's basically a revised elevation profile. I'd say 'heavily revised', but I think the casual observer will not notice many changes. It is now almost entirely realistic - nearly 160-feet in total, with a 35-metre plus rise to T2 only.

Cambers were changed a bit as well, most notably in T1, T1A, T4 and the exit of T7 (the Keyhole).

A new CC-line makes certain corners easier to navigate (a late apex solves many issues in T2, but even that approach can't stop the rear from stepping out on literally every lap in T3A). It now avoids the high kerbs in the Esses - obviously one needs to change that if he or she plans to drive the circuit in stock or touring cars.

As a bonus, I included an alternative cam set, which is not based on 1996 events (as per the main DAT), but rather uses 2013 IndyCar and 2014 NASCAR cam angles where it is possible (I left the originals in place where the track layout changed in 1998 and 2002).

Cheers and have fun! :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 04:04PM by Atticus..
I think I have found bug spa 1979 when I am in free practice or qualifying I can leave the pits but when I come back and about to be pushed back into the garage the car just stays in one place which means I can no longer go back out but ai cars come go all the time

Here's pic of what I mean

As a workaround you can push Shift+Q to return to the pits at any time.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Ok I will try that. thanks
Guys, I just realized how ragged the Oulton Park elevation is - not altogether wrong, but often too sudden, too undulating, even for this circuit (which is as undulating in real life as it can be).

I'm currently in the process of smoothing out the entry to Cascades, the bumps on the back straight before Knickerbrook, the exit of Clay Hill, the humps before Lodge and reshaping Deer Leap entirely. It should be a bit better.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 02:16AM by Atticus..
(Y) Thanks Atticus !

Great Job on DAT Track
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy