Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Hi guys,

Please let me proudly present to you the 2016 version of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, one of the most famous race tracks in the US and in the world, one of the top 20 best race tracks in the world and the circuit with one of the most iconic and thrilling corners in motorsport, the Corkscrew.

Now GP4 already has two versions of this great track by other authors, but although this one lacks most of the iconic So-Cal scenery, I can say for sure that this is the most accurate of them all physically-speaking - it is an improvement on its predecessors both in terms of layout and in terms of elevations and cambers, using official data for the latter two. Even in terms of 3D environment, I created authentic kerb designs and, to simulate the sandpit that is Laguna Seca, unusual run-off behaviours (gravel, gravel everywhere) so it does feel a lot different from your usual beta track.

The year I have based it on is 2016, for I didn't want to use those forgiving and seemingly randomly applied asphalt verges that they've constructed for 2017 and which made both Turn 6 and the Corkscrew easier to navigate. As it's 2016, the "Mazda Raceway" moniker stays, although it is set to be dropped from April 2018 after Mazda decided to call it a day on the sponsorship. (I don't know if the iconic "Mazda blue" kerb colour will change or not as well.)

So that's it from me for now, please find the download link below and on the first page as usual.

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Cheers,

Atticus

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 11:45PM by Atticus..
Thanks Atticus!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Great to see this, Atticus! Thanks!
Thank you very much Atticus! (Y)

Köszönöm szépen!
Atticus, I'm having a great time driving your no-chicane versions of the original GP4 tracks. I've tried a few of your beta tracks as well, and they're great representations of the tracks but I have a hard time driving most of them due to lack of landmarks to help with brake points, and the 'track in the sky' effect distracts me at times. Are you planning to create basic scenery for any of the tracks? I'm especially interested in 1973 Silverstone and would love if there's a way to use your dat with the 2001 wad included with the game.
two points of displease: #1: I tried to download the Laguna Seca track but I got blocked because Kaspersky found malware... :(
#2: If I only had the time to add scenery to your great track layouts... ;)
@huskyman49: I'm sorry about giving you a fright about malware, but I'm sure it's a false positive - it doesn't differ from my other files in any way. Anyhow, I re-compiled the package and uploaded the new version, could you (or anyone) please check now? (I'm using Avast and it doesn't find anything suspicious with these files.)

@doclawler & huskyman49: Yeah, Silverstone was borderline when I was making the decision on which tracks to preserve the original .wad environment for and which ones should be built as tech tracks. It can be done, although I modified the .dat "carapace" heavily, so it would need a lot of micromanagement. And I'm gradually scaling down my track building activities, so I don't think it would happen. :(

And yes, finding reference points on the tech tracks can be a pain - I suggest using smaller details, such as a bump, a change in tarmac shade, a kerb, anything that can help you out. Luckily, most of my tracks lean heavily towards high-speed corners (they are classics, after all :)) where a precise braking point is not as important as it is on modern stop-start tracks. The emphasis is more on rolling the center and mid-corner speed in general. You can correct a slightly mistook entry in a long corner, such as those in Kyalami or on the Österreichring.

Edit: Last, but not least - thank you very much for downloading these tracks, playing and having fun with it, at least in part. So for all the positive feedback as well. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 09:28PM by Atticus..
Atticus, your comment about picking out different objects to serve as braking/turn-in points was very helpful. I've used that on several of your tracks and gotten used to it, and it's even inspired me to turn off all trackside objects for other tracks as well. The game runs much smoother, and it only takes a few laps to pick up different things for landmarks.

Another question for you regarding your future works. Have you ever thought of doing the full 10 km Monza track, including the oval, as a 'tech track'? It appears there is a version for GP3, but nothing for GP4. Modern F1 cars racing around that circuit, with no chicanes, would be a sight to behold.
Could the iconic scenery be added to your version?
doclawler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another question for you regarding your future
> works. Have you ever thought of doing the full 10
> km Monza track, including the oval, as a 'tech
> track'? It appears there is a version for GP3,
> but nothing for GP4. Modern F1 cars racing around
> that circuit, with no chicanes, would be a sight
> to behold.

I know, but the 10- and 20-kilometre limit for GP4 tracks is still an experimental feature in GPxPatch (as far as I know) so I decided against it back in the day.

Also, banking in GP4 is constant in that it cannot change across a cross-section of a track, so the superelevation of the oval cannot be accurately replicated. (Nor can be crowns in the road as a matter of fact either. That's already causing minor problems for some of the my circuits.)

But I'm glad you've found your rhythm around the tracks. :-)

AustinF1 Wrote:
> Could the iconic scenery be added to your version?

You mean for Monza? I guess it can, but I'm not much into 3D modelling, so you'll need a co-author for that. I have worked with ToJepo and drt01 in various projects in the past.

nhorry Wrote:
> Thank you very much Atticus! (Y)
>
> Köszönöm szépen!

Szívesen! ^^

You are very welcome. :-)

klausfeldmann Wrote:
> Great to see this, Atticus! Thanks!

Thank you.

Turbo Lover Wrote:
> Thanks Atticus!

Thank you, Turbo. :-)

The legend Atticus just keeps reaching new heights!
Atticus, do you still have copies of your Road Atlanta and Rouen files that you would be willing to share?
doclawler Wrote:
> Atticus, do you still have copies of your Road
> Atlanta and Rouen files that you would be willing
> to share?

Road Atlanta, I am going to re-publish it before the Petit Le Mans in the fall - I have revised it greatly compared to the last version after I have found more accurate maps and videos of the old Dip aka. Turn 10.

Rouen, I have not given it much thought in the past coupled of years and I'm afraid I don't plan on doing so either. So we can consider that project to have become a victim of "development hell" lol.

But Road Atlanta is nice, and it should be up soon.

I'm looking forward to Road Atlanta :-)
Thanks !!!!!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Hi guys,

Long time no see, but I still have a small present to you out of the box.

It's not new work, however, as I don't have either time or commitment to do new projects nowadays, but instead it's something that has been waiting in the wings for quite some time now.

Exactly one year ago, I have completely reworked one of my earliest tracks, Lime Rock Park, to make it more realistic - I've found it was way off in almost every aspect, including even the layout as I failed to account for a big swing in Google Maps exactly where the track twists a little (but only a little) near the top of the Uphill.

Elevations, cambers, etc. also reworked, of course, slightly (on the undulating No Name Straight, for example, oh, how I suffered with that one :-)) or significantly (on the Uphill, for example, to find the exact same gradient as in real life, to make you feel ever so slightly light as you're cresting the hill). It always amazed me how even Skip Barber considered it of utmost importance to keep every aspect of the original layout when the resurfacing works began back in 2009, I think - there was an article I've found during my research that explained just how much work went into this back then.

This is the short track oval bullring of road courses, it's always busy and it feels like it never stops, never ends - have fun with it. :-)

Download link below and in the first post as usual.

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Cheers,

Atticus

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 11:12PM by Atticus..
Thanks Atticus!!!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Thank you. :-)

By the way, the top-tier IMSA series are not running on the Uphill proper anymore (they tackle a chicane instead), but lower-level touring car and GT series are still using it as it was meant to be.

I personally cannot really get enough of watching all those rear ends dancing every single time they climb the hill and enter the head-on camera panning them from West Bend.

Here is some footage of this year's race, which was run just this past weekend:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 01:50AM by Atticus..
Thank you very much Atticus!
Hi guys,

Few days later than promised, but I have re-released Road Atlanta in its 1997 form - meaning you can race The Dip, the white-knuckle compression at the bottom of the backstraight valley, instead of the low-speed chicane that was put in place in 1998.

Elevations from the Esses downwards have been fully revised as well as the layout of The Dip, the latter based on old black-and-white USGS aerial photos I have found since the first release.

DOWNLOAD: [www.mediafire.com]

And page 1 as well, as always.

In memoriam Don Panoz, who passed away earlier this year at the age of 83 and who owned the track and founded Petit Le Mans.

Best regards,

Atticus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy