Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedro, would you mind that I use your 3d work of
> Kyalami and combine it with Atticus' dat file of
> the track?

.... Absolutely not Ruben, feel free to use, I have a new version of dat kyalami, I'll change the atmosphere 3D, will be completely new, more realistic... ;-)

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Here it is, guys.

The mighty old Kyalami circuit - with a layout as correct as possible.

In the past few weeks, I though of how I would write here about how F1 testing used to always begin here on the sunny South instead of Jerez or Barcelona, about the research process that has gone into this track or how to check exactly whether it fits the old real thing or not, but now I feel like I just want to finally get it out (I was pretty busy in the last few days about a new job of mine). I'll just provide a hasty track guide, as I used to do so. Later on, I do provide insight into how to check it if it's good or how this iteration finally materialised, especially if someone is specifically interested.

So... first, the sense of speed. I always find the classic view of Camera 2 and the new-for-1985-and-lived-only-one-GP Camera 4 are the best to check this from. The way cars drop down towards Crowthorne and sprawl out of Barbeque and into Jukskei is just mind-blowing, it looks faster than pretty much any other footage out there - and being a race track history fan, I know quite a lot of the old balls-out corners.

It feels fast as well, driving it. You pick up so much speed dropping down the main straight, out of the increasing-radius Crowthorne, through the flat-out Barbeque and Jukskei Sweep and the 200-kph-steady-throttle Sunset that it's really by the time you arrive, practically tumble into, the hard, diagonal braking zone of Clubhouse that you realise how fast you were going. It's really the wide-radius, mostly increasing-radius (or 'open';) nature of the corners that makes this such a sweeping place (much like the old Osterreichring). Barbeque and Jukskei are pretty much flat out on any line you care to take and the Kink even more so.

Points to take special care of:

1) The absolutely 100% most important corner on the track is Leeukop, the last one. It's hilarious how much time you gain by the end of the main straight just by judging well when to floor it and keep it floored through the exit of that long long long right-hander. It's very hard to do mainly because you reach the top of the hill just before the corner exit and it's slightly off-camber as well which accentuates every car balance issue you might have - a slight under- or oversteer becomes a huge under- or oversteer here. You kind of forget about the entry as far as racing line is concerned - it HAS to be a very late apex, so don't brake too late. Once again, it's very hard to do (how magnificently tricky this track was) because Leeukop is on a steep incline and it's heavily cambered on the entry and thus accepts a lot later braking point and a lot more entry speed than you would think. Worst case scenario, gather it back during the long mid-corner phase. But don't lift on the exit.

2) Braking into Crowthorne. Finding good reference points can be especially difficult on my beta tracks without the necessary 3D objects and markers around, but lately, I'm trying to build as rich verges as possible to get as much reference out there for you as possible. Luckily, you will have one here as well. It's not what the old guard (with lot poorer brakes) used in the 1980s, but now it's excellent. It's the end of the yellow-ish tarmac verge on the left side of the circuit - you brake about 2 or 3 car lengths ahead of that point. Be very precise at outbraking other cars.

3) It's not very important and you won't loose much time with getting it wrong, but the entry into the Esses is also off-camber and so the car handles worse there than usual. Keep it neat and tidy to be able to do the banked second part of the Esses flat-out. Work your way up to it.

Barbeque and Jukskei used to be very tricky as well before downforce took over and the former got resurfaced pre-1983, eliminating a huge bump on the entrance. Jukskei still has a bump, but it's not too upsetting. These were flat out in 1982 with ground effect and were on the edge until the track's closure in 1987. (See In Car 956 with Derek Bell onboard vids.)

Well, that's it in a nutshell. :-)

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

And you can catch (or re-watch) a preview video of it here. It's a nice little three-wide battle for the lead in the game.

Enjoy it and have fun with it, guys. :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 07:22PM by Atticus..
Thank you.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
How do you run a track with just the track and not the scenery like your video on the previous page? What I mean is, can you do this with all the tracks? What about the ones that came with the original game? Looks tremendous, and my laptop needs all the help it can get to play smoothly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 01:49AM by nileblackflame.
nileblackflame Wrote:
> How do you run a track with just the track and not
> the scenery like your video on the previous page?
> What I mean is, can you do this with all the
> tracks? What about the ones that came with the
> original game? Looks tremendous, and my laptop
> needs all the help it can get to play smoothly.

It can be done, but it's very time-consuming work and you can easily lose some features inside the track fences (logos, bridges, gravel traps, etc.).

And it can only be done with GP4 Builder and not in-game or via the graphics settings.

I suppose you've already turned everything down to the minimum in the graphics settings - if you have not, then I recommend doing so. Also choose a low resolution, it helps tremendously with FPS. Also, ask around in the F1graphics.cfg topic and someone might create a tail-made .cfg file just for you. There are some guys there who understand these settings in detail and they're very very good at it.

Until then, happy playing with my tracks, if they work well for you. I'm glad you like them. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 01:28PM by Atticus..
Okay, I didn't know if there was a simple solution. Thanks for your response. I'll look into my graphics cfg and resolution when I have some free time. Cheers!
Hi guys.

It's where sports prototypes and GTs regularly hold their launch season tests. A few weeks ago, it was GTs, now it's the ELMS and on March 25-26, it's the Le Mans cars. It's called the Prologue.

...It's a Paul Ricard re-release up next. :-)

As usual, the Ricard has now got its updated and now-definitive elevation profile, new cambers and innovative kerb designs. Track cams are new as well.

It really shows just how inaccurate the previous version was that I labelled it 2012 when my circuit didn't even have the pitlane extension built in 2010. Now I went the easy way and labelled the new version 2009, when it opened for racing again after ten years being a test track exclusively, and actually left the old pitlane alone. (The new one did eliminate an old, almost never used, short course layout and I didn't want a compromise either, so that although mine is still the classic long layout, it still fits that old course as well, if someone wants to modify the .dat.)

So this is still the 1A layout, which is almost never used either nowadays with all series wishing to use a long layout choosing the tightest first chicane version, but this is the one which resembles the classic pre-1999 long layout the most. It's funny how the fast first chicane apparently (judging by Google Street View) still has the old, higher banking compared to the newer options. There's no chicane interrupting the 1.8km Mistal Straight either - and, in a welcome move, Blancpain Endurance opted to skip it as well lately.

F1 used to turn right not long before the entry to Verriere from 1987 to 1990 and it used a completely new layout for its Pirelli wet tyre test this January: it opted for a tight hairpin just before Verriere which got the cars back onto the Mistral with a bit more road to go than in 1987-1990. It used a mid-Mistal chicane, the tightened version of Signes and the shortcut before the Double Droite du Beausset.

Almost exclusively, Google Street View has a map of the whole track and it proved to be an invaluably helpful tool in determining kerb design. Elevation-wise, the hardest part to get right was the switchback at the low end of the track after the second chicane (École corner). I used a 2007 F1 testing fan video for it, lol. It's more accurate than any other version, including the AC, out there.

I'll get a preview video soon and a full release in a few days time.

Cheers,

Atticus

Looking forward.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Here you go:

I must admit, it doesn't look like a big changes from the previous version - but it is. Apart from the actual track layout, almost everything has changed for the better.

Nice effort, at last we have the correct elevation changes for this track in a game. Keep going it's a good work

@EricMoinet: Thank you, I do my best. :-)

It's online, by the way.

It's a re-release of sorts of the previous version, labelled 2012, so I won't hype it up here too much.

This is the track map anyway and yes, it's a completely revised elevation profile which, I believe, is now as good as it can get. (99% correct, IMO, and the best there is among all versions of the circuit across verious games.)

Here you go:

Enjoy!

P.S.: Next up, it's also a re-release, it's the Brands Hatch Indy configuration that I promised for before the BTCC season starts there next weekend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 06:05PM by Atticus..
Merci.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Unfortunate last-minute circumstances, guys, but Brands Hatch Indy won't be ready for today after all. It's ALMOST ready, but I had some vis maior in the last few days.

I plan to make it available some time next week.

Sorry. :(

Thanks for this great Job Atticus ! (Y)(Y)
;-)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cl323fcwf2i61/GP4_Files';] >>> My Other Tracks for GP4 <<<[/url]
Hi guys,

First of al, thank you for all the positive feedback recently. :-) It does mean a lot when one has issues on the personal motivation side...

The revamped Brands Hatch Indy is up.

Sorry for the delay once again.

It is not quite compatible with the GP .wad, so use both the .dat and the .wad to play.

In all honesty, even the GP files had to be modified a little bit once again (gosh, even I'm fed up with it by now, like it stresses me out...) as there were a few niggly bits that I've just discovered while preparing the Indy version.

Next up, its a longer gap once again - and in fact I'm so burned out right now (due to other things as well) that I'm not even sure I should announce the next track as it's not done properly just yet and I'm not sure I will finish it... In any case, if, and that's a big 'if', it eventually sees the daylight, it should be the long-time-in-the-making Canadian circuit, Mont Tremblant.

...Yes, it's a great track, but the elevations for its second half is a mess right now, so it needs more work (despite being done a long time ago, the first half is surprisingly good, I must have had a good day, lol).

It should be out early-to-mid June, if everything goes well.

All the best,

Atticus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 08:22PM by Atticus..
Thank you very much Mr. Classic Tracks. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Yay for Tremblant ! :) And do you still not like Mosport to the point of not building a dat ? ;)
Briere Wrote:
> Yay for Tremblant ! :) And do you still not like
> Mosport to the point of not building a dat ? ;)

I love Mosport. :-) I really do. :-) And I have very detailed and accurate elevation data for it so it's basically an open goal, but... I can only echo the F1virtual guys: real life is quite difficult for me at the moment. I'll say never say never though.

For some time it even looked like I would not finish the job on the Mont Tremblant .dat either, but I'm now happy to announce that I just began doing what needs to be done to get it alright and ready for release.

On a sidenote, this is the first time I really browsed the GP4 forums for about two months probably - and I'm just continually amazed by how active this community is, it's really something, something special. (For a game as old as this one.) This is awesome and I'm happy to be still "on time" with my release schedule so that I can contribute if I can.

EDIT: The main issue with Mosport is that it's a fairly big ask for me right now (due to real life) to do a track from scratch in the foreseeable future. Mont Tremblant, it's about 90% done for years now, now I'm just finetuning some elevations and minor stuff. The tracks I'll release this summer, likewise - they're mostly done for months now and I'm just putting the finishing touches one them, bit by bit of project-bits and then I'll let them go live. Mosport would be my first scratch project since Macau. And I did not do Macau last autumn, it was the same polishing work back then. I actually did it half a year earlier, a little more than one year ago now...

On the plus side, Mosport is a fairly short track and the fact I have all the data significantly decreases the development time required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 11:36PM by Atticus..
Mont Tremblant is now only a preview video and a release away. It should be out shortly after the Canadian Grand Prix.

It averages 220kph over one lap and it pretty neat, especially the original North course sections (Esses, Gulch, Bridge corner and, of course, Namerow). It's also conductive to overtaking - not surprisingly, given it's from the 1960s; almost every old track provides good overtaking opportunities. (Back when track designers knew what they were doing; good times.)

Two years in the making (with huge gaps, of course), Mont Tremblant is just about ready for release.

'Le Circuit,' as it is affectionately known around the French-speaking region of the Laurentian mountains, is one of only two tracks that I know have been labelled the 'mini-Nurburgring,' in this case by Jackie Stewart when F1 paid a visit in 1968 and 1970. (The other is Cadwell Park, also a long time in the making.)

Here's a little preview for you.

I may come up with a short turn-by-turn guide when I'll finally release it. It's just days now, I'm being busy. (There was a short delay already while I tinkered with the aero setup for the magic data.)

Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 02:34PM by Atticus..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy