2012 F1 Car Launch Thread

Posted by EC83 
Re: 2012 F1 Car Launch Thread
Date: February 17, 2012 02:15PM
Posted by: marcl
Yes they banned the f-duct and bought in DRS.

But a f-duct that is automatic has an automatic effect on areo which is therefore not allowed either. So not sure what the rules on that are really but I remember them running it late last year.
Date: February 17, 2012 02:35PM
Posted by: danm
the only thing groundbreaking that I can see is the sheer weight of that drop.

Literally. Ground. Breaking.

I think that nose is pointy too, not platypus wide, not MP4/10 pointy, but skinny thin!

edit, 0.03 into the video below, look how pointy the tip of the nose is! It is almost mp4/10-esque!

And look at the angle of the nose drop; and then the line following to the angle of the front wing supports.

That's a little strange. It seems shaped.

edit: just saw someone asking the same thing. possibility of it being a passive F-duct using the pillars?

also someone noted the small airbox style openings above the sidepod/side headreast.

Very interesting!

LOL @ comments on this. 'Knob Cam'. ROFLMAO.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 02:52PM by danm.
Date: February 17, 2012 04:02PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I love how these lower noses were introduced "to improve safety" yet now all the cars are driving around with razor-sharp points aimed at everyone else's rear tyres. Smart.
Date: February 17, 2012 04:45PM
The back of the car looks really short, i,e the rear susspension goes into the body work close to the side pods.

I just have a feeling as said before if they are using an automatic areo stalling device it will not be allowed. Some already said last year what they were testing was not correct. It has the same effect as the Lotus brake system and it effects the areo. Will be interesting.
Date: February 17, 2012 04:52PM
Posted by: gav
loque
I love how these lower noses were introduced "to improve safety" yet now all the cars are driving around with razor-sharp points aimed at everyone else's rear tyres. Smart.

They were introduced because they were dangerously close to being at a height which could enter the cockpit area. With the loading a tyre is at at speed, any contact will likely damage a tyre.

The nose structure itself is designed to deform on impact, so edge of the nose isn't likely to damage anything other than a mammal or, as you say, a tyre.
Date: February 20, 2012 11:48AM
Posted by: danm
rumours leaking about the supposed inner workings of the Mercedes Nose Ducts.

[www.caranddriverthef1.com]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 20, 2012 07:31PM
Can somebody with technical knowledge please explain what the @#$%& that is and how it works?
Date: February 20, 2012 07:53PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
The hole on the front is attached to thin tubes that enter through each the wing elements which have small openings, stalling the front wing at high speeds.

Or the more technical explanation: [scarbsf1.wordpress.com]

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 20, 2012 08:17PM
I read yesterday that it's designed so that it doesn't stall when the car is corning... feck knows how, and I'd imagine that would cause chaos if there's a strong crosswind.
Date: February 20, 2012 09:41PM
So does it exist? Haug denied anything special today. But he said anything special "that you could see".
Date: February 20, 2012 10:53PM
Posted by: IWE
Looks crazy!

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 20, 2012 11:00PM
Posted by: J i m
To my untrained eye it looks really quite aggressive. Overall I quite like it.

Date: February 20, 2012 11:45PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
looks aggressive, hope nico and michael do well this season, kinda got bored of red bull dominance last season...
Date: February 20, 2012 11:58PM
Posted by: J i m
I hope Nico wins a race and on merit too, not inherited. He needs to make the step up from nearly man to winner otherwise he's in very real danger of becoming the next Nick Heidfeld.

Date: February 21, 2012 01:09AM
There's no W-Duct there. No hole in the nose tip.
Date: February 21, 2012 07:48AM
There are nearly always holes in the nose tip - you'll not be able to see it from those angles though.
Date: February 21, 2012 09:36AM
Very interesting at the back quiet different to other cars.

The car looks neat and aggressive will be interesting to see how it goes.

I am still not sure about this wing stalling, as said before if its not controlled by the driver its not legal am not even sure its legal if controlled by the driver as wing stalling (apart from the DRS) is not allowed. Will be interesting anyway. Teams wont complain unless it starts doing well anyway, and its only really an advantage on the straights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 09:43AM by marcl.
Date: February 21, 2012 10:18AM
Posted by: chet
I honestly don't see how stalling the front wing would be that beneficial... Sure, it creates drag but the effects would not be any near as large as with the rear wing. The other thing is, the front wing provides aero structures for the whole of the car. For instance, there are some elements of the front wing which interact with the front tyre and wheel wake to reduce its effectiveness downstream. I honestly can't see the benefit and see more trouble than anything. But they're a clever bunch, maybe they have done special, I guess we'll know soon enough when Schumacher punts somebody :p!

Nice to see some innovation there :D! Still disappointed its not a Brawn copy, but I quite the looks of it.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 21, 2012 10:23AM
Posted by: chet
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope Nico wins a race and on merit too, not
> inherited. He needs to make the step up from
> nearly man to winner otherwise he's in very real
> danger of becoming the next Nick Heidfeld.

People made the saem mistake regarding Button.

Nico hasnt won because he has not had the car, or the opportunity to win. Once he does, he will win, that much is certain.

If Lewis is apparently unhappy at Mclaren, and has another poor season, I would LOVE a straight swap!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 21, 2012 10:34AM
Nico has had the chance to win 2 races but has made stupid mistake in them.

Plus Lewis is not unhappy at Mclaren, they are probably unhappy with him and he needs to get his form back this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 10:40AM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy