Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: January 05, 2012 12:25PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I still can't believe we're expected to PAY for something which has been free since 1950. And before people from other countries come running saying they have always had to pay for it... this is what we pay TV licence for. And even if you pay both too, that doesn't mean we have to be okay with it. Most of the money goes to the BBC and then they're supposed to use that to provide coverage of major sporting events.

Horseshit. And in an age where we have increasingly less money to fork out on things (disregard my claims to £500 in the build-me-a-computer thread - that was put aside especially) and with the internet just sitting there, do they really expect people to pay that for it?

Really?

We're on a planet of arseholes.
Date: January 05, 2012 01:42PM
Posted by: marwood82
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still can't believe we're expected to PAY for
> something which has been free since 1950. And
> before people from other countries come running
> saying they have always had to pay for it... this
> is what we pay TV licence for. And even if you
> pay both too, that doesn't mean we have to be okay
> with it. Most of the money goes to the BBC and
> then they're supposed to use that to provide
> coverage of major sporting events.

actually they are a public service broadcaster(hence we have to PAY to watch the bbc)
and as a public service broadcaster, what they are supposed to use their money for is described in here

[www.bbc.co.uk]

even so they are still covering major sporting events. wimbledon, the six nations rugby,the ruby league challenge cup, euro2012, the olympics, moto gp, F1

> ,
> Horseshit. And in an age where we have
> increasingly less money to fork out on things
> (disregard my claims to £500 in the
> build-me-a-computer thread - that was put aside
> especially) and with the internet just sitting
> there, do they really expect people to pay that
> for it?
>
> Really?
>
> We're on a planet of arseholes.

but you've pretty much answered your own question.
there isn't the money to go round and unlike all the other broadcasters in the uk, there is a range of other programming the bbc is legally obliged to spend its money on.

at the end of the day, F1 is a niche sport in the uk and an expensive one to cover at that.
i don't like the fact that its gone to sky anymore than anyone else does, but i'm amazed its taken as long as it has.
Date: January 05, 2012 10:30PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
news for today: James Allen on 5 Live

James Allen: I’m delighted to announce that I am joining the BBC Radio 5 Live team as F1 correspondent and lead commentator this season.

I’m really happy about this; 5 live is the default setting on my radio at home and in the car, it’s a great institution and I’m proud to be part of it.

Anyone who has followed my career knows I love a challenge; whether it’s taking over from Murray Walker, setting up this website, or creating the first F1 fans forums.

I’ve never done radio before and I’m really looking forward to adapting to a new medium.

This is a time of significant change in our industry and I see great opportunity here, thanks to the unique place Radio 5 Live has in this sport.

Readers can be reassured that nothing will change in terms of the coverage here on JA on F1. I’ll still be providing insights into the news and goings on in F1. We have some great plans for 2012.

UK readers wishing to hear the 5 Live F1 output can tune in to the radio station or access the audio online via the 5 Live website

Overseas readers will be able to access some of the content via the 5 Live website.

Additionally, our commentary of all the practice sessions, qualifying and the race at the 10 GPs BBC TV is covering live, will be available on the Red Button on BBC TV and also on the BBC Sport website. Fans at the track will be able to hear us in real time on the rentable Fanvision units.

I will continue to Tweet at @jamesallenonf1 and you can also follow our adventures on @5LiveF1.

And a final note for viewers of Ten Sport in Australia: Don’t worry, I’ll still be contributing to the shows, as before.

personally a great coup for BBC, he has the insight of F1, and has years of experience. Only time I didn't like the guy was when ITV turned F1 into the lewis hamilton show, but other than that, great commentator. BBC seem to compete strongly with the death star... I mean sky! (even though they whored out in July n split F1)

ah well
Date: January 05, 2012 10:48PM
Posted by: gav
Yup, Sky basically took all the best bits from the Beeb (other than Jake), but so far they've been doing a nice patch job.

It'll take Allen a while to adapt to the radio format. I think it's far harder than the role of TV commentator, as you've got to paint the picture for the listener and not just say what you see (and due to that I very much enjoy 5Live's football commentary).
Date: January 05, 2012 11:44PM
Posted by: chet
:D:D:D!!!!!!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 05, 2012 11:58PM
Posted by: EC83
I've never really listened to the 5 Live F1 coverage, at least I know to avoid it like the Plague now.

Date: January 11, 2012 11:35AM
Posted by: marcl
There is still no news about F1 on Virginmedia, many are saying they will not be getting the new channel as Sky are asking too much.

Great really Virgin pay money to a team yet Virgin wont pay money so we can actually watch the sport.

I really hope they get this sorted.

I have no interest in the BBC's coverage, I cannot stand Ben, when he was on the F1 digital pay per view I would listen to the studio feed just to avoid him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 11:37AM by marcl.
Date: January 11, 2012 04:58PM
Posted by: gav
Even if it is all agreed and signed, then Virgin will be under an NDA. Sky will want to attract as many new customers as possible, so if Virgin do get the license then I'd imagine they wouldn't be allowed to mention it until a week or 2 before the season starts.
Date: January 11, 2012 09:19PM
Plus the channel itself won't be going on the air till March anyway, so there's no need for Virgin to announce anything yet. If they do show it, it'll probably be announced in the week(maybe even the day or two) before the channel goes up.

Date: January 16, 2012 01:18PM
Right now I am so angry.

Virgin will show F1 but you need to have the full sky sports package and even then it will none HD.

So sky customers get it free even if they just have Sky HD, us Virgin XL customers wont get it just with that.

They want £30 a month to watch F1, well they can @#$%& right off.
Date: January 16, 2012 01:48PM
[uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]

That's pathetic. Everybody with Virgin Media is already paying for it, so they should get automatic access to channels like this one in the event of a deal getting struck.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Online streaming FTW.

Date: January 16, 2012 02:12PM
I just dont get it tbh, sky customers on just the HD package get it for free they dont even need sky sports yet we do. I just looked it £22.50 a month and all I want is one bloody channel.

Free view is not even getting it!

There are only 2 million people that have sky sports, they are going to kill F1.

Virgin cannot even get it in HD, Sky are keeping that exclusive. Its not right in the slightest.

The virgin forums are going mad people are not happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 02:13PM by marcl.
Date: January 16, 2012 02:59PM
Posted by: J i m
Putting ethical and polictical issues aside there is no way I'll be subscribing to Sky because basically there's only a handful of channels I watch on freeview so paying about £30 a month for some more channels that I do not want to watch simply for "live" F1 which I might or might not be able to take advantage of due to the demands of my job simply isn't worth it.

If the package is good value for money or not doesn't matter to me because since I only get to view a handful of races "live" anyway I'd be wasting my money switching to sky when I already contribute to my tv liscence and hence will get some coverage of all races on the BBC.

When my work off duty coincides with a delayed BBC coverage then I'll be resorting to streaming... Even if it means muting foreign commentary and being inflicted with James Allen by 5Live.

Date: January 16, 2012 03:01PM
I am sort of at the stage now where if I cannot watch them all I wont bother with any.
Date: January 16, 2012 08:19PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
We have the Sky Sports HD package at home, so it's not a problem for the first few months of the season. However, if I'm off to uni (fingers crossed) in September/October, then I'll probably have to put up with highlights...guess you can't have your cake AND eat it.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 16, 2012 08:55PM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah, to be honest we've been spoilt by decent coverage for a while now even when we complained bitterly about ITV it could have been a lot worse.

Even now.. At least we'll get some kind of BBC coverage for every race. We've all been a bit indignant about F1 expecting us to pay for SKY, but we don't have to and it could be a lot...LOT worse.

Date: January 16, 2012 09:31PM
It all depends how much of a fan you are though.

I have been able to watch every race live for free since 1990 now I cannot.

The BBC coverage is not acceptable, sorry but its just not.

Sky customers are getting the channel for free yet Virgin ones are having to pay £22.50 its simply not right and totally ripping fans off that is what I don't like.

BBC is not an option for me I don't want some highlight program like we used to get in 1989!
Date: January 16, 2012 09:57PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Yeah, but the idea was thrown around to sell the rights to Sky in about 2000-2001ish, so it was really only a matter of time.

I agree, it should be a free-to-view sport but I can't really say I'm surprised by any of it. The fees for Virgin customers though are plain wrong...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 16, 2012 10:01PM
Yes and thats what I mean, I am on the XL package which already costs more than Sky HD.

I cannot get a dish or I would.
Date: January 16, 2012 11:59PM
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When my work off duty coincides with a delayed BBC
> coverage then I'll be resorting to streaming...
> Even if it means muting foreign commentary and
> being inflicted with James Allen by 5Live.

I'm pretty sure there'll be Sky commentary feeds available all the time, due to high demand if nothing else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy