2011 Korean GP **SPOILERS**

Posted by andreigp4 
2011 Korean GP **SPOILERS**
Date: October 13, 2011 08:36AM
Posted by: andreigp4
Introduction
The Korea International Circuit[1] is a 5.62 km (3.49 mi) motorsport circuit located in Yeongam, South Jeolla, South Korea, 400 kilometres south of Seoul and near the port city of Mokpo. It is the venue for the F1 Korean Grand Prix after a $264 million (250 billion won) deal between Bernie Ecclestone and the Korean F1 promoter Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO – a joint venture between M-Bridge Holdings and Jeollanam-do regional government).[2][3]

German designer Hermann Tilke was given the responsibility of the design of the track. It will be part permanent, part temporary. The temporary part will race along the harbour side of the province where spectators from the promenade, hotels and yachts can view the race. Part of the city with possible exhibition facilities, shops, restaurants and cafes will be utilized to be the pit lane during the F1 Grand Prix weekend.

The first Formula One race was held at the track in 2010. The deal is for seven years, with a five-year option after that which would take the race until 2021.[4] The circuit is also set to mark the return of the Korea Super Prix in 2011. The Formula Three event, previous held at the Changwon City Raceway, last raced in 2003.[5][6]

Virtual Lap:

Tyres:

Forecast:

Track Specifications:
Name Korean International Circuit
Location Korea
Timezone GMT +0900
First Race 2010
Laps 55
Length 5.615 km
Distance 308.630 km
Start / Finish Offset 0.195 km

DRS Zones:
Detection will take place between turns one and two, before activation 350 metres after turn two.

Race Stewards:
Martin Donnelly Formula One Driver 1989-1990

(Mostly remembered for this)

Garry Connelly FIA Committee member and FIA WMSC member
José Abed FIA Vice President

Pole Lap 2010:

2010 Race edit:

F(1)ail found by Carlitox

____
Re: 2011 Korean GP **SPOILERS**
Date: October 13, 2011 05:44PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Another great opening, and you put my pic there! ;)

I hope the circuit has enough facilities now to hold a proper F1 round. The layout might be awesome (strange for Mr. Tilke), but it looks as if only the track surface had been built. Kind of the old A1-Ring, with two grandstands, a pit section and then praires everywhere. But sadly I've learnt that very little improvements have been made.

Oh, and if it rains, destroy the Safety Car before they deploy it!

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: October 13, 2011 06:37PM
I forgot to put you in the credits Carlitox. (Y)

____
Date: October 13, 2011 08:40PM
Posted by: Morbid
Nice to see a proper first post in the GP threads again. (Y)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 13, 2011 09:12PM
Posted by: J i m
That was a micaroulous escape for Donnelly, he made a full recovery eventually, he even drove one of those Lotus cars at Goodwood festival of speed recently.

Hoping for another nip & tuck race, would perhapps be nice if a driver who hasn't won yet this year took the spoils but that's rather unlikely.

I'm going to assume the DRS zone will be on the longest straight.

Date: October 13, 2011 10:03PM
Bruno Senna's helmet (for Korean weekend) commemorating the 20th anniversary of his uncle Ayrton's third world championship.

____
Date: October 14, 2011 12:40AM
Posted by: chet
I hope Jenson has a shot at winning this, by that I mean fights for the win, if so then I believe he could win all the last races!

Realistically speaking, it should be a tight RBR, Ferrari and Mclaren battle again. Sorry, make that Vettel, Alonso, Button and Lewis battle =/.

As for behind, the mid field as ever should be tight, STR's upgrades however might screw things up a little for Sauber and FI, and will likely send Williams even further back!

Looking for a good race. It would be unfair to say Vettel is off the hook because he has been all season pretty much, he's had such a performance that he's not needed to look over his shoulder, therefore I do not expect a different approach to his racing, because he has approached it perfectly so far! A pole for him, but he will be alongside a Mclaren, most likely to be Lewis. If indeed it is Lewis, then hopefully he can end this horrible run!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 14, 2011 02:33PM
Posted by: J i m
I hope Williams end thier horrible run, but that's most unlikely :(

Button looked very comfortable in FP2, Hamilton looks like he's business (look out Felipe) also a shout out for Alguersauri and Di Resta.

Though if it's dry as per forecast for the rest of the weekend then things could be quite different.

Date: October 14, 2011 05:40PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Yeah I think Williams will have to watch out for the Lotus cars on Sunday

I can see it being a pretty normal top 8, with Alguesauri and possibly Perez sneaking some points in for 9th and 10th

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 15, 2011 08:09AM
Posted by: shep34
Good qualifying session. The first lap could be an absolute ripper! Vettel has nothing to lose, so I would expect him to stick that RBR up the inside of Hamilton. Can't wait...

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Date: October 15, 2011 11:15AM
Posted by: elemental
In Hamilton's position, I'd find the whole "oh what Lewis you're not smiling? Why aren't you smiling Lewis? Are you going to start crying Lewis?" emotion-interrogation going on pretty annoying, lol.
Date: October 15, 2011 03:13PM
I can't relate to this track... One of the worst in F1. (N)

____
Date: October 15, 2011 03:52PM
Posted by: Red Sam
I'm finding it a pain to drive on F1 2010... :S

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 15, 2011 03:58PM
Posted by: flat tyre
^ Still don't understand criticism like this! I was watching it today thinking how good this track was. I've really taken to it, but nobody else seems to have. No idea why...

I know it might have no fancy pit building, no city skyline and no Abu-Dhabi style facilities, but I think it's a real throwback to the past circuits. A no-frills racing track. Like I said in another thread, it's a shame about the mickey mouse first sector, but sectors 2 and 3 are brilliant imo. Completely made up of nearly (but not quite) full throttle corners, just like the classic tracks. It doesn't have stupidly large asphalt runoff, but there are some stupidly close walls.

And I know I'm the only one who thinks this, but I like the dusty and barren feel to the scenery - It reminds me of an old 70's track where nobody cared about anything but the racing. Which is how it should be imo.

Of course, you're free to disagree with me, but I thought these were all the things that made a good track! :P

EDIT: that was directed at andreigp4, not Sam!

I read on another website that the last time a Red Bull was NOT on pole was when Nico Hulkenburg got pole in Brazil last year. Found that quite hard to believe! That is a very impressive run.

Good job by Hamilton, I'm not a fan of his but I do respect his racing ability, I hope he goes back to how he was in 07 and 08. If he couples that with a new, more mature mentality, he could be a scarily good driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 04:07PM by flat tyre.
Date: October 15, 2011 04:17PM
Posted by: alonso0506
i gotta say i like that track aswell the 1st sector might be only made of 2 straights but the rest is nice and flowing and quite cool

what i dont like is that the wall just before start finish was moved more to the right but apart from that its nice.

for quali finally someone beat vettel/redbull for pole.

felipe beat fernando again but dunno why he aborted his final run must have been bad or made a mistake somewhere.

good quali by vitaly but bruno wasnt good here hopefully he can show what hes got in race.

poor again from williams and like our commentator said kimi must be nuts to get in that car lol (altough i would love to see him back)

hope we will see a good race tomoz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: October 15, 2011 05:10PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Im quite a fan of the circuit too. At times i really hate driving it especially the middle sector, but the layout is a really nice one. Well apart from the pit exit, which could cause an absolute mess one day ;)

As for qualifying, well another good session that was well worth watching. Interesting to see not a red bull on pole and hamilton really fighting for it, taking his car to the edge.

Looking forward to the race bright and early at 7 tomorrow!

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: October 15, 2011 06:27PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I also don't mind the circuit, it requires an interesting setup balance between the long straights and more technical section in Sector 3.

I just wish they'd cut out the Mickey Mouse section at Turns 4/5/6, it really ruins the flow of the lap.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 15, 2011 10:43PM
Posted by: EC83
There are elements of this track which I love, but I'm still lukewarm towards it overall. I particularly like how the walls run alongside it for most of the lap with apparently random amounts of run-off; that's very early 90s and looks unprofessional/disorganised but in a good way, at a time when most new tracks look much more bland. It reminds me of Interlagos in the first few years after the GP moved back there from Rio, and Kyalami - or even Phoenix somehow. There's a much bigger impression of speed when it's dry because of the walls, particularly at the last two corners.

Still, the overriding impression I get of the location is that it's a strange one for an F1 race, with the apparent lack of interest in F1, lack of support races, lack of interest shown in the circuit since last year(Bins apparently not being emptied, one truck race having been held here since last year etc), and it strikes me that this might not be a race that stays on the calendar for long, or one that will be missed by the locals if it stops being held. Still, it makes the atmosphere a unique one I guess.

Great performance all through quali by Lewis, finally showing what he missed out on showing at Suzuka. It should be closer in the race though, and I'm looking forward to a good battle between him, Vettel and Jenson.

Part of me wants another wet race here, although a dry one would be a new experience on this particular track. Pretty sure that whatever we get won't match last year's race though.

Date: October 16, 2011 06:37AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
guess who is gearing up for a legendary race ! can macca get take a huge part of red bulls advantage in the constructors champ. , or should i say, can RBR give it to mclaren on a silver plate.
can vettels engine finally make a whole race in korea. and can webber keep out of trouble this time, unlike the last year. CAN A RED BULL FINISH A KOREAN GP at all !!!

have fun, guys, enjoy it aaand..... watch this, as i always find it touching and thing it will gear you up as well fo the race:

Date: October 16, 2011 06:54AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
That Donnelly crash scared the absolute @#$%& out of me when I first saw it, watching the Senna Movie. No idea how he survived.

Anyway looking forward to this. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. least its not raining this year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy