2011 Italian GP **SPOILERS** + Race Statistics

Posted by andreigp4 
2011 Italian GP **SPOILERS** + Race Statistics
Date: September 08, 2011 08:08AM
Posted by: andreigp4
>>>>>POST RACE STATISTICS <<<

Info:
The Autodromo Nazionale Monza is a race track located near the town of Monza, north of Milan, in Italy. The circuit's biggest event is the Formula One Italian Grand Prix, which has been hosted there since the sport's inception.[4]

Built in the Royal Villa of Monza park in a woodland setting,[5] the site has three tracks – the 5.793 kilometres (3.600 mi) Grand Prix track,[2] the 2.405 kilometres (1.494 mi) Junior track,[3] and a decaying 4.250 kilometres (2.641 mi) high speed track with steep bankings.[4] Major features of the main track include the Curva di Lesmo, the Curva Parabolica, and the Variante Ascari. The high speed curve, Curva Grande, is located after a slow corner, but usually taken flat out by Grand Prix cars.

Drivers are on full throttle for most of the lap due to its long straights and fast corners, and is usually the scenario in which the open-wheeled F1 cars show the raw speed they are capable of (372 kilometres per hour (231 mph) during the V10 engined formula). The circuit is generally flat, but has a gradual gradient from the second Lesmos to the Variante Ascari. Due to the low aerodynamic profile needed, with its resulting low downforce,[6] the grip is very low; understeer is a more serious issues than at other circuits, however, the opposite effect, oversteer, is also present in the second sector, requiring the use of a very distinctive opposite lock technique. Since both maximum power, and minimal drag is the key for speed on the straights, only competitors with enough power at their disposal are able to challenge for the top places.[6]
(wikipedia.org)

Virtual lap:

Tyres:

Track:

Weather:

Race Stewards:
Derek Daly - Ex-F1 and Champ Car driver
Paul Gutjahr - President of the FIA Hill Climb Commision and President of Auto Sport Suisse Sarl
Silvia Bellot - Graduate of the FIA Trainee Steward Programme

(Reuters) - Formula One statistics for Sunday's Italian Grand Prix at Monza:

WINS
Ferrari have won 216 races in Formula One, McLaren 173, Williams 113 and champions Red Bull 22.

Michael Schumacher holds the record for victories by a driver, with 91. Ferrari's Fernando Alonso has the second most among current drivers (27) and is level with Britain's Jackie Stewart in equal fifth place in the all-time lists.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel has 17, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton 16, Williams' Rubens Barrichello, McLaren's Jenson Button and Ferrari's Felipe Massa 11 each.

Vettel has won seven of the 12 races this season and 10 of the last 16. Schumacher holds the record for most wins in a season (13 with Ferrari in 2004).

Only three drivers have won seven races in a season and not gone on to take the title: Schumacher (2006), Kimi Raikkonen (2005) and Alain Prost (1988 and 1984).

No driver has ever won eight races in a season and not been champion.

Only five drivers have ever won eight races in a season - Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen, Damon Hill, Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna.

POLE POSITION
Vettel has been on pole in nine of the 12 races this season. Red Bull have been on pole in all of them, with Australian Mark Webber taking the top slot in Spain, Britain and Germany.

The record for poles in a single season by a driver is 14 (Nigel Mansell, 1992)

Vettel has 24 career poles. Schumacher a record 68.

Red Bull have started the last 13 races from pole.

The record for successive poles by a constructor was set by Williams with 24 in 1992/93.

McLaren's last pole position was with Hamilton in Canada in June 2010. Ferrari's last was with Alonso in Singapore last September.

ITALY
Ferrari have won eight of the last 15 races at Monza.

Michael Schumacher (with Ferrari in 2000 and 2003) is the only driver in the last 20 seasons to win at Monza and go on to take the championship that year.

The last Italian driver to win at Monza was Ludovico Scarfiotti with Ferrari in 1966. The last win in Italy by an Italian was Riccardo Patrese at Imola in 1990.

Neither of the two current Italian drivers, Jarno Trulli and Vitantonio Liuzzi, have scored points with their current teams.

Vettel and Webber have finished their last 14 races in the points. Schumacher holds the record of 24 successive scoring finishes.

Team Lotus, Hispania (HRT) and Virgin Racing have yet to score a point in Formula One since their debuts in Bahrain last year.

ANNIVERSARY
Saturday marks the 50th anniversary of the death of Germany's Wolfgang Von Trips and 13 spectators when he crashed his Ferrari at Monza
(go to: [in.reuters.com])

Pole Lap 2010:

Monza Grand Prix winners:
2010 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari *
2009 Rubens Barrichello – Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Sebastian Vettel – Toro Rosso-Ferrari *
2007 Fernando Alonso – McLaren-Mercedes *
2006 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2005 Juan Pablo Montoya – McLaren-Mercedes *
2004 Rubens Barrichello – Ferrari *
2003 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
2002 Rubens Barrichello – Ferrari
2001 Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW *
2000 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1999 Heinz-Harald Frentzen – Jordan-Honda
1998 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1997 David Coulthard – McLaren-Mercedes
1996 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
1995 Johnny Herbert – Benetton-Renault
1994 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1993 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1992 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1991 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Renault
1990 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1989 Alain Prost – McLaren-Honda
1988 Gerhard Berger – Ferrari
1987 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda *
1986 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda
1985 Alain Prost – McLaren-TAG
1984 Niki Lauda – McLaren-TAG
1983 Nélson Piquet – Brabham-BMW
1982 René Arnoux – Renault
1981 Alain Prost – Renault
1979 Jody Scheckter – Ferrari
1978 Niki Lauda – Brabham-Alfa Romeo
1977 Mario Andretti – Lotus-Ford
1976 Ronnie Peterson – March-Ford
1975 Clay Regazzoni – Ferrari
1974 Ronnie Peterson – Lotus-Ford
1973 Ronnie Peterson – Lotus-Ford *
1972 Emerson Fittipaldi – Lotus-Ford
1971 Peter Gethin – BRM
1970 Clay Regazzoni – Ferrari
1969 Jackie Stewart – Matra-Ford
1968 Denny Hulme – McLaren-Ford
1967 John Surtees – Honda
1966 Ludovico Scarfiotti – Ferrari
1965 Jackie Stewart – BRM
1964 John Surtees – Ferrari *
1963 Jim Clarke – Lotus-Climax
1962 Graham Hill – BRM
1961 Phil Hill – Ferrari
1960 Phil Hill – Ferrari *
1959 Stirling Moss – Cooper-Climax *
1958 Tony Brookes – Vanwall
1957 Stirling Moss – Vanwall
1956 Stirling Moss – Maserati
1955 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes *
1954 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes *
1953 Juan Manuel Fangio – Maserati
1952 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari *
1951 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1950 Giuseppe Farina – Alfa Romeo
(* Victories from pole)
(http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/241961/at-a-glance-monza-grand-prix-winners/)

Fast Facts: Autodromo di Monza
Laps: 53

Direction: Clockwise

Corners: 11

Length: 5.793km / 3.599mi

DRS zones:

Detection 1: Exit of Parabolica
Activation 1: Start / finish straight
Detection 2: Between Lesmos 1 and 2
Activation 2: Between Lesmo 2 and Ascari Chicane

Engine Facts:

Approximately 75% of the 5.793km Autodromo di Monza is spent at full throttle. That equates to 4.345km spent at close to max rpm.
Monza has the highest wide open throttle time of the year ; Spa-Francorchamps, the next highest, is around 70%.
In the earlier part of the season engines would typically be used for consecutive races, but since Spa and Monza are the toughest circuits of the year for the engines, fresh units are used at both races.

The engine internals are put under huge stress round the lap as they are used to their maximum. As a result Monza is THE reference for the Renault Sport F1 endurance tests on the dyno at Viry-Châtillon. The engines are run on the dynos for as much as eight hours to tweak the engine maps to get the maximum performance for the engine.

Being the hardest circuit of the season for the engine, all engine parts, maps and KERS usage, fuel and lubricants and so on, have to be carefully checked on the dyno to be 100% sure of reliability. The test engine could run as much as 3,000km (ten times the race distance) to check engine reliability and performance.

Dependant on the aerodynamic package used, top speed round Monza is around 330kph. In 2010 the highest speed from the R30 peaked at 333kph with the engine running at near maximum revs, 17,900rpm from a maximum of 18,000rpm.

Driveability into and out of the chicanes is key to a good lap time – even though a high percentage of the lap is spent on the throttle, lots of time can be won or lost in the chicanes so you need the engine to pick up quickly when you brake down.

Read more: [www.renaultsportf1.com]

PC stuff:

&feature=channel_video_title

[formula1-humour.blogspot.com]

Enjoy another classic Italian Grand Prix this weekend. (posted today because tomorrow I have some other work to do)

____
Re: 2011 Italian GP **SPOILERS**
Date: September 08, 2011 09:19PM
Posted by: EC83
Nice opening post! I'm really looking forward to this one, it could be the closest and least predictable race for a while.

Date: September 08, 2011 09:27PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Should be a good one...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: September 08, 2011 11:18PM
Posted by: Carlitox
andrei should have the job of opening the race threads permanently. He's a genius doing it!

BTW, I'm curious about how will the teams accomodate the DRS in the Monza-spec rear wings (which sometimes feature a single horizontal flap, like McLaren in 2008-2009 I think).

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: September 09, 2011 09:01AM
Posted by: mortal
Yes agreed, a great opening post. The videos are good too. Really looking forward to this race, with all the overtaking lately this one should be a cracker.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 09, 2011 10:11AM
LOL at Chris Moyles' convo with Jake Humphrey about the GP just now. I've been waiting for someone to come out with innuendo like that about the Lesmo bends. :D

That'll be FP1 underway now then.

PS - Sam!!! Good to see you back!

Date: September 09, 2011 08:35PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Its nice to be here :P

Red Bull look surprisingly strong in Practice.... Ferrari should be closer than they are.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: September 09, 2011 09:03PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yeah, Red Bull's pace was extremely good at the end of FP2 on the long runs on option tyres. Of course we don't know the fuel loads, but they seem to have a big amount of time over Ferrari and McLaren.

I think qualifying should be very close, as Rosberg and Schumacher could get in there as well as the other Top 6.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 09, 2011 09:11PM
Posted by: gav
I can't see Red Bull winning here. They did look good on the softs, but surely they were lighter than the McLarens. Perhaps they just nailed the setup from the off.

The McLaren did look a handful, but I expect they'll fix it overnight. I still think they're favourites (unless Hamilton takes Button off at the first corner!).
Date: September 09, 2011 09:50PM
Posted by: chet
It's taken 2 and a half seasons but no doubt RedBull have fixed the inefficiencies of their design philosophy! They did look good. Certainly huge improvement over 2009 and 2010!

Lewis looked strong! Jenson looked to struggle with the car but he tends to on Friday's so I hope he can fix that.

Early prediction, Vettel pole but a relatively simple Lewis win with Vettel, and Button battling it out for second!

Ferrari looked off the pace, but its Monza and its Alonso so I expect they'll be somewhere close on Sunday.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 09, 2011 09:59PM
If there's anything you can't accuse Red Bull of it's inefficiencies. ;)

For once I think it's purely down to grunt, and I just can't see the Renault having enough of it. Despite the speed Button showed last year with his barn door, I just can't see the Red Bull being strong enough in a straight line, and I don't think their downforce will be enough to save them. If ever there is a track which plays to the strengths of the opposition and not to their own it's Monza.

They'll be up there no doubt, but to me neither McLaren driver didn't look to be on top of the car yet and I think there's more to come from it.
Date: September 09, 2011 09:59PM
It should be McLaren's race to lose, with Ferrari(or Alonso at least) there to pick up any pieces. Past form suggests RedBull will be slower than those two, but they've been strong even on their traditional bogey tracks this year, and wherever they end up at the end of FP3, expect Vettel to suddenly find an extra half second over that in Q3.
It could be a fascinating mix at the front.

Date: September 09, 2011 10:30PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Considering tyre wear seems quite low, Ferrari might escape their slow medium tyre pace, as they may only use the harder tyre for a couple of laps at the end.

I think that because the aerodynamics of the Red Bull are so inherently good, they'll be able to run less wing than the others which could be a potentially big advantage. Because there's DRS in qualifying, and these days they have to run on full fuel tanks, I think that downforce is relatively quite important for this track.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:50PM
Ferrari's lack of downforce relative to Button's barn door last year didn't show up in tyre wear. If anything it was the other way around - Button went slower as the stint wore on, while the Ferrari's (well, Alonso) got faster relative to Button.
Date: September 09, 2011 11:49PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there's anything you can't accuse Red Bull of
> it's inefficiencies. ;)
>
> For once I think it's purely down to grunt, and I
> just can't see the Renault having enough of it.
> Despite the speed Button showed last year with his
> barn door, I just can't see the Red Bull being
> strong enough in a straight line, and I don't
> think their downforce will be enough to save them.
> If ever there is a track which plays to the
> strengths of the opposition and not to their own
> it's Monza.
>
> They'll be up there no doubt, but to me neither
> McLaren driver didn't look to be on top of the car
> yet and I think there's more to come from it.

I think ive always been of the opinion that straight line speed is over rated these days. If your car is mechanically good enough you should competitive.

The Renault is known to have generally favourable low speed characteristics. I've always believed Monza is alot about how well you can exit the corners because that is the largest part of time loss and gain. Braking and traction rule over straight line speed here IMO. Maybe not with the v10's where there was a bigger power difference, but certainly in the period of engine equalisation and v8's.

We know these are areas where Mclaren have been strong if not strongest. Whilst we know RedBull have not always had a car mechanically able to drive the track as well as Mclaren.

It's no lie that the Mercedes has a good amount of grunt but the differences are minimal at top end and are more so effected by the car's aero setup. RedBull have gradually improved in the areas they have not been strong with. in 2009 and 2010 there were tracks that were simply not suited to the RedBull. The trend from 2009 followed into 2010 but much less difference. This year at least Vettel has been quick everywhere yet tracks they dominated at in 2010 (Hungary) they did not have the same advantage. Of course the change in regulations make direct comparisons impossible, but there is no doubt RedBull have been polishing up their car over the years. It's almost perfect now. No reliability issues and quick at every track.

Renault's straight line speed in both the RBR and works car have by no means been slow through this year and I guess any apparent differences with engine power has been negated and largely effected by flap design for DRS. Then we have Barcelona. A mercedes powered car with DRS could still not pass Vettel. RedBull have just signed 5 year's more for use of Renault engines. Power is not an issue.

Vettel on pole on Saturday should not be a shock to anyone. The engine is good enough, has always been good enough but now the car is also good enough IMO.

edit - And surely Button's race last year shows top end speed is no longer king at Monza. He had the f-duct and a rather large wing, but he was racing an f-duct equipped Ferrari with more baseline straightline speed. They both had the f-duct, obviously Button had more drag to shed but even still the top end speed difference was visible, but in terms of overall lap time and for race circumstances there was little difference.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 11:52PM by chet.
Date: September 10, 2011 12:16AM
Posted by: Slash
Jenson FTW!

get in there Shumi!
Date: September 10, 2011 12:26AM
chet
RedBull have just signed 5 year's more for use of Renault engines. Power is not an issue.

I won't respond to the rest of your post as it's all rather obvious, but this caught my eye.

Of course Renault have their own strengths. Throughout the season, off the top of my head, outright power only really matters at Monza, through Eau Rouge and up the hill at Interlagos.

We've known for a 2 or 3 seasons now how efficient the Renault is with its fuel. We've known for another 3 or 4 years further how smoothly it delivers its power in the lower ranges. The quality of the engine over the season is unquestioned, but this is a one-off race.

The Red Bull Renault package may be more rounded this year, and that showed at Spa, but I still don't think they'll have enough at Monza unless McLaren and Ferrari mess up. Ferrari already look a distance behind, and even now it certainly looks as though their harder tyre performance will compromise their race. I think McLaren will have enough though.

We'll see on Sunday. :)

By the way, why the hell do you need twin DRS zones at Monza of all places? Here, one DRS zone is one too many.
Date: September 10, 2011 02:56AM
Posted by: matt3454
Haven't Renault been allowed to adjust their engines over the past few years of the homologation or am I just making this up?

They don't seem significantly down on power compared to the rest.

Date: September 10, 2011 08:37AM
No engine is much down on power compared to others. You're probably talking only 10 or 15 bhp or so at the top end these days, but when the grid is so close, it does make a difference to lap times.

They were allowed catch up 2 or 3 years ago.
Date: September 10, 2011 11:48AM
The BBC FP3 commentary is brilliant today. :D

Just constant banter about run-offs, Karun Chanducks and general light-hearted bickering. :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy