Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!

Posted by elio 
So you think there will be an (illegal) feed on line for sky sports?

Theres about 20 of them right now.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Won't be lining the pockets of criminals in order to watch F1. Supporting a sport is a 2 way deal. You support the fans, they'll support you.
>
> But hey, with Murdoch involved now we might get some more pit to car radio broadcast...

But surely they'll want to hack F1 personnel next? And with most teams based in UK, this deal would have only worked if both would show all races live. Couldn't BBC have found other ways to cut costs, like reducing unneccessary graphics in news feeds etc (Election 2010 a good example)?
ye Whitmarsh says Bernie said that all bbc "highlights" will infact be full race coverage, so whether they'll just show skys feed at 6pm on a sunday on BBC3, or whether they'll record their own commentary for 2 hrs after the race on bbc1/2?

it's all very stupid/silly & complicated if you ask me

what happened to channel 4 and/or channel 5 being up for it??

they been overlooked by fom most likely

Re: Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!
Date: July 29, 2011 08:58PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
SchueyFan Wrote:
> It now seems that the BBC will broadcast not just
> highlights for those unloved 10 races, but the
> full race, according to Martin Whitmarsh.
>
> If that's true, then I think while it's a step
> backwards from what those in the UK have been used
> to, it isn't really a disaster.
>
> Sure the BBC broadcast will be just a no-frills
> re-transmission of the race, and not much else,
> but I think we can live without Brundle's
> grid-walks, Eddie's bad fashion and 'expert'
> comments etc.

TBH I could live with that, depending on how "extensive" the extensive highlights are. If Whitmarsh is right, sod it I'll deal with it.

They should keep the grid walk though.
I always said I'd take the pre-race/qualifying away, in favour of a short build up (grid-walk) and a good run down (the F1 forum is cheap) to cut costs. But not showing the races live? Whilst Wimbeldon gets wall to wall coverage, but a fraction of the viewers? Thanks BBC.

Pissed off BBC3 has been saved, despite showing almost nothing of value, and F1 takes the biggest hit, despite providing the largest viewer numbers for value for money for sports on the BBC.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted.

“It will be the only place to watch every race live.”

Sky’s plans are at an early stage having just announced the deal, and decisions are yet to be taken on who will be involved in its coverage.

[www.f1fanatic.co.uk]

____
Key Points:

1) Races shown on BBC likely to be season opener & finale, Britain, Monaco, Canada, USA, Brazil (if it's not the finale) and 4-5 other lunchtime races.

2) Wouldn't be prepared to only watch half as it's like needing both hands but only having one to use.

3) I hope the TEAMS (mostly Britain-based) demand it to be completely on free-to-air (but maybe have Sky sponsorship of the BBC F1 coverage to raise some money) and encourage, rather than force, us to watch Sky.
Streams. Don't accept this crap.
The problems I have are:

Will there be ad breaks mid race?

and what will happen to the commentary teams? I'm starting to enjoy Brundle and Coulthard...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sky say there will be no breaks. But so did ITV. And given the Ofcom violations regarding the amount of ad breaks in Skys NASCAR Coverage, I'll believe it when I see it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
What absolute @#$%&. What's shocked me too is that it's happening so soon - 2013 was the soonest a change in the F1 broadcasting was expected to happen.

And considering who currently runs Sky, I think we can assume they're lying about the supposed lack of ad breaks(Although with the phone hacking scandal we've got going on, there's a good chance Murdoch will end up jailed/ruined and News Corp dismantled by the start of 2012, so his media empire might play less of a role in live F1 coverage than we first thought).

Streams FTW. We don't have to put up with this BS.

sky & bbc will share commentators but have different presenters and analysts (for those races BBC & Sky share)

the commentators on the sky only races will still be the same

all 20 races will have the same commentary

Who are the commentators likely to be? I'm hoping Brundle is a given.

Well no-one in the F1 world itself seems duly bothered. Interesting to note Brundle's question in Q1 about who will be joining him and DC in the job centre.

he was referring to which driver would be out in Q1

i hope brundle too he is brilliant

If the commentators are indeed shared, then it's got to be Brundle if he wants it. If the commentators are different between the BBC and Sky then it might be different - he didn't seem happy Sky got the deal ( "not impressed" ) and I can't see him wanting only half the live races for the BBC... though if he could persuade the BBC to allow him to commentate from a studio in London for the highlights/delayed footage, then I can see that being quite tempting - it means flying out for 10 races while getting to spend more time with the family for the other half... being involved in F1 in any capacity I've always though must be horribly straining on relationships, and to be honest, other than his grid walk (and listening for dodgy engines, eg in Korea), the rest of his job could be done in the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 07:45PM by gav.
gav Wrote:
> If the commentators are indeed shared, then it's
> got to be Brundle if he wants it. If the
> commentators are different between the BBC and Sky
> then it might be different - he didn't seem happy
> Sky got the deal ( "not impressed" ) and I can't
> see him wanting only half the live races for the
> BBC... though if he could persuade the BBC to
> allow him to commentate from a studio in London
> for the highlights/delayed footage, then I can see
> that being quite tempting - it means flying out
> for 10 races while getting to spend more time with
> the family for the other half... being involved in
> F1 in any capacity I've always though must be
> horribly straining on relationships, and to be
> honest, other than his grid walk (and listening
> for dodgy engines, eg in Korea), the rest of his
> job could be done in the UK.

5Live are still providing coverage of every race, so I presume their commentary will be used for the highlights/delayed race.

EDIT: Misread your post and the information. James Allen is claiming that the commentators will definitely be shared (makes sense, especially when on-selling to countries such as Australia), and there'll be different presenters. Personally, I'd love to see Martin and DC continue.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 08:38PM by SchueyFan.
There's plenty of time for it all to change.

While the 5Live commentary team are brilliant (especially when Karun Chandhok joins them), their commentary doesn't suit TV when they have to cut away to other events during the qualifying and race (cricket updates, football updates, breaking news, whatever). With the practice sessions that's not an issue, as they're on 5Live Sport Extra (a digital radio station), as the F1 is all that's reported, but the main 5Live station is different - events are briefly interrupted to bring updates from elsewhere.
If James Allen goes back to commentary, I'm going to kill myself.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Been away for just over a week and come to no my luggage missing, missed two GP's with no results until yesterday and now I find this.

:(

Quite simply, the UK viewing figures are not big enough for Bernie to care whether he loses half of them or not. His markets are China, Brazil and other European countries, not the UK :(. Bernie doesnt care about us because it does not effect the size of his wallet.

Will I have a subscription to skysports? Well most probably because my dad will want one.

Will I enjoy it? Yes. And you know what, thats the worst part of it all :(.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy