Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!

Posted by elio 
Sad but true!
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Only 50% of races to be shown live on BBC, unsure of what else will be available to non-sky subscribers. I was just getting use to the no ads set-up.

Swear words .... swear words!!!!!
Won't be lining the pockets of criminals in order to watch F1. Supporting a sport is a 2 way deal. You support the fans, they'll support you.

But hey, with Murdoch involved now we might get some more pit to car radio broadcast...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

For 12 months of Sky Sports a new user will have to pay £487*. And that’s only if you want to see the action in standard definition.

To see every F1 race in HD next year the price goes up to an eye-watering £610.

[www.f1fanatic.co.uk]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
this is utterly ridiculous.

they show all of wimbledon, when most people are at work.

they show crap like snooker and golf and darts.

sports that hardly anyone really watches versus F1 numbers.

Terrible decision.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Well, I'm not game.
Admittedly, I already have access to a full Sky Sports package (I still live with my parents) but this news still leaves me feeling sick to my stomach. I watch Cricket on Sky and that is covered very well, but from what I've seen of the motorsport coverage it's just dire. The only plus side is that they've picked good commentators in the past - John Watson, Ben Edwards - even Murray Walker and Alan Jones at one point - but the rest of the coverage - yuck. In depth interviews like asking Nelson Piquet Jnr whether it's true his father is Nelson Piquet, repeatedly, or responding to a statement by Nigel Mansell just before a GPMasters race that his car is utterly f**ked and he is so disappointed and upset, by asking Tony Jardine what it's like for Nigel and the others to return to a race car after so long, yet again...

Perhaps they'll get their act together; if they do have some good commentators (Ben Edwards and John Watson...hell it'll be exactly like Eurosport a coupla decades back) and skimp on the TV adverts (huh...) it'll lessen the blow **for me** but I'd so rather watch it on the BBC - or rather the BBC lost it completely rather than having this alternating mess which is just going to ruin everything, in my opinion. :(
Yes, it's terrible.

Even for Australian viewers, presumably Sky won't just give us the feed for free, so we may end up going on Pay TV as well, or (maybe), worse, using American commentators...

X (@ed24f1)
not pleased with this decision, this is the slippery road towards paying for F1 completely in the future

not much of a consolation but at least they've said there won't be ad breaks
marwood82
not much of a consolation but at least they've said there won't be ad breaks

Which presumably means the PPV figure (for the race itself at least) will be astronomical, even by Sky standards. You won't just need the Sky Sports subscription. If there are no adverts, they'll make it PPV.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > not much of a consolation but at least they've
> said there won't be ad breaks
>
>
> Which presumably means the PPV figure (for the
> race itself at least) will be astronomical, even
> by Sky standards. You won't just need the Sky
> Sports subscription. If there are no adverts,
> they'll make it PPV.

thats not what they've said.

it will be on sky sports and sky sports news.
for it to be PPV it would have to be on sky box office.

probably something like adds along the bottom of the screen or something like that.
marwood82 Wrote:
> not much of a consolation but at least they've
> said there won't be ad breaks

ITV said there would be no ad breaks, and all practice and qualifying would be live (on ITV1-4). No practice sessions were ever broadcast, qualifying was often delayed, and every race ran with ad breaks. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Edit: If you want to see Skys motorsport coverage, then go watch the IndyCar coverage. Then try and tell me it's better than pathetic.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 11:14AM by DaveEllis.
Re: Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!
Date: July 29, 2011 11:15AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
WTF.

The BBC are "delighted" with the deal because it means F1 stays on BBC1. Do they really think that people are going to be arsed to watch the occasional race when they no longer have access to the full season? BBC are being limp dicks and Ecclestone is totally out of touch with the normal person who just wants to watch F1 and doesn't have loads of money. I can't afford Sky so that's me @#$%&.

I hope the BBC lose all their viewers and I hope the Sky coverage is shite. Then nobody will watch and it'll serve the cxxt right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 11:16AM by loque.
marwood82 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > not much of a consolation but at least
> they've
> > said there won't be ad breaks
> >
> >
> > Which presumably means the PPV figure (for the
> > race itself at least) will be astronomical,
> even
> > by Sky standards. You won't just need the Sky
> > Sports subscription. If there are no adverts,
> > they'll make it PPV.
>
>
> thats not what they've said.
>
> it will be on sky sports and sky sports news.
> for it to be PPV it would have to be on sky box
> office.
>
> probably something like adds along the bottom of
> the screen or something like that.

There is no need for it to be on Sky Box Office to screw people. If Sky shows 11 races then it works out at £45 per race on a normal Sky Sports subscription. So they are already screwing you without using PPV to do it. You just don't know it yet.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Are you absolutely kidding me? Does that mean im not going to be able to watch every race on the bbc sports website, only 50% of the races on my laptop? If they are going to do that they might as well show none of the F1 because 50% is no good to me, i want to be able to watch it all for free...

chances are, the season opener will be on bbc, the most of the european season where its in the middle of the day so people watch. Oh and about the "cost per race", a normal sky subscription gets you all the other sports right? I agree if you only want to watch f1, but for people like more, the cost gets quite diluted (not that i pay ;))

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 11:21AM by truecrysis.
loque Wrote:
>
> I hope the BBC lose all their viewers and I hope
> the Sky coverage is shite. Then nobody will watch
> and it'll serve the cxxt right.

well this problem does not concern me directly but i seriously hope that the cover will be brilliant so that i can continue enjoying the free internet stream
Just wait for it. Look what I found:

Following the announcement on Friday morning that the BBC are to share the broadcasting rights with BskyB from 2012, F1 teams are seeking clarification on what the deal means.
The deal, which has infuriated F1 fans in the UK and other European countries who share the BBC feed, and has made it into the top-10 "trending topics worldwide" on social networking site, Twitter, and could mean F1 fans having to pay to watch all of the F1 races.

Read more here: [www.thef1times.com]

____
DaveEllis Wrote:
> marwood82 Wrote:
> -----
> > not much of a consolation but at least they've
> > said there won't be ad breaks
>
> ITV said there would be no ad breaks, and all
> practice and qualifying would be live (on ITV1-4).
> No practice sessions were ever broadcast,
> qualifying was often delayed, and every race ran
> with ad breaks. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool
> me twice, shame on me.
>
> Edit: If you want to see Skys motorsport coverage,
> then go watch the IndyCar coverage. Then try and
> tell me it's better than pathetic.

yes their indycar coverage isn't great but then its on late, has an audience of about 6 people (one of which is me) and no one else shows it so there really is no motivation for them to spend money on extensive coverage when they can just lob 3 guys in a studio in milton keynes and directly hook into the US feed.

F1 is far more high profile for them than indycar, its on in a prime time slot and the bbc will still be showing it so their coverage will be constantly compared to the beebs.
the BBC are streets ahead when it comes to sports coverage, no argument there.
but for the sports they are actually bothered about sky are on the whole pretty good.

Their football coverage is good, adverts aside their cricket coverage is fine. if they put the same effort into the F1 coverage that they do to those then it could end up alright.

i'd expect them to show the practice sessions because with 4 sports channels there really is nothing on at 10am on a friday.

its just disappointing because the bbc's F1 coverage has been excellent.
Re: Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!
Date: July 29, 2011 11:39AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
LeeBeau Wrote:
> loque Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > I hope the BBC lose all their viewers and I
> hope
> > the Sky coverage is shite. Then nobody will
> watch
> > and it'll serve the cxxt right.
>
>
> well this problem does not concern me directly but
> i seriously hope that the cover will be brilliant
> so that i can continue enjoying the free internet
> stream

Last time I checked, Sky doesn't provide a "free internet stream".
Their football coverage is good, adverts aside their cricket coverage is fine.

Ah, so if you take out the bad stuff, it's fine? No, sorry - it's bad. You are paying almost £500 per year (over £600 if you want HD), and you're still being forced to see ads than your shows. That is what we call "getting f**ked".

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy