Ricciardo to HRT by Silverstone?

Posted by danm 
Re: Ricciardo to HRT by Silverstone?
Date: July 06, 2011 07:57PM
Posted by: nvooght
The difference with Ricciardo driving the HRT to Senna and Chandok is that Red Bull have bigger plans for him and only want him to drive in F1 before that happens, whereas with Senna etc they had to drive for their careers.

Date: July 06, 2011 08:19PM
Posted by: gav
Senna messed up his own career by being unable to dominate what most regard as inferior teammates.

Stars are more than capable of shining in the depths - Alonso launched his F1 career and reputation based on his performances in the then worst car on the grid.

What Red Bull are doing is exactly the same. It's up to Ricciardo to perform. He doesn't have to go beating Lotus's every race, just to get up to Liuzzi. If he can do that by seasons end, then it will be deemed a success.
Date: July 07, 2011 08:25AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I don't think HRT ruined Chandhok's career at all, it opened up lots of new doors for him in F1 - both driving and media - and also gave him a lot of respect and recognition throughout the F1 fan communities.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 08:31AM by SchueyFan.
Date: July 08, 2011 08:20PM
Posted by: EC83
Nobody said anything about HRT "ruining" careers(although I do think they're capable of it, and neither Senna nor Chandhok have been helped on their way by their 2010 drives), my point was that it's highly likely to be a detrimental environment for a rookie, because in that particular car and team it's questionable that any driver can show their potential, since they're not getting proper equipment to drive, and drivers are getting casually dumped out of the team as and when it suits Kolles, so it's not exactly conducive to driver confidence. It can't not be a risky move for a driver just entering F1. Ricciardo is a bit different, because he has RedBull behind him obviously, but it's still going to be a character-building start for him.

Stars can shine in the depths, yes, but HRT are a bit worse than just being in the depths. Of all the back of the grid F1 teams I can think of off the top of my head, both in terms of on-track performance and team management, only Life were clearly worse.

Date: July 09, 2011 01:13AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Well HRT have been pretty much on the same pace as Virgin in recent races

I'd say there have certainly been worst teams in terms of overall pace, Osella, Fondmetal, Eurobrun, Coloni

Remember the late 80s, and early 90s, there were teams way slower

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: July 09, 2011 08:25AM
Posted by: gav
Indeed, it's all relative. HRT (and indeed Virgin and Lotus) are made to look worse due to how close the upper part of the grid is.

In the 80s and 90s teams were turning up with cars that should never have been allowed on the track for the safety of their own drivers, let alone that of other teams.
Date: July 13, 2011 06:11PM
Posted by: kubica2
Ricciardos Silverstone performance = -1 for the priviledged class!
Ricciardo did no better then Senna ever did at HRT, infact it was probably the worst rookie first race by any f1 driver in the last 15 years. over a minute behind his teammate.
Affording the best car in gokarts and junior formulae and then having the richest sponsors does not mean you are a great talent.
First time not racing in a top car in a race in his whole life hopefully has brought him down to earth and now he will work for his seat in f1. but if he takes to long to get up to speed, please give a more worthy driver an opportunity.
Date: July 13, 2011 06:51PM
Posted by: EC83
The overwhelming impression I got of Ricciardo at the weekend was actually that he was too nice. He just seemed happy to have made it into F1, almost like he'd achieved his goal already. In my experience drivers with that mentality get slaughtered.

Date: July 13, 2011 08:01PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
True, but it was his first time in the car, and in changeable conditions, I think he did a decent job and didn't make any obvious mistakes.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:23PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
infact it was probably the worst rookie first race by any f1 driver in the last 15 years.

Yuji Ide would like a word with you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 13, 2011 09:45PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
He kept it on the road in a difficult car, with no shunts or bumps. What more can you ask for with no experience in that car?

I think too much is expected of him at this point in, especially with a few people predicting he'd easily beat Liuzzi, a driver with far more experience. Give Daniel some time, as it's nigh-on impossible to be quick out of the box in a Hispania.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 09:50PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: July 13, 2011 11:17PM
Posted by: chet
Hard to judge performance. If Germany is dry should be better.

Looking at his times he was awfully slow at the end. His pace would have been largely dictated by traffic, in which case you have to believe this is something he will improve with. Still his pace in the final stint compared to Luizzi is rather disappointing when you consider Luizzi would have had the same conditions. Perhaps it's fitness idk.

We'll give him 3 races before we judge I guess but tbh I really wonder how much racing for HRT dodging traffic all day will help him. Give him an STR and maybe that'll be fair but I really dont know how much useful information we can get from any rookie driving a car like that, that slow and at the back.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 13, 2011 11:48PM
Posted by: Guimengo
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> infact it was probably the worst rookie first race
> by any f1 driver in the last 15 years.
>
> Yuji Ide would like a word with you.

Unfortunately Yuji Ide would get lost and turn into the wrong hand of a 1-way street when trying to get a word with him, every few minutes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy