Ricciardo to HRT by Silverstone?

Posted by danm 
Ricciardo to HRT by Silverstone?
Date: June 30, 2011 06:12PM
Posted by: danm
Source: [www.gpupdate.net]

Thursday 30 June 2011

Daniel Ricciardo has exclusively told GPUpdate.net that he will be joining Hispania Racing from this weekend’s British Grand Prix. The 21-year-old from Perth, Toro Rosso’s reserve driver, is tipped to be replacing Narain Karthikeyan.

The 2009 British Formula 3 Champion, Ricciardo is currently competing in the World Series by Renault and will continue to do so alongside his Hispania role. So far this season, he has impressed with Friday morning practice drives for Toro Rosso, trading places with either Sebastién Buemi or Jaime Alguersuari.

“I don’t know if it’s 100 percent but there’s definitively a very good chance of that happening,” Ricciardo told GPUpdate.net by telephone upon his arrival in Budapest, where he is competing in this weekend’s World Series by Renault rounds.

“I was informed and it could well be on the cards. At least from my side, I hope it’s going to go forward and it seemed pretty positive, so it looks like it could be quite cool.”

Ricciardo added that he should remain with HRT until the end of the season.

“I think that should be the plan, to see the season out, and I’ll also continue doing World Series,” he explained. “So it’s going to be a busy end to the year and I’m really, really excited. Hopefully I can get some experience and know what it’s all about.”

Although neither Hispania nor Toro Rosso have issued press releases, it is believed Karthikeyan is the driver who will be replaced at the Spanish team, but with the exception of the Indian Grand Prix due to contractual obligations.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Re: Ricciardo to HRT by Silverstone?
Date: June 30, 2011 06:21PM
Posted by: Carlitox
I don't think it's possible, however, he deserves an opportunity. The fact that he's being sponsored by Red Bull is vital, because if he wasn't, his career would be in danger of being wasted, just like Bruno Senna.

But to kick out Karthikeyan is difficult ($$$$$$$;-)) and Liuzzi is beating the Virgins regularly. So..?

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: June 30, 2011 06:26PM
Time to see how Liuzzi really is.

He's paid to be there by Force India, the same as Ricciardo will be by Red Bull.

Amusing, a team sponsored by others really. LOL.

There are rumours suggesting TATA Motors want to work with Caterham Cars too, a la Tony Fernandes owned.

With the Indian GP coming up, what's not to suggest pitching Narain and Karun for a one race marketing ploy? That is is TATA pulls the plug fully on HRT. Their days truly are numbered.

Date: June 30, 2011 07:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
Rumours are that HRT are planning on a reorganization. It would mean that Kolles will leave (yay!) and he's being linked to the position of teamboss at Williams (OHNOES!!!11).
Date: June 30, 2011 07:56PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think that Narain will be back in the HRT for India, according to some reports. Also, Karun is supposed to be in talks with Lotus to replace Trulli for that race.

Good news to have another Australian in F1, but I think going to HRT has some potential downsides as well for Ricciardo, to be honest. In a very difficult car, up against an experienced driver who is used to the car and team, it will be tough for him. Hopefully he can do a good job, because if he's regularly beaten by Liuzzi, it won't be a good look, and may push him down the Red Bull pecking order.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 30, 2011 08:04PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
It's confirmed by ESPN F1.

[en.espnf1.com]

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: June 30, 2011 10:33PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Kolles was never one to respect driver's contracts, he's always done that and always will. It amazes me he's being able to sack Narain for now.
Date: July 01, 2011 01:00AM
Posted by: chet
Let's race a guy who hasnt race since 2005 and put him in the worst car on the grid. Im sure he'll be fine.

Apparently the TATA contract was performance based anyway. Given that Narain was the least experienced driver (Given that it had been so long!) he had a tough job to meet standards.

Losing him is no surprise, the surprise was HRT hiring him with a performance based deal from TATA.

The sooner Kolles goes the sooner the team will be better off IMO. The guy has as much a place on the grid as Narain!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 01, 2011 10:18AM
There is no way Williams would open up to Kolles. That is suicide!

Date: July 01, 2011 05:55PM
Posted by: truecrysis
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no way Williams would open up to Kolles.
> That is suicide!

And how they are doing so far isn't...?

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: July 02, 2011 01:23AM
Posted by: **Taylor**
Ricciardo will easily outperform Liuzzi over the balance of the season, which will lead to an STR drive for 2012... UNLESS @aussiegrit decides to either hang up his (F1) Helmet, or switch from a Bull to a Horse (Prancing) for a final hurrah, in 2012 #thatsmyprediction

Date: July 02, 2011 06:17PM
Obviously Daniel doesn't have much choice, but it could be quite a risky move to go to HRT.

He's up against an experienced driver, in the worst car on the grid, which looks like a dog to drive, even compared to the STR he's used to. If nothing else, he may lose some support of the Australian public. I was talking to a friend today who watches F1 but doesn't know a great deal about it, and he was saying how if Ricciardo was 12th or 15th on the grid then that would be great. Considering he won't be any higher than 22nd, realistically, then it could be a shock for some.

Hopefully he can do a great job and regularly beat Liuzzi. I think Dan's qualifying speed is excellent, but I'm not so sure about his racecraft, so it wil lbe interesting to see how he goes.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 02, 2011 07:40PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
SchueyFan Wrote:
> I think Dan's qualifying speed is
> excellent, but I'm not so sure about his
> racecraft,

that's probably the reason why rb bought that spot for him, it will definitely be interesting to see how he'll manage but i don't think it would be that big of a deal from rb's point of view if he was to mess some stuff up. either way it will be a great warmup for him for next season (rbr? str?).
Date: July 02, 2011 11:16PM
Posted by: gav
Clearly they expect him to make the odd cockup, otherwise they'd have stuck him straight in the Toro Rosso. It's what back of the grid cars are for - cutting your teeth. If he @#$%& up, then it doesn't matter - he's just learning the ropes.

From what I'm reading, what's of more significance is that Hispania are desperately trying to butter Red Bull into being a technical partner of some description. It's plainly obvious in the Hispania statement - they want Red Bull support.
Date: July 03, 2011 01:47AM
Posted by: nvooght
To be fair though, that would be a good thing for them.

Date: July 03, 2011 01:14PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
> Clearly they expect him to make the odd cockup,
> otherwise they'd have stuck him straight in the
> Toro Rosso. It's what back of the grid cars are
> for - cutting your teeth. If he @#$%& up, then it
> doesn't matter - he's just learning the ropes.
>
> From what I'm reading, what's of more significance
> is that Hispania are desperately trying to butter
> Red Bull into being a technical partner of some
> description. It's plainly obvious in the Hispania
> statement - they want Red Bull support.

To make it more interesting, where there not rumours about Mercedes wanting STR as their B-team? Suggesting RBR selling STR in place of HRT maybe?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 03, 2011 05:42PM
Ricciardo's had a weekend from hell in the Formula Renault 3.5 series this weekend, crashing on the way to the grid on Saturday in wet conditions, and finishing 13th in Race 2.

Hopefully he can keep his mind under control for Silverstone, especially as Jean-Eric Vergne, one year behind Ricciardo on the ladder, is showing very impressive form.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 03, 2011 08:54PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
SchueyFan Wrote:
> crashing on the
> way to the grid on Saturday

indeed, that was a bad one. Not to put him down or anything, i know he's quick, but is there a certain reason why red bull picks ricciardo over e.g. vergne, who's shown some solid stuff this year (or someone from another series with red bull sponsorship)?

edit: oh and if anyone saw the race today, why were canamasas and some others penalised, i missed it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 02:06PM by LeeBeau.
Date: July 04, 2011 12:09PM
Ricciardo is one year ahead of Vergne (i.e. Ricciardo won British F3 in 2009, Vergne in 2010), so that's why he gets an opportunity first.

There really is a lot of pressure on him, despite what he may say, not to mention on Buemi and Alguersuari.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 06, 2011 07:41PM
Posted by: EC83
I agree with Gav and others about back of the grid cars being theoretically the best for learning the ropes in, but regarding the HRT, I think that that car should be avoided at all costs even by rookies, because it's so @#$%&. See the negative effects on Senna's and Chandhok's careers already.

Regarding HRT wanting RedBull support - of course they will do, and hopefully RedBull won't take them any more seriously than most of the rest of us do. I want to see that joke of a team die on its arse, and take Kolles out of the sport for good with it.

But anyway, a less than ideal start for Ricciardo's F1 career coming up, hope he can make the best of it before he gets into a proper car and team for 2012.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy