If Webber Retires... That Coveted No.2 Red Bull spot goes to...

Posted by danm 
I dont see it as anyone except Vergne or Ricciardo. Come to think of it, why haven't these two replaced the Toro Rosso drivers?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
What about Brendon Hartley, people? I know he replaced DC as official reserve driver a couple of years ago, but he seems to have disappeared off the radar since then somehow.

I'd love to see both Buemi and Alguasuari with egg on their faces and get dropped in favour of two new rookies in Hartley and Ricciardo.

Buemi does get the slight nod out of the two existing though.

Webber could stay indeed, he's definitely solid lying 3rd in the championship right now its almost criminal to let him go next season.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Another thought...why not Kobayashi?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hang on... he wasn't deemed good enough for
> Renault, so why would the best team on the grid
> want him?

I don't think they chose Heidfeld over Senna because of talent....I think it was more they needed an experienced driver, to partner the relatively inexperienced (although good) Petrov. Heidfeld's not been amazing this season..surely Senna could have done better?

Anyway, back on topic: the ideal driver for Red Bull drive would have been Kimi, but that's almost certainly not going to happen. In all truthfullness, I think Red Bull will persuade Webber to stay one more season, or maybe half a season or something. Then replace him with a Toro Rosso driver (maybe Buemi) then he (Buemi at STR) gets replaced with Hartley or Ricciardo for the rest of the season.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Hartley was dropped by RedBull last year, so its not going to be him.

Next season is going to be a swansong for a few golden oldies I think - Trulli and Rubens seem like their time is up, and the motivation (especially Rubens at Williams) is rocky. It may even happen at the end of this season, who knows?

Both Williams and Lotus wouldn't want to field two rookies, that's for sure. So it opens the doors for other aging drivers, the likes of Massa/Button/Webber/Heidfeld etc to fill the voids, and again opening up their more prized seats.

Lot's of shuffling to be had, on paper. I wondered the possibility of a Massa/Webber straight swap.

Massa could serve a good few more seasons in a Red Bull; the same way Webber could give that bit more of an edge that Ferrari need in a number 2 that Massa seems to have lost. He's perfect.

Plus Ferrari need only to keep him on a one year deal, pushing two then he would retire, and then sign on a new rookie like Kobayashi or Perez. It keeps most of the other teams tidy and avoids any change at McLaren (which I feel is very balanced right now!).

So much what if and all that junk. I guess we just have to wait and see.

I doubt Webber would accept a number 2 role alongside Alonso. He wasn't exactly happy last year when he accused RedBull of favouring Vettel.
If Horner's right and he wants to resign, then he is resigning as a number 2.

There is no possible way he will ever beat Vettel now. He hasnt even been close!!

Whilst I accept Button will never beat Lewis, he has been close, and the points say enough. But Vettel is king of 1 lap. He has the best car but even still IMO he would still have as many poles if he were against Lewis/Alonso. His wins have been pretty good, some hard worked some easy but Vettel shown this season once he has luck he will win. I still dislike Vettel but my opinion of him as a driver has risen massively since this season.

I guess Webber realizes he will never get such an amazing car. It's similar to Rubens at Ferrari. He probably knew he wouldn't beat the maestro but also knew he would not get another car capable of wins. Webber is racing the best drivers in f1 right now, better that than racing mid-field against Sutil where your never far from a crash :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Whilst I accept Button will never beat Lewis, he has been close, and the points say enough.

Button won't beat Lewis on speed, but he can (and has done) several times on race craft.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Which is why they make an IMMENSE team pairing, the can outdo eachother in different ways, usually when one has a bad day, the other has an excellent one.

Prime examples, Monaco 2011/Melbourne 2010 etc.

All the M's... Monza 2010. Button seems more capable of coming back from a bad Saturday (Barcelona 2011), but Lewis seems more capable of winning when in the top 3. Deffo a brilliant combo.

Webber and Vettel certainly were an awesome combo last year too, likewise when one did bad the other tended to do well. This year though Vettel is on another level. Its pretty clear to see that Button, Lewis, and Alonso imo have stepped up a little. Alonso has impressed me quite abit this year, and bar Monaco Hamilton's season has been awesome.

Webber hasn't been as bad as we think really. He's still had some good finishes and he's got a good points haul. It's just dwarfed by Vettels accomplishments so far.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Being reported on a few different sites.

Lewis Hamilton's future at McLaren has come under fresh scrutiny following a secret meeting with Red Bull in Montreal on Saturday.

It has been revealed that Hamilton met with team principal Christian Horner in Red Bull's paddock hours after qualifying fifth for the Montreal Grand Prix.

The Briton - contracted until the end of 2012 - reportedly ventured into Red Bull's area unannounced and asked one of the catering staff to fetch Horner, before the two chatted for around 15 minutes.

A spokesman for Hamilton's management later played down the 'social visit', denying it had anything to do with his contract at McLaren.

"Neither Lewis nor his management team are in discussions with Red Bull," the spokesman told The Daily Telegraph.

"Lewis is happy at McLaren and feels positive that he can have a say in winning championships there."

But the public nature of his meeting - in the building right next door to McLaren's paddock - suggests Hamilton is sending a message to his team that he is unsettled.

Speculation over his future has become a frequent topic of conversation in Formula One this season, as McLaren struggles to keep up with the sheer pace of Red Bull.
chet Wrote:
> All the M's...

+ Montreal 2011!

Would like to see the pair team'd up. Probably the two guys with the most raw pace. Have a feeling Vettel would edge qualifying, but the races would be awesome to watch :D!

Still, I think two drivers like these two in the same team would not work as well. If I were Horner id be on the phone to Kobayashi!

Kobyashi has some brilliant spacial awareness, his overtakes are wonderfully clean.

It's a shame that the Sauber doesn't have the raw grunt to showcase this more often on a dry track. He really could be superb in a Ferrari or a McLaren. Not quite Red Bull, because you'd probably not see him overtake enough, haha.

Another spanner in the mix, if Lewis drifted to Red Bull, who then takes his vacant McLaren seat?

I very much doubt McLaren would take on two mature drivers, they don't seem the type in this day and age.

Di Resta to Mclaren if Lewis goes (which I hope he doesn't)?

Nico has to be top of their list if Lewis goes.

Maybe even Di Resta?

If Lewis does indeed go, then it has to be Nico. I'd even be tempted to say Mclaren might contact Kimi again (We could only dream!). I'd be abit disappointed if Lewis left though. I think I would rather see Vettel and Lewis on track fighting in two different teams, it adds more to it imo but then ive always seen Nico as a future Mclaren man.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Webber hasn't been as bad as we think really.

idd, he's got 4 fastest laps against vettel's 0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 02:55PM by LeeBeau.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy