Bahrain GP - A disgrace! Don't watch it.

Posted by elio 
Bahrain GP - A disgrace! Don't watch it.
Date: June 03, 2011 11:38PM
Posted by: elio
Dear all

I hear that the Bahrain GP is to go ahead despite the fact that the government there still think it is OK to shoot protesters dead in the street. F1 muddied its own name in the '80s by continuing to go to South Africa during apartite. This is worse.

I won't be watching the race for this reason.

Will you?
Re: Bahrain GP - A disgrace! Don't watch it.
Date: June 03, 2011 11:58PM
Posted by: chet
I may not agree with what has gone on there but I dont watch F1 races with some sort of political agenda. I watch F1 because I love it. Why wouldn't I watch it?

What would not watching it achieve?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 04, 2011 12:21AM
Posted by: matt3454
i probably won't watch it anyway as i will be most likely at work at that time and the championship will have ended a long time ago.

(and its a very redbull kind of track).

Date: June 04, 2011 11:42AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Of course it's a disgraceful decision to go to Bahrain, but I'm not sure I'll boycott watching the race just yet.

I suppose the big winner from this is the Indian GP, as they get a 'get out of jail free' card to give them more time to complete the track.

If you read between the lines, the Indian track wasn't ready, and Bahrain coincidentally fitted in perfectly as an excuse to move India.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 11:42AM by SchueyFan.
Date: June 04, 2011 11:56AM
Posted by: gav
Ah yes, not watching the race. A proven method of bringing peace to a troubled area.

Why doesn't this forum have a rolleyes smiley?
Date: June 04, 2011 12:02PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Even if you ignore what Gav said, and pretend that this somehow will help the situation, do you really think people won't watch? You'd maybe get 10 people here not to watch it. Maybe another 10 on TBK, maybe another 10 on another forum. So you'll possibly take 1000, maybe 10,000 at most out of the viewing figures of several million.

That'll be well inside the tolerances they have for the figures.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 04, 2011 12:09PM
Posted by: nvooght
Whilst i dont agree with the race being held in Bahrain.

But like alot of people I watch F1 for F1 and so will watch any race thats on tv.

Date: June 04, 2011 12:09PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
yes, i won't watch & it will be a great blow to bahrain, they'll be sorry for harrassing their peoples after they learn in october that a certain estonian guy didn't watch the f1 broadcast and they shall be ashamed of themselves. this might even call for military action by the whole region there but i just don't care - i will not watch - the most meaningful of statements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 03:30PM by LeeBeau.
Date: June 04, 2011 03:48PM
Posted by: Morbid
elio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear all
>
> I hear that the Bahrain GP is to go ahead despite
> the fact that the government there still think it
> is OK to shoot protesters dead in the street. F1
> muddied its own name in the '80s by continuing to
> go to South Africa during apartite. This is
> worse.

F1 would never go to a country that oppresses it's own people with violent force.

Anyway, Bernie brokered the deal, and we all know how he stands on dictators and on the use of force. The reinstatement shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 04, 2011 04:04PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Anyway, Bernie brokered the deal, and we all know how he stands on dictators and on the use of force. The reinstatement shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone.

Not a surprise Bernie voted it back, but all 26 FIA Representatives voted it back too.

All 27 people involved (26 FIA + Bernie) wanted it back, which is staggering really.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 04, 2011 06:30PM
Posted by: Slash
irrespectfull

is this why they announced they would be open to modify the 2013 rules?... i don't know i think this was a bad desicion.. even if chances are it won't even happen
Date: June 05, 2011 09:13PM
Posted by: EC83
I want to watch F1. If there's a race taking place and it's on the TV, I'll watch it. It's really that simple.
Watching a particular race is no reflection on whether you support the political regime in that country or not, and I'm not being guilt-tripped into feeling bad about watching something I love watching just because the political climate in that country at that time is controversial.
Personally I can't believe anybody would boycott watching an F1 race because it's in Bahrain. If you think it's achieving something, good for you I guess, but in reality it's achieving @#$%& all. And you're missing a race you'd probably enjoy watching... For what?
If we thought this way about every race we felt was being held in a country with dodgy political circumstances, we'd probably only watch half the races each season.

Date: June 05, 2011 11:10PM
Posted by: mortal
We shouldn't watch Melbourne because according to Mark Webber, Victoria is a 'Nanny State!" :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 05, 2011 11:37PM
Posted by: Nickv
Boycotting this race will be as useful as copying some Facebook status in an attempt to cure cancer. Some will be naive enough to do it, most will just ignore it and continue what they were doing and in the end, nothing changes.
Date: June 07, 2011 01:06PM
Posted by: danm
Does the same apply to the German GP because of the Nazis?

...the French GP because of Waterloo?

...the Japanese GP because of Pearl Harbour?

...Korean GP because of the Korean War?

...Argentinian GP because of the Falklands War?

...Spanish GP because of the Armada Sinking?

something for everyone really, lol...

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 07, 2011 02:04PM
Posted by: pankykapus
...the Canadian GP because of Bieber?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 02:05PM by pankykapus.
Date: June 07, 2011 02:39PM
Posted by: Slash
i ain't watching texas next year
Date: June 07, 2011 03:22PM
Posted by: Morbid
danm Wrote:
> Does the same apply to the German GP because of
> the Nazis?
>
> ...the French GP because of Waterloo?
>
> ...the Japanese GP because of Pearl Harbour?
>
> ...Korean GP because of the Korean War?
>
> ...Argentinian GP because of the Falklands War?
>
> ...Spanish GP because of the Armada Sinking?
>
>
> something for everyone really, lol...

That is a poor and even flawed reductio ad absurdum. All these examples are redundant, because they deal with regimes that over and done with. This is even true for Korea, as the event is not held in North Korea. I might even add, that I would side with Napoleon over Wellington and his allies any day of the year.

What is relevant is the regime that is place DURING the GP. The above examples are things of the past. This is the present day!

And for those that missed it in my previous post, the picture above is of "the Tankman" offering his oppressors resistance, here represented by the Chinese army. I know most forumites are young, take democracy and freedom for granted (some like the forumite quoted even think it is redundant and prefer fascist rule), and think politics are boring, but some here have to remember the massacre of 1989 and Tiananmen Square.

Little has changed since then, and the Chinese authorities still use massive amounts of force and brutalization to keep their population in check - just as it is in Bahrain.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 07, 2011 05:15PM
Posted by: danm
My comment was said in jest and wit (like yours earlier) aimed at the idea of choosing to not want to watch a certain gp event because of xxx historical reason/event... etc.

Regardless of what is going on in the physical sense of a place past or present, I was mocking the fact of finding any old reason to not actually watch it on tv. Be it now, or then. A reason is a reason.

So whilst the 'flawed reductio ad absurdum' might be applied, it doesn't really fit as it was merely a joke.

I thought the wit was evident enough.

But on topic, the sports event will come and go.

I can see why there would be uproar, turning a blind eye to the situation, hosting the race, and leaving.

But realistically, what exactly is the issue, other than security for the event itself; and the humanity of being ignorant to the conflict happening there? What exactly is the problem with just racing, as was planned?

Not racing there isn't going to achieve anything. No anti-race protest is going to stop people fighting either, and as long as it is safe, it goes ahead.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 05:23PM by danm.
Date: June 07, 2011 07:03PM
Posted by: Guimengo
danm Wrote:
> Does the same apply to the German GP because of
> the Nazis?
>
> ...Argentinian GP because of the Falklands War?

Any possible Argentine GPs ever should be boycotted just simply due to common sense ;).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy