Monaco GP *spoilers*

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Re: Monaco GP *spoilers*
Date: May 31, 2011 05:01PM
Posted by: truecrysis
That was like watching a highlight reel of silly incidents at monaco, except all of them were from 1 session. Thats very poor... You would have thought with 30 mins time, they would all be a bit more sensible, some of those queues were horrendous!

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: May 31, 2011 06:46PM
Posted by: damunoz
WTF!!??? GP2 guys can't even going well in Monaco's GP4??

Back to basics... I feel like a newbie! hahahahaa!!!
Date: May 31, 2011 07:20PM
Posted by: EC83
LMAO at the GP2 crew! Looks like the future of F1 is interesting with these dudes waiting in the wings.
And, yeah, it would be Grosjean who lost out :P

Date: June 01, 2011 12:03PM
Posted by: J i m
I have an inkling that Grosjean is set to be the Pantano of his time... awesome in GP2 and like for like categories... but useless in anything above it :P

Date: June 01, 2011 12:32PM
Posted by: nvooght
I wouldnt rate Grosjean on his time in F1.

Hes a lot better than it appears just looking at those few races.

Date: June 03, 2011 03:57PM
Yes... well... he's not exactly dominating GP2 either... yet he's been there for donkies years and has a "meh" field to compete against.

Date: June 03, 2011 05:31PM
Posted by: Morbid
He won the inaugural GP2 Asia championship (edit: and this years championship), and in the 2009 GP 2 championship, he missed the last four rounds, which would probably have seen him challenge Vitaly Petrov for 2nd and beating Lucas di Grassi for 3rd. Of course Nico Hülkenberg was beyond reach, but racers like Pastor Maldonado, Jérôme d'Ambrosio, Sergio Pérez, Kamui Kobayashi and Karun Chandhok were all beaten good and well. If they deserve their ride in F1, I find it hard to believe that Grosjean does not. It was just Renault being Renault and giving all their attention and spoils to Fernando Alonso. None of those previously mentioned would have done even close to well in that team.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 05:36PM by Morbid.
Date: June 04, 2011 04:07PM
Whilst I have no doubt Grosjean is as worthy as Maldonaldo, Perez, Koybayashi, Nakajima, Senna, Chandhok etc... He sunk without a trace when he was thrown in at the deep end to replace Piquet, and now there are rumours that he's about to replace Heidfeld.

Wouldn't it be far more sensible and fairer to his career to give him a full winter's testing ahead of a debut at the start of 2012, instead of bunging him in the deep end mid-season again with no testing?

Date: June 04, 2011 06:49PM
Posted by: msater
:( I want Bruno Senna to replace Heidfeld, even for one race...just to see how he gets on in a good team and car (compared to last year's HRT, anything is good! :D)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 05, 2011 01:57AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I posted this over at another forum, but thought I would post it here as well just in case anyone was thinking about going to the Grand Prix at some point.

---

As some of you have seen on Twitter, I have been lucky enough to do this for Monaco 2011 and it was such an awesome weekend that I would probably do this again in the future. But this would be quite far in the future due to the sheer cost of it.

I went with my Dad and did a package deal with Thomas Cook Sport, as it worked out cheaper to do it with them as the cost of transfers to hotels, train tickets etc were included and sorted for us. We flew out on the Friday and came back on the Monday with Easyjet.

The flights were to Nice as that is the nearest airport as well being a 20 minute train journey to Monaco. We booked this way back in September, which is an absolute must as you will not get in anywhere if you leave it any later, and the same goes for your tickets for the GP.

We got in one of the cheapest hotels on the books, which was a 2 star Ibis pretty much next door to the train station. It's obviously not going to be fantastic but it was better than I was expecting, with an onsite bar/restaurant, air conditioned rooms and free wifi. The prices are ramped up to maximum because of the weekend so the rooms were 140 euros a night (Pretty much 1 euro to a GBP at the moment). I was told we got the second to last room when we booked.

Eating out in Nice wasn't an issue as there were loads of restaurants in the centre and no one took offence to my broken French Again though, because of the exchange rate, this was quite expensive. We ate out for 3 evenings and 2 lunches and for two of us this was often coming in at around 35 euros everytime. Two cokes at one normal cafe came to 9 euros. In total I think we spent around 200 euros just eating out.

We only had tickets to race day, and we were in the large grandstand at tabac corner facing the harbour. As I walked up the stairs of the grandstand I knew instantly that we could not have got better seats. When I say seats, I do mean plastic benches though. I won't pussy-foot around on cost, the tickets were 430 euros each. The cost of this grandstand differs between the top and the bottom due to the amount you can see. Being at the top meant we could see the exit of the tunnel all the way to the swimming pool section. A large screen TV was also on the hill to the left. The lower ticket price wasn't much different either (I think it was about 50 or 60 euros cheaper).

I was extremely impressed with how it was organised. Not once did I feel lost. The back of the tickets had a map and there are massive easy to read signs over the streets. Getting lunch was also easy and surprisingly not as expensive as we thought considering the occasion and where you are. They had small sandwich bars at the back of the grandstands, where two baguettes and two cokes came to about 13 euros.

If you're going to do this, you really have to have a grandstand ticket as has been said on many forums, but actually being there and seeing where general admission gets you I can see why. You really are up in the heavens on the side of a hill with barely any view of what's going on, and you're still paying a decent amount for that of around 80 or 90 euros each. I've heard stories of people having to get there the night before anything starts to get the best spots.

At the end, due to the massive crowd and everyone heading for the train station, we decided to hang around and explore, and after a while they opened the track up so you can walk around. You really do appreciate the drivers more I think after you have walked a lap, as parts of the track are unbelievably narrow. The climb upto Mirabeau from turn 1 is also quite steep!

The trains were running up to midnight if you were hanging around, and these were running every 15 or so minutes back to Nice.

Like I say, it was a brilliant weekend, but the cost is horrendous. It took quite abit of time saving up before we booked this and then you have to book insanely early to get in anywhere. But I think this should definitely be on every motorsport guys list of GPs to go to in their lifetime.

Date: June 05, 2011 02:49AM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wouldn't it be far more sensible and fairer to his
> career to give him a full winter's testing ahead
> of a debut at the start of 2012, instead of
> bunging him in the deep end mid-season again with
> no testing?

It probably would. However, I think the current Renault team is far more capable of catering for the needs of a rookie, than they were with Alonso at the helm.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 02:49AM by Morbid.
Date: June 05, 2011 09:58AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Nice story 97kirkc, as you said, I think it's definitely on everyone's bucket list.

Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> J i m Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wouldn't it be far more sensible and fairer to
> his
> > career to give him a full winter's testing
> ahead
> > of a debut at the start of 2012, instead of
> > bunging him in the deep end mid-season again
> with
> > no testing?
>
> It probably would. However, I think the current
> Renault team is far more capable of catering for
> the needs of a rookie, than they were with Alonso
> at the helm.

And also the car isn't a complete dog.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 05, 2011 10:35AM
Posted by: gav
Nice read Chris, cheers. :)
Date: June 07, 2011 02:53PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
It was a great read 97kirkc (Y) would you happen to have some more pics you could share
Date: June 10, 2011 01:51PM
Posted by: alexf1man
This picture shows how tense it was at the front before the red flag :)
Date: June 10, 2011 03:56PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Here's a link to a bunch of photos I took. These are completely unsorted so there are some crap ones in there as well!

[picasaweb.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy